Author Topic: kittens  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: kittens
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 18:07:30 PM »
Ah right, didn't realise the situation was so bad. Good luck in finding a new playmate, and there is no time span on getting a new cat - I personally do it quite quickly, as I find it helps me.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 18:06:34 PM »
Are you on your own out there?

Offline whackycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 18:05:38 PM »
i absolutely love it 21 degrees today been for a stroll on the beach and had a barbecue in garden but miss my family and friends terribly

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 18:03:09 PM »
Must be nice

Offline whackycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 18:01:25 PM »
yes born and bred in portsmouth and moved to sussex and then spain

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 18:00:01 PM »
But you are english yes?

Offline whackycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 17:58:02 PM »
spain

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 17:56:53 PM »
What country are you in WC?

Offline whackycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 17:51:47 PM »
well firstly i think the prob is the kittens were found on a builders site the mum has gone and the rescue centre has over 200 cats and it is in spain so kind of dont have as many rules etc i think its not like they come and check the house out first you can leave that day with a pet, as there are so many cats and dogs roaming freely i see at least one or two dogs or cats dead on the roadside each week due to people getting them and dumping them somewhere and unfortunately ending up on the busy roads and causing an accident, but after further thought i have decided it would be too heartbreaking if anything happened, to these poor ickle kittens as i am aware that being away from the mum so early is not good, I would be able to commit myself as i dont work at present, but i went back again to the rescue centre today and have decieded i would op for one around luckys age so hopefully she would have a playmate she is nearly one. However i am going to leave it for a bit longer for us all to say our goodbyes to sox.  thanks for your advice though

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 13:40:56 PM »
Glad it wasn't just me Ela!! I can see your point about we all have to learn sometime, but personally, I would prefer someone who has fostered for us already, so we know what they are like, it isn't something that every fosterer can do, i know I can't do it, so I would want to know 110% that the person would be able to first. But, yes, it shouldl be the whole litter and not just one kitten.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 10:11:51 AM »
I too am puzzled, I cannot imagine any rescue allowing one kitten to be taken in so young, and as Desley says you cannot have such a young kitten mixing with your resident cat.

I personally have no problem people  offering to bottle feed  who have never done it before as we all have to learn sometime.  I would hope if the litter was not too large a person would take all the litter  It  is a big commitment and needs to be discussed through and support from the rescue needs to be available 24/7
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 22:55:14 PM »
I am a bit puzzled why a rescue would allow you to do this unless you are already an established fosterer with them, it is a lot of work, and not something that everyone can do - I have fostered for nearly 3 years now, and I wouldnt' take on that kind of work with working full time (we do have people who are used to hand rearing and are retired though). I think you are right to want to help another cat, but you wouldnt be able to let a kitten like that near your other cat anyway, as they dont have a good immune system, so it is too risky on the little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:58:47 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum,    :welcome:

I think it is an excellent idea to give one of those young babes a good home as long as you and your partner are going to be prepared for the four hourly bottle feeds for the next two/three or maybe four weeks. 

Of course only you can decide whether you feel able to take one on – in my experience kittens are running around in next to no time and they will probably be lapping properly on their own by about five weeks or maybe even earlier than that.  So the bottle feeding should only be a short term thing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline whackycat

• Adult Cat
kittens
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:41:32 AM »
Popped to local rescue place to see about doing some voluntary dog walking to help my little girl have something to focus on after losing sox, lucky still sad!!!!  whilst we were there we saw 10 day old kittens which have been abandoned and have no mummy I debated whether to get one they said thye would need bottle feeding every 4 hours etc, they were cute, i'd know it would be a lot of work and time!  would getting a kitten this age help lucky as feel she needsa companion or would a cat around her age be better or should I just leave it the now!!! Help I know sox cant be replaced but if i helped another he wouldnt have died in vain.

Link to CatChat