Author Topic: Why  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
Re: Why
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 17:50:36 PM »
Unfortunately some doctors and midwives still advise women when they get pregnant that they have to get rid of their cats because of health reasons instead of advising them what precautions to take when changing litter trays etc. We've had people ring us saying that and when you explain things to them they are thrilled as it means they can keep their pets. Although there are always some people who just can't be bothered with the cat once they have a baby some have just been frightened off by the "experts"

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 13:04:04 PM »
When my middle sister (now 19) was born she was born at only 27 weeks gestation and was in hospital for the first year of her life. My parents didn't have any pets then (only me  :shy:) but if they did I can see they would pretty much have had to rehome them - something like that just uses up all your resources and then some, my dad lost his job during that time too, I'd not feel able to give an animal enough care and love, let alone the finances - even I had to be shipped off to be looked after by my grandparents!

Obviously not everyone's in a crisis situation like that but they wouldn't always think or feel able to tell you about it so I'm always careful to keep my judgements to myself... even when I'm pretty sure that they're just full of cr*p and were never fit to own a cat in the first place.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 20:51:37 PM »
I think a lot of people get a kitten to take the place of the baby and when baby comes along kitty goes out of the window..

If i got pregnant i would manage admittedly i would have to make some changes but that would not involve getting rid of my cats...

Babies are expensive and too me my cats are my babies..I think when you have cats you need to think about the unexpected as well and tell yourself can i afford these cats as well as something unexpected !

Sadly some peple dont think that far ahead :(
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 20:29:50 PM »
could be they haven't got the patience to house train it . Clearing up cat poo every day can be pretty awful  :sick

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 21:22:47 PM »
lots of reasons

money
time
commitment

no i dont agree with it but it happens, atleast if they try to rehome its not so bad...some ask for pts !!

MBll

Why
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 20:14:36 PM »
Do folk give up their pets when they are pregnant?? ? Just seen a 5 month old kitten on freecycle :-:

Link to CatChat