Author Topic: Poor Blip has to have three teeth out  (Read 7355 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: Poor Blip has to have three teeth out
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 18:04:40 PM »
Glad that Blip is ok , and you too Mark xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 12:35:19 PM »
:thanks: again everyone.

Blip was rather hyper yesterday evening (that's the Vetergesic apparently) but slept soundly last night.  She ate all her breakfast this morning, although I noticed she was using only one part of her mouth to chew (understandably).  She did produce a wee of human (rather than normal feline) proportions but she was on fluids all afternoon yesterday.

The vet nurse came by on her way to work (at 06.50  :Crazy:) to give Blip an antibiotic (I asked her about the wee; she said it was normal in the circumstances) and Blip was a bit subdued after that, but she picked up after half an hour or so.  I left her quietly dozing on the sofa.  The vet had told me to administer Metacam as usual yesterday evening so I did, so that will be helping with the inflammation.

Pain relief is such a er "godsend".. you know what I mean.

Such a send anyway  :evillaugh:

Such a sciencesend, you might well say  ;)

:evillaugh:

A Goodsend anyway  - thank goodness for hydrocarbons  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »
 :thanks: again everyone.

Blip was rather hyper yesterday evening (that's the Vetergesic apparently) but slept soundly last night.  She ate all her breakfast this morning, although I noticed she was using only one part of her mouth to chew (understandably).  She did produce a wee of human (rather than normal feline) proportions but she was on fluids all afternoon yesterday.

The vet nurse came by on her way to work (at 06.50  :Crazy:) to give Blip an antibiotic (I asked her about the wee; she said it was normal in the circumstances) and Blip was a bit subdued after that, but she picked up after half an hour or so.  I left her quietly dozing on the sofa.  The vet had told me to administer Metacam as usual yesterday evening so I did, so that will be helping with the inflammation.

Such a sciencesend, you might well say  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: Poor Blip has to have another tooth out
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »

One of my friends is an ex-nurse (now senior NHS management) She said she gets annoyed if people are complaining about a pain and they haven't taken any kind of pain relief - she says with rare exceptions, there is no need to be a martyr to pain these days. Maybe many years in nursing gave her the attitude  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 10:05:11 AM »
Am also waiting for update on her Blipness and hope she continues to recover well Christine  :hug:.  Pain relief is such a er "godsend".. you know what I mean.

It was funny seeing OHs face when I described the procedure  :evillaugh:

Thanks for not sharing the detail on implants Mark  :sick: Poor Dennis  ;)  Blasted teeth are so expensive.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 09:48:08 AM »

It does matter  :hug: and that's great  :hug:

Thanks C  :hug:

I hope Blip is feeling better this morning  :)

One problem I do have though is 2 back teeth missing. I had a bridge but the back tooth went so they had to but 1/2 the bridge off. My only option now is to have 2 implants. Apart from being expensive, I wonder how practical it is. I can handle the gap but if I think about it, it does feel odd. OH said I should just go ahead and do it - we have an implant dentist in town. It was funny seeing OHs face when I described the procedure  :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 09:36:26 AM »
I'm glad Blip is home and well now.  Jaffa sends his love  :Luv:   It's really hard to check their teeth.  I always think I should do more for Jaffa but he doesn't like having his mouth examined so opening it and looking at his teeth is a bit of a no no.  They only really get checked when he goes to the vet.

I really feel for the dog's owners - how terrible to lose 2 pets in such a short space of time.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 09:16:02 AM »
How's Blip doing today Christine?  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 00:22:12 AM »
Great news about her Blipness!  :wow: :hug:

RIP little doggie.  :'(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 19:44:12 PM »
Am relieved to hear Blip is now home and eating. Let the fairies play a bit, I say.

A huge hug from us  :hug:

(and one for you too Mark x)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 19:34:10 PM »
Noshing for England then ......so pleased  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 19:24:07 PM »
 :thanks: everyone  :thanks:

Blip is home and happy.  She has eaten a tin of trout and a sachet of Sheba Essentials (tuna flavour). When we collected her the vet nurse commented on what a beautifully well-behaved patient she always is, and has been today.  It seems from the paperwork that she's 'only' had three teeth out, but one is indeed a canine.  She's had a couple of injections of Vetergesic, so she's away with the fairies a bit, but as a keen enthusiast of pain relief, I'm cool with that.

I've arranged for the vet nurse to come round tomorrow and Thursday to administer the antibiotics, but yes, Millys Mum, they are Antirobe so I can sprinkle thereafter.

Blip had a couple of monitors up her backside during the procedure, so the lubricant has dislodged her impacted faeces throughout the day (and judging by the faint odour, there may be some more) but we do have to radically increase the Lactulose dosage from tomorrow.

The vet saw a small lesion on one of her tonsils  :scared:, but opines that it's to be monitored rather than worried about.

Sadly the little doggy I saw this morning has had to be PTS.  But the senior nurse (who is one of the most compassionate people I've ever met) told me that he was 17 and had had a wonderful, well-loved life.  The tragedy is that his brother - also 17 - was PTS last week, so the poor woman I saw has lost both her companions in the space of a few days.  My thoughts are with her.

I'm sure she will be fine  :hug:
Not that it matters but I just needed a scrape & polish.

It does matter  :hug: and that's great  :hug:

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 18:51:06 PM »
Glad to hear everything went well (5 teeth out!)  :wow: and bless her, Im sure once fully recovered she will feel like a new gal!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 18:50:36 PM »
Hope blips settling in back home now  :hug:
If you have antirobe for her they sprinkle into food very easily (more so than cosequin  ;) ) so no need to worry about pilling her with a sore mouth  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 18:41:42 PM »
Our vet said as much to me re Freddie.  He said he only left 2 so he could defend himself but they prob wouldn't last long term.  That was Oct 2006 so fingers still crossed.

Hope Blips home by now and doing OK.  Have to say Freddie wasn't a happy bunny that evening but much brighter the following morning  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 18:25:42 PM »
I'm sure she will be fine  :hug: - when Clapton had the last of his teeth out, he was eating the same day - and I'm pretty sure it was biscuits as well. He used to love them mixed in wet food but I don't give them to him any more.  :Crazy:

I agree re the domino effect - Clapton had 3 dentals in as many years - each time with more teeth coming out.

Not that it matters but I just needed a scrape & polish.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 18:26:11 PM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 18:12:22 PM »
Glad to hear that everything went well, Pep had numerous teeth out and was fine Christine so hopefully Blip will be too  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 17:43:35 PM »
I trust Blip is home now and enjoying the pampering.  Sending  :hug:  :hug: to you both. As others have said, they do seem to recover surprisingly quickly from dentals and manage to eat without problem no matter have few teeth they have remaining.  Paradoxicaly they often find it easier to eat dry than wet when dentally challenged because they just hoover it up and swallow without chewing whereas wet food can stick in the gaps.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 17:30:35 PM »
Its very hard but cats seem so resiliant and am sure she will be back to normal very quickly  :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 17:24:39 PM »
Aw bless her, she'll be fine though, and if she's anything like my boy Max was, she'll be demanding biscuits tomorrow  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 16:49:05 PM »
Glad everything went well - not long til she's home now  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 16:38:07 PM »
Poor Blip!  :( :hug: :hug:

Just for background info, Christine, I firmly believe once their teeth start to go it's a domino effect. My Tilly had 3 teeth removed and a good old clean and polish and literally 4 months later she needed  the 14 more out.  :doh: She has just one canine left now that she uses to great effect... she hooks her beloved biscuits out of her bowl with it! :evillaugh:

Do be prepared for lots of dribble and drool as Blip gets used to the new feel of her mouth. I'm sure she'll adjust in no time though.  :)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 16:17:27 PM »
I think it's very difficult for a vet to have a really good look while a cat is awake

The vet said exactly that to me.

I was still worried about hurting him so brought him to and from the vets for VNs to give him pills on day 2.  It's only up the road.

Yes, I'm planning to ask one of the nurses to come round tomorrow and possibly the next day as well (ours is only round the corner, too).

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 16:13:36 PM »
I think it's very difficult for a vet to have a really good look while a cat is awake Christine and recall being extremely shocked that Freddie had to have ALL of his teeth out except for 2 canines  when he 1st came to us.  He was right as rain the next day but I was still worried about hurting him so brought him to and from the vets for VNs to give him pills on day 2.  It's only up the road.

I'm sure you'll be impressed with the speed of Blip's recovery and the ease with which she eats.  I think I'd also pick up a can of AD unless you know she doesn't like it.   :hug: :hug: :hug: for Blip and  :hug: for you too.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 16:06:09 PM »
 :thanks: everyone.

The vet just called.  Blip's had five teeth out :scared:, including another canine.  She's had a strong painkilling injection (not Metacam: an opiate, I think) and will obviously have to have antibiotics.  She has a couple of stitches.  She's on a drip at the moment and we can collect her at 17.15.

What's more she was badly constipated, so I have to increase her Lactulose to 3ml twice a day.  

Despite all this, the vet said she was sitting up within an hour of the procedure but the poor mite must have been in terrible discomfort and there have to be several days more to come.  :scared:

I do have some posh wild boar pate in the fridge, Julie, perhaps she'd like some of that.  The teeth have been removed from both sides, so eating is going to be a bit of a challenge for her (but I know cats are remarkably resilient in this department).

You wonder what more you can do to prevent their discomfort, don't you?  Blip goes to the vet twice a year now for check-ups and still this can happen.  :(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 15:58:56 PM »
Sending lots of good wishes for Blip :hug: x (And Mark)

Poor little dogy and the woman :( I do think animals sense other animals and humans pain and fear, i remember when Boy was diagnosed with cancer he was very poorly for first few weeks and for some reason he wanted to spend time on my bed next to Phoebe :scared: Well Phoebe didnt like Boy and wouldnt even sit in the same room as him but night after night i found her lying on the same bed as him but she always had  her back to him :Luv: When we started the treatment and Boy was feeling better she went back to normal herself being mean :naughty:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 13:40:44 PM »
For Blip...  :hug: :hug: :Luv2:

My Tilly had 15 teeth out at once.  :doh: She adapted very well in the end but the drooling is difficult at times. Especially when we're trying to get to sleep and she wants a fuss.  :evillaugh:

I found a bit of liver pate went down well during the first few days.  :sneaky:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 13:14:18 PM »
Hope that everything goes well for Blip's dental  :hug:

:( Poor little dog, hope he is ok too
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
Hope everything goes well for both Blip and Mark at the dentist  :hug:

I agree about animals sensing things, on the morning that Dylan took ill Hobbes spent all morning lying beside him on Dylan's bed beside the radiator and although they did often sleep together they never did on that bed. Also when I came back from the vets on the Thursday but Dylan was still alive and also on the Friday Hobbes slept in his normal places but when I came back after Dylan went to the Bridge Hobbes came and lay beside me on the sofa and has done that ever since. He seemed to know that this time was different. He also keeps standing on the end of my bed at night and looking at the landing - they always used to have a run around and play last thing at night when I went to bed. It quite freaks me out. (sorry hijacked the thread here  ;D)

Good luck Blip and Mark - dentists - yuk  :Crazy:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »
Good luck Blip (and good luck Mark)  :wow:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 11:23:48 AM »
Fingers crossed for Blip and Mark's trips to sort out teeth ..... esp Blip  :Luv: ....sorry Mark  ;)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »
I do think animals sense things - Kylie didn't bother Willow at all in her last couple of weeks.

Poor little doggy - animals know things we don't I am sure of it.

I agree: I am sure Blip detected - probably by smell - the little dog's pain and fear  :(  I detected it by sight, after all  :'(

:thanks: Liz and Kirst for the good luck wishes.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »
Lots of good luck to Blip (and to you Mark!)

Poor little doggy - animals know things we don't I am sure of it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »

The strange thing was that Blip had been very agitated herself, mewling and miaowing but when the doggy came in, she turned and looked at him for a while and then fell silent.  What do you make of that?

Poor Doggy  :(

We don't Make anything of things like that do we Christine?  :shify:

Nor do we make anything of the fact that OH and I were in the dining room on the ground floor on Sunday and both looked up as we heard pattering along the hall - Clapton and Kylie were both asleep in the room with us and Alice was asleep in the basement  :shify:

I do think animals sense things - Kylie didn't bother Willow at all in her last couple of weeks.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »
Pebbles sends Blip good luck vnbes - his trip is cancelled for his dental due to weather!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 09:02:08 AM »
 :thanks: both and good luck at the dentist, Mark.

It was very upsetting in the surgery: we arrived bang on 08.00 as the care team was opening up and while we were (briefly) waiting, a woman came in with a little old dog in a shopping push-a-long basket.  The doggy was in a very bad way, shivering and scared; the woman was crying and kept saying 'it's OK, it's OK'.  I fear it may have been their final trip :'(  I'll ask when I pick Blip up later.

The strange thing was that Blip had been very agitated herself, mewling and miaowing but when the doggy came in, she turned and looked at him for a while and then fell silent.  What do you make of that?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 08:42:01 AM »
Good luck today  :hug:

Clapton says one less tooth is one less toothache  :hug:

I have to see the nasty dentist today as well Blip  :ahh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »
Best of luck for Her Blipness  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 07:38:09 AM »
Today's the day and we're just about to set off - wish us luck everyone.

I'm moving this to health & behaviour.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 10:20:57 AM »
Poor Blip  :hug:

Link to CatChat