Author Topic: Vibes needed please - all 3 poorly - RIP Sam :(  (Read 50450 times)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Re: Vibes needed please
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2009, 19:34:06 PM »
  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: :hug:
I've no practical advice to offer - you  know the options better than I do - but I know how hard this must be for you.  I hope with all my heart that things improve.  You will do the right thing whatever it turns out to be.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2009, 19:02:33 PM »
not had a very good evening with her - she has barely eaten her breakfast, just a bit of Molly's and some dry (although they have had treats today too), and she hasn't touched much of her tea either - I medicated her before hand, and she ran straight in the bathroom and refused to come out. I just hate how much she is cringing at me and running away from me, I am going to see if the vet nurse will medicate her tomorrow for me, so she at least has one day away, cos her reaction tonight has made me want to stop medicating her completely, but I know what will happen if I do that - I wouldnt mind putting her through it if it seemed to help though. If I can't get her eating a bit more though, i might as well give her a break from the medication, as she can't survive on what she has eaten today.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2009, 11:12:12 AM »
Thanks, i dont think I will put her through any tests if she has lost some more weight tomorrow, as pilling her really isn't an option, she ran away from me after breakfast this morning clearly expecting me to chuck something down her throat, and I hate it when they start associating you with negative things, especially when you live alone. Might ask if they can listen to her heart again, in case it has got worse, as we might have a new vet in the new year, so they wont know what it was like.

Arthur was really annoying me yesterday, i am trying to cut down his biscuits as his tum is looking a bit large, so he ransacked the cat room trying to find the biscuits, and constantly scavenged when he was allowe out of isolation, and tried to bat Sam round the head. Fingers crossed we can find a new home for him in the new year.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2009, 18:31:14 PM »
Topping up with more vibes and good wishes x

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2009, 18:29:48 PM »
Sending more good wishes for Zi  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 15:41:26 PM »
Positive healing vibes for darling Zi Des, bless its such a worry when they still show symptoms...... :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 11:43:32 AM »
Still worried about Zi, as she is still limping despite a months worth of medication, not grooming herself that well and hating me doing things to her. Will have to see what happens when she gets weighed on Tues (if I can move the car by then!!). Her gums are still slightly red, and she yowls for food when there is some still down, so she is clearly getting fussy and she is just hating being medicated, and me fussing her. I think that is bothering me more, that she is even ducking when I go to fuss her, cos she is expecting something nasty. If she has lost more weight, then I also have to decide what to do with regards to testing, as I wont be able to medicate her that well. Her back end clearly is bothering her, as she has just gone for me for touching it.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 20:00:20 PM »
Can't remember if she likes white fish or not, i know she doesn't like smoked salmon!! She is eating, but she isn't a big wet food fan, she didn't eat it at all before coming here 2 years ago, so I see anything as a bonus. Ironic, actually, that she has worse teeth than Molly, who prefers wet. Just sad at the moment that although she wants to be near me, she is so wary cos i am either pulling at her fur trying to groom her (she is the only short haired cat I have ever known who can get mats on the top of her head!!), or putting medication down her throat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 16:58:38 PM »
Hope you can find something Zia can eat, and hope her bloods are ok.  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2009, 16:49:36 PM »
Sending Zia lots of good vibes and love :hug: Does she like white fish? I was thinking of coley maybe she finds it easy to eat ,its very cheap and most cats like it.
Sending love to Arthur and Sam too. :Luv: x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 16:30:46 PM »
Poor Zia, hope you can help her it's sometimes so hard with the oldies knowing what to do for the best  :hug:   Good to hear about Sam and Arthur  :)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 15:48:36 PM »
You really have got it all going on hav'nt you Des!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope everything starts to calm down with the puds and your family issues...Please know we are all sending out positive healing vibes to make everything as smooth as possible!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 10:52:10 AM »
I bought the pouches for Sam, he was so so with them, but the girls seemed to like it, till i bought them a box of each variety, now they dont want to know!! I think it is too hard for Zia. Am still worried about her, she is still limping, despite daily Metacam, her gums are still red, and she is getting very wary of me cos of putting the Metacam straight into her mouth (can't guarantee she will eat enough food if it is in). Her back end is looking very thin, and her fur is starting to get a bit knotty, but she wont let me touch it. I really dont like our locum vet though (had a fight to get a bottle of Metacam, as she forgot she had prescribed it!!), she is up to see the vet nurse for her weight and gums a week on Tues and take it from there, if she has lost weight, we will have to consider bloods, in case it is thyroid or organs, but am thinking this is the beginning of the end with her, especially as she isn't liking being medicated, she is 20 in April, so she has done really well. I think we might have to bring her bloods forward, she does keep going to the water bowl, although not sure just how much she is actually drinking, she has gone to it at least 4 times since i changed it this morning, but the level doesn't seem to have gone down all that much. hard to check her hydration levels as she is fed up of being grabbing her!!

No more signs of Sam spraying, him and Arthur have only had one spat this week, but my sis had to bring her dog round on Wed, cos we were having family issues, and despite my sis's 6mo JR pup being bigger than Sam, he went for him twice!! He clearly doesn't care he has no teeth to attack with, and he does sometimes get scratched in return. He has been very clingy the past couple of days, he can clearly pick up on my moods. I have had him for a whole year now too, will do a birthday post for him.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 13:26:17 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 21:00:07 PM »
I think they are £2.99 a box, mine would not eat the tinned....Maybe I will buy a box and see how they go as I do have a couple who wont eat dry!  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 20:57:06 PM »
That's right, infact I got the pouches last time and my 2 won't eat the bloomin' tins now  :-:

Classic in the tins is soft though I think, I mush(ed) ours up so it was sloppier.  Hope you can sort her mouth out poor kitty, glad her limping has stopped though. 

Bless Sam!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:46:07 AM by Janeyk »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 20:51:03 PM »
Aw Des they are just keeping you on your toes! What's wrong with grey hair btw?  :evillaugh: :hug:

Poor Sam hope something gets sorted for his poorly mouth! Him spraying and him and Arthur being confrontational is gonna be a prob for you! Hope you can get that sorted!!!  :hug:

Do you know PAH now do the classic pouches? Think they would be softer than the tinned?  ;)

Happy Birthday Molly!!!  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 11:17:39 AM »
Well, am convinced these cats are trying to make me go grey!!

Arthur is still fussing with his mouth, so giving him some MEtacam till i can speak to the rescue (we had another Christmas fair yesterday, so they were all there).

Got a selection of food for Zia, and think she can only eat certain kinds of food, think Classic is too hard for her gums, which were still red on Thurs, so gave her some of Arthurs Antirobe, which are stronger, so only one a day, but she is a nightmare to medicate, i do everything after she has eaten, and she tries to hide, then I have to syringe Metacam into her, and the last two nights convince her to eat medicated Primula and resorting to wiping it on her paws, so she then wont come anywhere near me, which i hate. She doesn't seem to be limping quite so much today, so at least one thing is sorted, just wondering what we do next with her mouth. She has also brought up two lots of white foamy stuff this week (she is completley indoor through her choice).

Sam and Arthur have had a couple of fisticuffs this week, and Sam has sprayed in the house, so things not looking good there. He also had a really pooey bum yesterday, so had to be held over the kitchen sink and washed down (bizarrely, he seems to allow that more than being wiped with baby wipes - and still speaks to me afterwards!!).

It was also Molly's birthday this week.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 07:58:55 AM »
He is getting on my nerves with it again, I wouldnt mind if I didn't have two cats who are losing weight and I need to know if it is him or their health issues.

I hope that is all it is, and she is only on a low dose of Metacam - she always drinks more on it though, which worries me. she is still being picky with food, so despite having about 6 boxes of food in, I will go and buy a selection from the co-op and see what she prefers. I am also struggling with biscuits as the ones she prefers are the senior ones, which have less calories in them!!

Molly has a little tiny lump on her head, will keep an eye on that for a few days before rushing her to the vet!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:00:46 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 03:20:37 AM »
Arthur what are you like you greedy boy!  :naughty: :Luv2: :hug:

Good idea to find out exactly what she is doing food etc wise.....Do you think the limp getting more noticeable could be cos the weather's gone really cold?

Hope you get over your cold quick Des, they do affect us more when we are feeling vulnerable!  :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 08:03:51 AM »
Well, Arthur has been back to his scavenging, her bowl looked suspiciously clean last night and I know he had been on the worktop cleaning bowls for me. I am tempted to lock her in the bathroom for 24 hours to see just what she is eating, drinking and toileting (she does go in there through choice, so shouldnt be too stressful). Also, i might be imagining things, but she seems to be limping more, and apart from 2 missed doses, she has been on Metacam for a week. I think I will give her another week and if no better, get the vet to look at her again, it might take more than a week to kick in.

Unfortunately I have now got a yucky cold, think it is just cos my body is now relaxing!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:05:05 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 18:47:39 PM »
Hope she feels more like eating bless! Positive vibes for her!  :Luv2: :hug:

Glad you are feeling less stressed, I think the tiredness comes after being so stressed out! You need a couple of days to catch up!!!  ;) :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 08:03:59 AM »
Thanks - Arthur certainly feels fine, he was back to pinching food again!!

Zi brought up some foamy stuff yesterday and does seem a bit reluctant to eat, although is drinking a lot, so will leave the ab's out of her food tonight and give her something nice and tasty to see if it is just the taste of the ab's she dislikes, and she has plenty of biscuits.

I am less stressed although stll tired!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 15:55:21 PM »
So glad to hear Arthur's teeth have been sorted and that he is now fully fit (to eat!  :innocent::hug: :hug:

Sending positive healing vibes out to them all Des!  ;)

Wow Ellie loves Arthur!!! Aw that is sweet and I suppose you feel less stressed because of this!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 13:51:51 PM »
Yeah, am sure he does. I didn't think they were that close, she does like to rub against him while they are waiting for their food though, and he does occasionally lick her - they never sleep together though. I gave him some unmedicated Primula earlier and he ate it, so will try again with his meds in it later. I hope it is just her mouth, and she could be being fussy with her food at the moment as it has meds in it - her first antirobe she took with primula over it, but not since, but i do put the Metacam straight into her mouth, as both meals have Antirobe in them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 13:02:22 PM »
Great to hear that Arthur has had his teeth sorted Desley and he has to feel better for that.  I'm really surprised at Ellie missing him so much too - is he fond of her?  Do hope you can find something to pill Sam with, I have trouble giving Fortekor to Pepper lately anything with it in he won't touch and if I don't watch he goes and pinches Byron's food instead.  Hope Zi  hasn't anything to worry about, though if she's demanding food but not eating much that may be her mouth and hopefully will settle with the abs :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 11:55:20 AM »
Hiya hope all improve. our furballs all seem to know how to stres us out

good vibes sent your way
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 11:17:17 AM »
Thanks for posting Jane, am hoping next week will be better and less hectic than this one - certainly not doing 2 fundraisers next week!!

Arthur proved me wrong, and is perfectly fine, although minus 9 teeth!! I have Metacam for him but not used it yet as he isn't showing any signs of being in pain, he is demanding food just as much as before, still trying to scavenge!! He is still on ear drops and the vet did check his eye and nothing, so the blood has been coming from him catching it. Ellie barely acknowledged me while he was at the vets, she wouldnt come out from her den for me, even though I sat there for over an hour!! She is much happier now, so clearly missed him.

Sam is still eating well and back to eating food he turned down a couple of weeks ago!! He does prefer his food with dry sprinkled on it still though. He is also back to picking on the neighbours cat, so is sporting a scratched nose at present!! He has gone off Primula though, so pilling him has been very tricky this weekend.

Zi is still the worrying one, her gums dont seem as red, and I bought some Classic pouches for the girls, so she is having that as well as the Antirobe. She doesn't actually seem to be eating as much, although is still demanding food. If she has lost weight in a month, I will ask for full bloods, in case it is her thyroid. She is also going to have to get used to being brushed more, she isn't a big fan of it. Looks like I might have been wrong to be pleased at her weight loss at her 6 monthly weigh in, it might not have been the diet, and I am just hoping it isn't the start of something serious.

Thanks for all the good wishes
Please spay your cat

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 18:30:34 PM »
And loads of positive vibes from me and my gang for this trio :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 09:12:18 AM »
Tons of vibes from me and Poot too  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 22:33:27 PM »
lots of good vibes and hope all improve   :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 22:28:47 PM »
Yep, vibes and hugs from me three!   :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 21:31:39 PM »
Poor Desley. Sending vibes and hugs! :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 18:43:16 PM »
Do you know? This lady deserves a medal!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thinking of you and sending positive healing vibes for all your poorly babes!  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 14:35:08 PM »
Desley asked me to post this update as she may not get on Purrs until Friday:

Arthur had vomiting as well as diarrhea on Tues, although hopefully that was just the gorging on biscuits, as there was nothing today, but still diarrhea. I have reduced his food, so he is going round scavenging!! He doesn't smell as much now, and his ears look better, but his paws are now filthy, not quite sure where that is coming from. Must remember to starve him tomorrow night, will have to pop him in the bathroom, or Ellie can't eat.

Sam had put 100g on, and hasn't missed a meal since his two days on Metacam over the weekend, so just got him weighed last night. He still looks thin to me, but not as bad as I had suspected.

Zi's visit wasn't at all promising - as she had been fussing at her mouth, the vet checked it for me, and as soon as she opened it, the smell hit, and most of her gums are really red. Vet is fairly confident it is gingivitis rather than dental, so she is on 7 days of Antirobe (tricked her with Primula this morning). Ironically she is the only cat in the house who favours dry over wet!! Then we weighed her to find she had lost 100g since her last checkup, which I think was only 2 months ago. I had changed her diet after her last weigh in, to take out the senior wet, and have now changed her biscuits to adult. What worried me most about her weight was that the vet felt a heart murmur (which apparently was there when I first fostered her, but I wasn't aware of it) and the vet said with her age it was likely progressive and could be the reason behind her weight loss - so am going to get her weighed again in a month and if she is still losing despite adult food and more biscuits, then it is a real worry (although Arthur has pinched at least one of her meals this week). Then I got the vet to check her limp, and one of her hips is in the wrong place!! It feels like an old injury apparently, so nothing much to be done, other than daily Metacam, but at a dose lower than what she actually weighs. So my supposedly healthy 19.5 yo isn't quite as healthy, and I am just praying her weight loss isn't down to her heart.

I still have sore arms and am exhausted, partly cos of worry, and partly cos I am struggling to get comfy!! Just what I want with fundraising all day tomorrow!!

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 13:48:12 PM »
Hope the vet visit went fine yesterday  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 11:16:57 AM »
Just wanted to send this:  :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 06:30:53 AM »
Sending lots of good vibes for Zia, Sam and Arthur.
Hope the vet visit went well, and sending you  :hug: :hug: x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 02:28:57 AM »
Cor it never comes in dribs and drabs does it!  :hug: :hug:

Glad Arthur's tum seems to be settling! Hope everything went well at the vets on your visit!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

OH had both his jabs too last week and he was sore across the shoulder's, hope your not too sore today!  ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »
Thanks - Arthur has an upset tum due to the ab's, so i tried to restrict his food - he got into Sams food, and then overnight decided to rip a bag of dry food open and gorge on it - needless to say he was sick off that!!! At least no diarrhea as well.

Then Zi acted like she was going to be sick, think she got a bit of food stuck, so will have to get the vet to check her mouth tonight.

Sam seems to be eating normally again, and has only had to have 2 doses of Metacam, so will just get him weighed tonight.

On top of this, I had my swine and seasonal flu jabs, so have 2 very sore arms, so hardly slept and have two cats to get to the vets tonight!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 17:27:56 PM »
lots of good vibes for all  :hug:

Link to CatChat