Author Topic: '9 mouths to feed'  (Read 2657 times)

Offline marie08

• Kitten
Re: '9 mouths to feed'
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 23:06:13 PM »
I find it a bit strange that your vet would recommend dry food only seeing as dry foods are more likely to contain cereals/grains etc which can often aggravate probs such as diarrhea. Thats not to say that a lot of wet foods don't contain those sort of carbs too, but there are many more that don't - for instance, the one Helen mentioned, Bozita (comes in cartons around 370g size so quite cost effective for feeding several cats. A raw diet can often help with diarrhea, there are a few good informative sites if you wanted to look into it more http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php , http://catinfo.org/

As Trigger mentioned, Applaws and Orijen dry are low in any form of carbohydrate so might be worth a try. I'm sure you already know this, but don't forget to make any changes to the diet gradually, I would imagine thats even more important in Silver's case.  :)
ive had a look at the sites and very interesting thankyou  :)

Offline marie08

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 19:03:15 PM »
 :) thankyou everyone for your replies, i will take everything in you've all said and will let you all know how silver has got on, many  :thanks: x

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 18:51:08 PM »
My old vet did that too me when Tiggy & Pippin were kittens they had awfull Tums funnily enough they told me they would be better on hills! Guess what they sold in there practice? Hills!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 15:42:58 PM »
A lot of European vets advocate Dry foods Gillian - our vets in Germany (who were fantastic) always recommended dry food.

Well I know most vets anywhere advocate dry foods, mainly cos its what they sell in their practices! doesnt mean its the best thing for a cat with diarrhea, or any cat come to that.  ;)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 12:52:52 PM »
A few of my cats have been sorted when they have had diarrhoea with Purina One which is dry, it was all our Timmy could have and he was fine on that, it has a high rice content I know some peeps would disagree about a mainly dry food diet but we were told to feed him that when we adopted him from the CP and sure enough most other things went through him.  I know it won't work for all cats but I  have heard of some other peeps whose cats have done well on that too when they have loose tums.   eta: I should add that the cats I have now eat predominantly wet diet so I'm not suggesting a dry diet just that was what worked for Timmy.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:56:11 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:36:38 PM »
A lot of European vets advocate Dry foods Gillian - our vets in Germany (who were fantastic) always recommended dry food.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I find it a bit strange that your vet would recommend dry food only seeing as dry foods are more likely to contain cereals/grains etc which can often aggravate probs such as diarrhea. Thats not to say that a lot of wet foods don't contain those sort of carbs too, but there are many more that don't - for instance, the one Helen mentioned, Bozita (comes in cartons around 370g size so quite cost effective for feeding several cats. A raw diet can often help with diarrhea, there are a few good informative sites if you wanted to look into it more http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php , http://catinfo.org/

As Trigger mentioned, Applaws and Orijen dry are low in any form of carbohydrate so might be worth a try. I'm sure you already know this, but don't forget to make any changes to the diet gradually, I would imagine thats even more important in Silver's case.  :)

Offline marie08

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 22:46:40 PM »
I think with sensitive tums grain free is often recommended - I'm not an expert and only know of the one I feed (Bozita) which is a wet food so not what you're looking for but I'm sure grain free dry exists aswell so hopefully one of the nutrition 'experts' will be along shortly.

Incidentally Zooplus is a great place to get food from, they're based in Germany but deliver all over Europe.  Spain is free delivery when you spend  over £49 or £4.90 otherwise.  I'm in the UK and buy my wet cat food in bulk from them, there's a link at the bottom of the page and Purrs rescue fund gets 5% donated from every order but that's not why I'm recommending them!

Edit: forgot to say  :welcome: to Purrs!
hi and thankyou, i've heard of them through the forums but i didnt know if they would deliver to spain so thats good news and if the rescue fund benefits from it thats even better, thankyou  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 22:35:39 PM »
I think with sensitive tums grain free is often recommended - I'm not an expert and only know of the one I feed (Bozita) which is a wet food so not what you're looking for but I'm sure grain free dry exists aswell so hopefully one of the nutrition 'experts' will be along shortly.

Incidentally Zooplus is a great place to get food from, they're based in Germany but deliver all over Europe.  Spain is free delivery when you spend  over £49 or £4.90 otherwise.  I'm in the UK and buy my wet cat food in bulk from them, there's a link at the bottom of the page and Purrs rescue fund gets 5% donated from every order but that's not why I'm recommending them!

Edit: forgot to say  :welcome: to Purrs!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 22:36:06 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline marie08

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 22:27:55 PM »
Applaws and Orijen dry have the highest meat/fish content 

if you are going to feed all 9 on one or the other, you should be able to save quite a bit by buying the largest size they supply
hi, i forgot to mention i live in spain so dont know if they would deliver but i'll have a look anyway, many thanks

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 21:58:13 PM »
Applaws and Orijen dry have the highest meat/fish content 

if you are going to feed all 9 on one or the other, you should be able to save quite a bit by buying the largest size they supply
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline marie08

• Kitten
'9 mouths to feed'
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 21:53:37 PM »
hi all, i wonder if anyone could give me some advice on what to feed my cats, i have one ('silver') who contacted haemophillus, a secondary infection which strikes now and again and affects the upper respitory and the intestines, the vet says he may have diarrhea throughout his life and advises that he should just have dried food only, i have been reading up about dry foods and they dont have a high meat content and are not very nutricious. i would like to feed all nine of my babies on the same food and wondered if anyone could advice me on what food to give that wouldnt make 'silver's' diarrhea worse. i found some from the pet shop with a very high meat content but it was so expensive  :thanks:

Link to CatChat