Author Topic: FIV  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: FIV
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 23:41:33 PM »
I know as indeed does most people  that no injections are 100% effective, however, all I can say is over the last few years since more and more people are having their cats injected for FeLV, we in our branch of Cats Protection have noticed a huge reduction in the number of cats we are hearing about FeLV+ and  I cannot remember when we last had a cat test FeLV poss certainly not in the last few years.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 15:55:30 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 20:40:39 PM »
Ela, your first reply is exactly why I am so glad it isn't available over here, although my two are microchipped, so theoretically should come straight back without a blood test, I wouldn't risk it.
Lynn - if the FeLV vaccine gave more than an 85% immunity, I would have it done, but as the cats natural immunity to it is 85%, I dont see the point in it - and I dont know the backgrounds of either of my two, for all I know, they could have come into contact with it, and fought it off, meaning they dont need it - I might look into getting titre tests done in the future, so I Can make a better decision as to whether they need it, and also if they need the flu and enteritis jab.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 20:24:01 PM »
the felv numbers are far lower than they use to be,

How right you are, it is only very occasionally now that I hear of a cat test FeLV poss, if only it were the same for FIV.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 16:00:39 PM »
thanks for that info desley.  i personally believe in the felv vaccs to be honest as i know the felv numbers are far lower than they use to be, but you are right if the vaccine cant be differenciated between vacc and actual virus it would be likely to cause more probs than good at the moment.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 15:29:23 PM »
any cat vaccinated with it shows up as positive on teh blood tests,

The implications of that would be horrendous as there would be mass PTS with all the ignorant folks about.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 15:26:31 PM »
if you allow FIV cats to be homed as so many owners give in and allow them out to spead the virus about !!

He obviously has no faith in  the vetting procedures of Charities who do re-home FIV cats. Also nowadays so many people actually ask for indoor cats, and either live in a location not suitable for cats to go out or they know all the implications of letting cat out anyway and are not prepared to take any risks.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 13:15:28 PM »
they vet has just rung her to say it needs putting to sleep.

It is such a shame that so many vet think like this.

One of the vets i use has this opinion about FIV cats. He feels that you will never get rid of the problem if you allow FIV cats to be homed as so many owners give in and allow them out to spead the virus about !!

NOW BEFORE YOU JUMP DOWN MY THROAT
that is HIS opinion NOT MINE

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 09:24:46 AM »
As Ela says, there is a vaccine for FIV Lynn, the problem with it at the moment, and the reason I wouldn't use it if it became available, is that any cat vaccinated with it shows up as positive on teh blood tests, so until they can devise a test that can distinguish between teh vaccine and the virus, I wont use it - and I dont know a lot of people on the American forum who do. I dont know if it is more effective than the FeLV vaccine, as that is only 85% effective
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 08:47:23 AM »
thats the first i have ever heard that, do you know why it hasnt come over here or world wide ?

It has been available in the USA for a long time. I expect in our country they really want to make sure it is ultra safe, Perhaps by monitoring what is happening in the USA as well. that is the only reason I can think of.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 20:05:05 PM »
really ela ??

thats the first i have ever heard that, do you know why it hasnt come over here or world wide ?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 19:42:22 PM »
wander why they havent been able to make a vaccine for fiv when its so similar to felv

There is a vaccine for FIV in the USA

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 19:05:21 PM »
i wander why they havent been able to make a vaccine for fiv when its so similar to felv. well i guess the actual virus isnt but the symtoms are the same..Heres hoping they will in the near future.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 19:00:21 PM »
was it a kitten that you had rehomed ela ?

No it was not even from our area.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 18:56:43 PM »
atleast it will find a indoor home now.

was it a kitten that you had rehomed ela ?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 13:15:43 PM »
Aww, the cat is so lucky that she rang you rather than went with the vets advice, good luck for the little thing.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
FIV
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 13:11:47 PM »
A lady has just rang me up heartbroken, she took in a stray yesterday what had bite wounds, she took it to her vets today for treatment and neutering, they vet has just rung her to say it needs putting to sleep. Of course it won't be now as I have given her the number a cat hospice to ring who also try to find indoor homes for FIV cats and if they cannot help we will take it in. What also  makes me angry is that this little soul was once the kitten that went to someones so called good home.

Link to CatChat