Author Topic: constipated cat  (Read 5398 times)

Offline Hunny

• Adult Cat
Re: constipated cat
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 20:57:12 PM »
Quick update - hunny was given a mini enema today which helped her pass 3 or 4 small stools. She's eating more now and even asking for food which is great! I'm still worried incase she doesn't go again though. Will monitor her and fingers crossed she'll be back to normal soon. Thanks everyone for your help x x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 22:49:27 PM »
Thanks David - I will see if it is marketed under another name here which is quite common. Yes the P&G thing is over testing. It started with Iams then I banned all their cleaning products and don't even buy pringles now.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 21:07:18 PM »
Point taken. The Miralax isotc here and nothing special. mark, just make sure you can have it sent to you if you have interest. it is not expensive at all.

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 20:57:13 PM »
I wouldn't say that on a public forum if I were you. Importing/exporting drugs on any scale without a licence can get you in a heap big pile of  :censored:  :scared:

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 20:47:26 PM »
Mark,
Here is the url to their site: http://www.miralax.com

Leo only started to use it 2 weeks ago. He has been on Cisapride and lactalose for years and we have tried other things over that time. So far this has been the best to date. If it happens to be something you want to try and you cannot get it there, I'll send you some of you paypal me the money for it. I do that with another friend in the UK.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 21:06:27 PM by CoolCyberCats »

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 20:41:23 PM »
Mark, I assume your issue with P&G is animal testing? I know that is a point I take badly. I own stock in P&G now and others regularly make a vote to stop it and I vote for that. Hoping one day enough owners will agree. :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 20:27:07 PM »
I haven't seen it in the UK but will have to look into it for myself - I am on a regime of Solgar Psyllium, Solgar Billions probiotics, Udo's choice oil and Aloe juice for IBS - after trying various prescribed meds, including antidespressants (Citalopram), this is working best for me. I am trying to find a source of a breakthrough probiotic called Bifidum Infantis but it seems almost impossible to buy here except as part of a children's probiotic called ABC Dophilus, made by Solgar. The other snag is it seems P&G are the only makers of this probiotic and I don't buy any of their products (knowingly).

Sorry to bring my own issues into this but I think trying to regulate the gut rather than using laxatives is the way to go - and probiotics can be helpful, along with Psllium which is now added to some cat foods. I prefer Solgar as it is 100% pure and non-irradiated.

I know you have to be very careful with laxatives if a cat (or human  :shify: ) has megacolon.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 20:14:57 PM »
I am not sure if this information will be of use, but here is a link to a guide on constipation and megacolon (small and not full details for every case): http://reviews.ebay.com/Feline-Constipation-amp-Megacolon-Your-options_W0QQugidZ10000000008219794

Also, on the advice of a vet in NJ (Leo came with us to my mothers in mid November and had an eye appointmet there), they suggested a product sold here in the US for people called miralax. 1/4 tspn once a day. After 2 years of poor leo having to get enemas every week, he has pooped 3 times in the last week now! Not the best, and we know it is more being pushed out, but hey, he did not need the enema on last monday and moay not tomorrow!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 19:53:02 PM »
If the vet suggests Lactulose, get it from the chemist, it is cheaper. Fingers crossed she goes overnight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hunny

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 17:38:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. We called vetfone last night who recommended giving hunny tuna in sunflower oil. She eat a bit of this although not from the bowl but from my finger. The metacam was given as we'd mentioned that she was crawling up stairs rather than running so he thought it would help with that. We've been given metacam before for help with her cystitis but to be honest I don't like giving her it and find valerian & scullcap pills help faster.
We ran out to PAH today but they never had any laxitives however, we came home with some cooked chicken which we soaked in water and she gulped it down. She seemed a lot like her normal self and she's having a nap just now. If she still hasn't been to her tray tonight, it's a visit to the vet tomorrow which I'm really dreading not only for what might happen but because it REALLY stresses her out. Not to mention me who's 8.5 months pregnant! Will keep u updated x x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 11:35:30 AM »
I find the use of MEtacam bizarre, unless he thinks it is an effect of the cystitis. Molly has constipation issues, so she has Lactulose on a regular basis.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 23:51:59 PM »
Metacam can cause constipation. Just curious what he recommended it for.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 22:38:59 PM »
I've known cats to hold on for 48 hours or so following an upsetting experience - visit to the vet, that kind of thing. Also certain meds like antibiotics can slow bowels down. Kittens are always scaring the life out of me for that kind of thing.  :evillaugh: No soon as I decide to make a proactive decision and book a vet appointment, I turn around and they've filled up the tray.  :tired:

I have only known one case of feline constipation that needed treatment and that involved an extremely sick kitten. She was almost dead when we picked her up and her bowel had stopped growing because of the enormous amount of worms. She needed several enemas but eventually her bowel started to catch up in development and work normally.  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 22:40:16 PM by Pinkbear (Julie) »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 22:09:09 PM »
It sounds like it's the change in diet that's caused these problems, did you alter the food gradually?  hopefully things will settle down - just see how she goes and if she seems not good I'd get in touch with the vet.    :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 21:51:19 PM »
Does she have Metacam for something else? It is a painkiller with potential;y harmful side effects - It is harsh on the kidneys so I wouldn't give it unless absolutely necessary.

There are a few things you can give for constipation. Lactulose is quite gentle but you have to be careful there isn't a blockage when giving laxatives.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 21:46:58 PM »
I have never experienced this with my cats, but a quick google of the net suggests Hunny would be straining to go if she was really constipated

it may be the new food, and fact she has eaten less anyway may have left her less to poop

if she does start straining then some action will be required
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Hunny

• Adult Cat
constipated cat
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 19:37:25 PM »
Hunny hasn't used her tray for 2days now. She had her booster jag on Monday and the vet gave us purina 1 obesity management food to try to get her to lose a bit of weight. We gave some to her on Wednesday which she eat most of. On Thursday night she got cystitis which isn't unusual for her. Yesterday she eat half her breakfast (whiskas pouch) and some lunch later but since then she's only been licking at her food slightly. She's peed 3 times today since 6.30am but not pooped since yesterday morning where hubby said her stools were hard. I called the vet this morning but he seemed too busy to talk and said to try metacam for today.
I'm not sure how much longer to leave her without it getting worse? Other than that she's been sleeping a lot but purring when we're near. She's 9yrs old. Off to PAH first thing to see if they have anything to help but any suggestions would be welcome as I'm sooo worried. Thanks x

Link to CatChat