Author Topic: Vibes needed please - all 3 poorly - RIP Sam :(  (Read 50560 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Vibes needed please - all 3 poorly
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2010, 09:37:47 AM »
Glad to hear that Sam is eating well at least and good luck for Molly's tests today  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »
Might try them with some, although they got very loose on Tesco's supermeat, and they dont eat enough to get through a tin. I might try Dairylea rather than PRimula, but dont think it would work any better on Zi, she seems to twig half way through the cheese that it isn't right - and Antirobe has a lot of powder in it.

Sam has just finished a one week course of Antirobe, his gums dont look too much better though, so might not do one week on, one week off. He is eating well though.

Zia is still being picky with renal food, I am getting some renal dry into her, but only by mixing it with adult dry, but at her age, quality is the utmost thing.

Molly is having her tests today, we are setting off in about 30 mins, and I am staying in the car park till she is ready. She is feeling a bit boney at the moment, and her poos have gone loose again, although we did have one good day with them this week.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2010, 09:31:44 AM »
How are your 3 doing now Desley?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2010, 15:16:51 PM »
Desley just a thought re tableting Zia.  I used to use Primula but found that a decent blob of Dairylea worked better with Billy who is our main problem when it comes to mediaction.  All the others love it too.  Worming (milbemax) is a doddle in our house now.  Also dairylea lasts longer as all individually wrapped whereas primula tubes don't last that long.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2010, 08:29:59 AM »
I think Whiskas is the only one that doesn't have soya added to it so it is more like Classic. PAH used to sell a basic fishy supermeat that mine (especially Alice) loved, but they stopped selling it. It was just like Kit-e-Kat used to be before they bought out Jelly & Gravy type foods. It used to be just a slop that cats seemed to love.  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2010, 08:21:59 AM »
i would hope the phosphorus is low, no point having it as renal food otherwise!!

Am sure mine used to love the senior supermeat, but the last lot I got was given to the fosters, as they wouldnt touch it - and Zi barely eats half a pouch a day, so even if she did like it, I would have a lot of wastage. She did really like the Tesco supermeat, and ate more of that than she had done previously, but was then diagnosed, so until this week has been on purely renal food (apart from the bits of Molly's she has pinched). I suppose I should be grateful I have got 5 weeks worth of renal food into her!! They do like the Felix supermeat pouches (Molly is better on Felix than Whiskas).
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2010, 08:08:36 AM »
so not sure what benefits there are to binding renal food?

I doubt if there are any. They say you can add binders to renal food but surely the phosphorus should be low enough anyway? - I'm also sure that even cats with renal disease must need some phosphorus?

Have you tried Whiskas supermeat - that is just meat & byproducts - there is no soya etc added to it. The senior version just has oils added.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2010, 07:53:36 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the tip Mark - she is back to eating renal dry now, so not sure what benefits there are to binding renal food? My other problem with using binders on adult wet is that she does pinch some of Molly's, and Molly doesn't need binders. I moved her dry food bowl last week, and wonder if that had put her off eating?

Gillian - he does like Applaws, but I am reluctant to go with that as the only wet food with it only being complimentary (and dont think she makes that very clear at all on her website). I was also shocked at how much that was in PAH on Sat - £7.35 a box on special offer, over £8 normally.

Unfortunately, Zia isn't as daft as Sam, and I only managed to get half of the Antirobe dosed Primula into her - Sam however will eat 3 full blobs, 2 dosed with Antirobe, 1 with Felimazole, and would probably come back for a fourth!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:05:44 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Vibes needed please
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2010, 23:44:59 PM »
As well as getting Sam some more different food,
Read Dr Addies site to see what else we can do for his mouth, he refuses Classic cat food,

Would he eat Applaws Des? - thats also recommended on Dr Addies site.

Sending positive vibes for them all  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2010, 17:43:53 PM »
might have to look at binders for her, but not sure she eats enough wet food to do any good - I assume they dont work on dry food?

You can put some in a plastic bag and shake it. The binders will stick to the food - Ipakitine will anyway.

Hope they all pick up  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2010, 16:56:14 PM »
Garnier is good for grey hair!  :innocent: :hug:

Sending positive healing vibes to all the poorly babes, its bad enough when one is ill never mind three!  :scared: :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2010, 15:54:06 PM »
Sending lots of positive vibes for Molley, Zia and Sam.

:hug: :hug: :hug: for you.x

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2010, 20:23:12 PM »
Hope things pick up :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2010, 20:15:32 PM »
Thanks everyone, not one of them has eaten all their tea, although Molly has polished off some chicken and the most wet food - although I had to feed her the chicken in her new den (my bed base, it has a slight hole in it, that she loves, so no new bed for me!!), and she ate part of her wet food half in and half out of it!! I thik Zi might benefit from some Antirobe, but haven't figured out how to get it into her yet, she is the hardest of the two to get Antirobe into. She is eating more adult than renal food though, so it isn't going to do her kidneys any good, might have to look at binders for her, but not sure she eats enough wet food to do any good - I assume they dont work on dry food? The Metacam should be helping her gums though, which is what is baffling me. I suspect like Sam, there are certain foods her mouth wont allow her to eat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2010, 18:55:07 PM »
 :hug: :hug: for the 4 of you  :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2010, 15:16:05 PM »
 :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  Its so difficult when they're ill and I think mouths have to be the worst of all areas to deal with.  Hope there's some improvement soon and sending lots of 'come on and eat up all your food' vibes.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2010, 15:11:12 PM »
Oh dear, it's bad enough when one is poorly, let alone three :hug: Hope there is some improvement soon.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2010, 14:39:31 PM »
Sending lots of good wishes and some of these  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2010, 14:22:31 PM »
Sending vibes, Desley and hugs for you.  :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2010, 14:13:00 PM »
Lots of vibes for them all to get better from us in Lincoln.
Sending lots of theses too  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2010, 14:04:50 PM »
Lots of vibes and  :hug: :hug Desley

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2010, 13:54:37 PM »
Sending tons of positive vibes your way Desley  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
What a worry Desley, hope your vet can sort something out for Sam's and Zia's gums and that the scan on Molly doesn't show anything untoward :hug: :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2010, 10:31:40 AM »
Oh, Desley  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »
Well, I am sure my three want me to go grey before I hit 30 - have had a bad week with all 3, and am at despair point.

As well as getting Sam some more different food, I also got some ab's for him this week, but he is now being picky at taking them in cat milk, so am struggling to get two Antirobe and 1 Felimazole into him - just praying he doesn't go off Primula anytime soon. He is due for his repeat bloods and weigh in the next week or so - it will have to be the week after next though I think. Read Dr Addies site to see what else we can do for his mouth, and I felt even worse after that, as the bulk of things she recommends just aren't practical - I can't get 6 weeks worth of Antirobe into him, I have only done 4 days and it is tricky, although I will try one week on, one week off with the 2 week dose I have and see if that is better, he can't have continual Metacam cos he has high liver values, he refuses Classic cat food, Interferon sounds like it would be too stressful (either injected into the gums, which requires anaesthetic - he is high risk atm, or sub-q - not sure how he would take that, but it would mean a lot of vet visits), can't do SEB with honey, as it has to be rubbed into the gums - I can barely look at his, never mind touch them. I am going to discuss with the vet about tests to see exactly what is causing this, as it has been an issue for over a year now.

Zia has lost weight again - she is back down to the 3.17 she was before Christmas, she is off her food - can't tell if it is just renal food she is fed up of, or that her gums are plaguing her more - they are still red, and I have just finished a bottle of Metacam, so she has had over a bottle, plus Convenia and Antirobe and still no better. Have given her adult wet last night and this morning, she has eaten a bit more, but then not touched her dry, so not enough to maintain her weight, never mind gain. She hasn't bothered with Molly's fish or chicken. She is still limping as well, and brought up some white foamy stuff after she had been to the loo this morning. Will monitor for the next few weeks, and hope she improves.

Molly is my biggest worry, she went to see a different vet on Wed, she has lost weight again this month, he feels her heart murmur is worse than the locum vet described it, and he doesn't feel her abdomen feels like a normal cat abdomen, so she is booked in for a scan on Fri. He is also debating scanning her heart, although he is no expert - he hasn't given any indications what it could be though, so I am obviously thinking the worst. I am taking the day off so she doesn't have to be there as long, and plan on camping out in the car park to wait for her!! I have bought her chicken and fish, as well as some Felix supermeat, she has been a bit picky with her food since and I have fed her in odd places to make sure she ate something!!

So continued vibes needed please.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »
Hope that Sam tucks into his dinner tonight bless him!  :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2010, 08:11:16 AM »
Sam is on 1 5mg a day rather than 2 2.5mg, as while he comes running for the pill bottle of an evening, he didn't agree with me in the morning - he goes out as soon as I go downstairs and often doesn't come back till I leave the house!! He is being picky with his food, but has tucked into certain things and is still eating his biscuits, so not his mouth, just only wanting certain things, so will have to go and get some more Sheba and Whiskas Oh So tonight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2010, 21:53:10 PM »
Can you get felimazole down twice aday as it does work better that way? So difficult with these oldies, i always wonder what im going to do when gooeys nose needs steroids but his joints need metacam  :-:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2010, 21:45:17 PM »
Sending more healing vibes out to your lovely babes Des, hope all goes well with them both!  :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2010, 15:59:45 PM »
Sorry, never responded to this!! Fur loss could be hyper-t related

Sam and Molly are both off their food a bit, so have bought them something new, Molly is booked in for a check up on Wed, and if Sam doesn't eat the new food, I will have to resort to Metacam, which I dont want to do with his high liver values. Am not convinced his hyper-t is that controlled, as he looked a bit sweaty last night - he is still on the higher dose though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2010, 18:17:13 PM »
So what could the fur shedding be related to? Is it part of any condition? Hope he picks up Des, the stress of Arthur has played its toll!  :( :hug: :hug:

Id keep Molly on Felix see how she does and how her weight goes!  ;) :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2010, 08:09:35 AM »
Thanks everyone - I did notice this weekend that Sam is losing a lot of fur, I got loads of by brushing him and still was covered when he sat on me, bless him. The litter tray looks lots better since I changed Molly onto Felix, so I suspect she can't tolerate certain foods anymore - and it looks like she is struggling with dry.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2010, 06:37:56 AM »
Hope that all goes well for Sam and that Molly improves so a scan isn't needed.  Bless Arthur  :Luv2:

RIP little kitty xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2010, 23:51:23 PM »
Aw, hope Same feels better when the meds kick in!  :Luv2: Hope you manage to sort Molly out, food intolerance it could be!  ;) :hug:

Shows Arthur is a loving bully still!  :innocent: Glad he is doing well though!  :Luv2:

RIP Ellies babe xxx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2010, 17:40:43 PM »
It's never easy with your lot, is it? :hug:

Very sad to hear about the little one that didn't make it.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »
Another mixed vet visit

Sam has lost a bit more weight - he is now 3.59, his heart murmur isn't overly worrying, but when she checked his mouth, it was red with ulcers - I wish he would stop eating for a day when they flare up, as he continues eating, so I have no real way of telling when they are bad, so he has had some Antirobe and Metacam for that this week, and he has eaten more. His bloods haven't come back too great though, his thyroid levels are at 83 - I thought they were 78 previously, but his records state 98, either way they are still high, so he is now on 5mg Felimazole a day, but his tum doesn't like it, so I might ask for some Vidalta for him tomorrow. His liver values are also high, 2 are quite high, and one is borderline, but they dont know if it is true liver disease or related to his hyper-t. They are talking about doing the op regardless of what his values are next month because of his liver and heart murmur.

Molly's bloods came back unremarkable, apart from a bit of high globulin and cholesterol. She had a dodgy tum last week, and the vet was suspicious of something, but bloods didn't confirm it, so she has to go back in a month and if no better, she wants a scan doing. I personally think it is a food intolerance with age, and she was on Whiskas last week - have put her on Felix now and she has slightly more solid poos.

I went to the rescue yesterday and ARthur was all over me - unfortunately when one of the other cats came for a fuss he did tell them to go away!! I also found out one of Ellie's babies died this week, he couldnt shake off the cat flu that they all had. RIP little one
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2010, 20:40:51 PM »
Thanks Carol - I actually suspect that her gingivitis has something to do with Arthur's stay, Sam has possible calici, but he rarely comes upstairs, so unlikely to have come from him, but Arthur did pretty much daily pinch some of her food. I might try and get some more Antirobe into her.

Sam and Molly have their bloods done on Tues, I am concerned for Sam's, as he is looking really thin at the moment (so got some cat milk for him today), and still drinking a lot - I am hoping that the 300g weight loss in a month hasn't affected his liver, or that it isn't his kidneys with his hyper-t being under control. No real concerns about Molly except a bit of a loose tum, but I suspect she just cant tolerate certain foods anymore with her age - she has LactoB in every meal now.
Please spay your cat

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2010, 20:35:53 PM »
Her mouth is quite stinky today, and her front tooth looks like she might have broke it. I can't believe she still has gingivitis, and not sure how that has started - does anyone know if it is connected to CRF?

I don't know about gingivitis but certainly mouth ulcers are common with CRF.  Korky had them and there was nothing the vet could do that didn't also aggravate his kidneys. It was one of the many factors contributing to our decision to let him go  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2010, 20:27:48 PM »
That is one of the samples the vet gave me, it comes in 150g trays though, and she has never been a big wet food fan (so getting to her age without kidney issues is quite good really), so too much for her. I am happy with her eating renal dry, it is about quality for her, not quantity, so I would rather her eat something she enjoys, and she gets some wet down every day just in case.

Unfortunately, I only got 3 Onsior down her before she twigged what I was doing, so had to put her back on MEtacam, 24 hours of no pain relief really affects her, and still not sure anything is really easing her limping. Her mouth is quite stinky today, and her front tooth looks like she might have broke it. I can't believe she still has gingivitis, and not sure how that has started - does anyone know if it is connected to CRF?
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2010, 20:47:49 PM »
Just out of curiosity Des, I just ordered dome "Specifics" weight loss food for Kylie. They also do a renal dry which also contains psyllium so is probably quite high fibre/low cal. I think Hill's renal is quite high fat as Kylie likes it. I didn't order any specifics renal dry as Clapton doesn't eat biscuits any more really and I know a lot of people think dry renal food is a no no - especially for cats that don't drink a lot of water. Luckily Clapton does.

Link to CatChat