Author Topic: Kitten peed on bathroom mat. Help  (Read 3300 times)

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
Re: Kitten peed on bathroom mat. Help
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 08:26:32 AM »
As the trays are near the mat its an easy mistake for them, the other thing to consider is as kittens get heavier they can take a dislike to certain large grain litters
Hiya, I think you are spot on. I looked last night just how close the mat was to the litter tray and no wonder he decided to try out our new mat rather than going to his litter tray that wasn't cleaned out yet.

I have now washed the mat and in the future will only lay it on the floor when it's being used then put it over the shower cubicle to dry out and keep safe.

Thanks to you all for good advice.  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 19:42:55 PM »
I just think a nice soft mat on the floor is a perfect toilet in a kitten's (or cat's) mind - Willow always peed on ours so I started hanging it over the shower - it also dries quicker that way  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 19:39:35 PM »
As the trays are near the mat its an easy mistake for them, the other thing to consider is as kittens get heavier they can take a dislike to certain large grain litters

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 16:06:11 PM »
I think it is too but the box should say......amazing how one forgets cos have moved to a non-bio one now  :shify:
I'll check the box tonight. HOpefully it's bio so I can wash the mat tonight.  :thanks:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 15:46:02 PM »
Best thing is to wash the mat and put it away for a few months.

Kittens and rugs do not mix. Kittens will pee on rugs, bean bags, even on beds - rumour says it because they feel like litter (as is said before).

You have to discourage the behaviour and if this means doing without a rug for a while then thats the easiest to do.

If fact, you've just reminded me my bathroom mat is not in the bathroom and I can't actually remember where it is now! :rofl:
yes we were having a similar problem, can't even remember who it was! :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 15:30:39 PM »
I think it is too but the box should say......amazing how one forgets cos have moved to a non-bio one now  :shify:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 14:21:47 PM »
No worries.

Now, I think Bold is probably biological?  So it should be suitable for discouraging the peeing problem.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 14:08:30 PM »
I've started you a new topic 'Food suggestions for kitten'.  You can change its title if you want or I can change it for you.
Ok, :thanks:. I did think I should have started a new thread...

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 13:58:58 PM »
I've started you a new topic 'Food suggestions for kitten'.  You can change its title if you want or I can change it for you.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 13:37:28 PM »
awwwwwwww you wouldnt get into trouble  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 13:24:34 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Golden Eagle: glad you found us and decided to join in  :wow:

Ok, this is my first time on this forum so be nice.

You don't have to worry about people being unpleasant on here because they aren't  :shy:

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 13:14:01 PM »
Hi FireFox, yes I post usually on MSE. I actually mentioned I posted this query on a different forum coz I knew you are on both forums so didn't want to get into trouble  :scared:.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »
I know that username, Golden Eagle, you post on MSE I think?  :welcome: You will love it here on Purrs!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:08:07 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »
Yes one of my kittens at around 5 months had started to peed in the same spot on the new carpet  :innocent:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 12:00:55 PM »
you need bio product

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. Need to check if Bold liquid tabs are non bio else will have to buy something else today. Shutting the door would be awkward as we keep their litter trays in the bathroom. It may well be that he is coming of age. He is now 4 months old. It's just that it seems odd that he has never done anything like this before and then headed straight for the new mat. I reckon he is just being plain naughty.  ;)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 11:45:43 AM »
Simple Solution  ;) ;) Fabulous stuff.

I can't help with specifics sorry, but I double recommend the shutting the door to break the habit.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:43:08 AM »
maybe the mats when they are new have a smell that is attractive to cats or that they feek like litter underpaw.

once having washed as described then put on some of pets ar homes urine removal stuff, cant rember whats its called

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 11:41:14 AM »
Hi and  :welcome:

Right how old is this kitten? If he's around 5-6 months he could be coming into adulthood. One of my kittens started weeing in strange places when he was coming of age, I have 6 cats and none of the others done it- so I think it's something specific to the cat  :)

If he's not about that age- forget what I said, lol It could be him marking his territory
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »
you need to wash with biological washing powder or liquid the non bio will not remove the smell and they will keep going back to the same place - could you not shut the door to break the habit??

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
Kitten peed on bathroom mat. Help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »
 :Crazy: Ok, this is my first time on this forum so be nice. I have tried a different cat forum to get some help but no luck so trying this one as well.  :shy:
I need some advice. Our previous cat used our bathroom mats as his toilet on a few occasions so in the end we gave up on buying new ones as it was getting pretty costly.

We got two kittens 2 months ago and to my knowledge they have been using only their litter trays from day one. Never caught them going anywhere else. So this Saturday after many months of being "bathroom mat free" we decided to be brave and buy a new posh bathroom mat only to catch one of the kittens peeing on it the following day!!!   :innocent: Even when I wash the mat I will now be paranoid to put it back down on the floor fearing that they will just start using it as yet another litter tray as they will no doubt be able to smell the pee on it. Is there anything we can do other than give up on mats altogether? Any spray we could use?

I have read a few threads on this forum so I realise peeing can be a problem but I can't see what's so attractive about bathroom mats... There has been no change in their little young lives so can't be stress related. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Link to CatChat