Author Topic: Looking to give a home to a cat or a couple  (Read 7845 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Looking to give a home to a cat or a couple
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 13:04:01 PM »
You will pay a fee whenever u adopt a rescue cat which is very Fair as the people put in such hard work and it all costs alot of money, when i adopted kitty the adoption fee was £45 she had been spayed, vaccinated, Flead and wormed i can assure u it cost alot more than this to have it all done   

It would be nice if you would read my post carefully. I certainly agree that paying a fee for veterinary care and other third party costs. I never said cats should go for free. At the same time, I do not consider 150 GBP a price for deworming and defleaing. And if it is, I just want to see the bill, that's all I ask and I think it is a reasonable request. Any other issues that you think might need to be clarified?

Well we're running at £4K losses over 6 months,  - a position a lot of rescues will probably envy, most rescues are always struggling for funds! The other thing to remember is when rehoming a pedigree cat, a sum has to be asked for else someone could turn a tidy profit reselling. The few pedigrees that have passed through our group always cause me to worry.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 13:05:15 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 12:48:18 PM »
Whilst caring for any foster we have had you seem to omit the fosterers time spent with the animal, the cost of food, litter and electricity etc - food, litter etc are paid for byu the rescue in most cases but the time and love and electricity are paid for by the fosterer or organisation concerned

My advice if you won't pay an adoption fee then don't bother adopting

I am a crazy cat person I have 46 cats and 3 dogs and yes they are our lives, they cost us on average - Vets fees - £5000 per year and thats just the basics injections and worm and flea control - all are id chipped and speyed/neutered that soes include the dogs to, Food bill is £6000 a year approx dependant on offers on food etc.

We have also loved and lost 2 this year not much change out of £1000 and each was cremated at a cost of £138.00 and brought home, we had another one whose bills amounted to £600 for a week at the vet, my puppy was bitten by an adder (snake) and again had a nice 3 figure vets bill, also had 2 feral kittens with cat flu so again a nice lot of cost and shredded skin - both after 2 months are little purr monsters now.

We do it because we can and all mine are rescues and lifes rejects including my rescue ragdoll who 5 years ago I made a donation of £150.00 to keep her from having more homes - she has issues but I love her anyway

The type of cat you want usually comes in the soft toy variety at a cheaper cost

Please do not judge us for what we say or do we are a very nice place once you look around before we judge but your posts weren't exactly overly friendly - and re the language barrier there is no excuse for it - my nephews partner speaks better English than most folks I know and she is from Poland!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
Sorry can I just add, you are sooooo way off beam on your comments of racism Animula.  I think I have to leave Gill to respond if she wants too but had to mention it just for anyone else reading this in case Gill chooses not to respond.  Suffice to say you would have a better understanding of this site and it's members if you looked around it a bit more.

There is are a lot of freeloaders in 'animal rescue' and a very thin line between rehoming and reselling a cat. And I know exactly where my limits are.

Sorry but in my book that is pretty judgemental and it would be very nice if we could all just start over? The way it works in the UK is for a donation to be requested by the cat rescue.  A rescue couldn't possibly survive if it linked the donation directly to the costs incurred on a particular cat.  That would just mean some cats would never be rehomed due to the high costs incurred nursing them back to health.   

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
Hmmm, not sure what happened on here...

Anyway, welcome to the site animula. I'm sure there's a cat you could give a very good home to either on here or on catchat, the site Sam's already mentioned. :)

Are you saying you'd prefer a pedigree or is that irrelevant? There's pedigree rescues and moggie rescues use both this site and the one mentioned. I've never had a pedigree myself but that doesn't stop me seeing how stunning they are, I just prefer moggies!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:55:08 AM »
I'd be amazed if £90 would even touch the sides for an average sum spent - for everyone that only needs feeding there are probably two that need jabs or chips or even medical treatment

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »
Hi Animula

I thought perhaps a culture barrier existed here too as part of your 1st post is so caring and part quite pointedly implying that a lot of cat rescues were in rescue for the money.  I then saw your further comments on this post also concerning the money.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,25136.msg514140.html#msg514140

I am a bit shocked that, having helped in rescue for 3 years, you think a £90 donation to home a ragdoll is excessive. Why is the money such an issue?  Surely if you have worked in rescue for that long you will be only too well aware of the costs involved and especially in current economic climate, things are extremely tough. 

If I worked in rescue and someone insisted on seeing proof of the money I had spent rescuing a cat, I would be very offended.  No offence intended to you but I would be concerned that someone who thought £90 too much for a ragdoll might also have problems with vet fees later.  Have you thought perhaps of fostering?

I got the impression from your original post that someone had indicated that you would have to be at home 24/7 before a particular cat could be rehomed to you and I agree that, barring some special reason, that is not realistic.  My 6 cats (all moggy rescues) however often interfere with my job duties  :)  In fact I spent quite some time recording the 1st birthday tumbling of the 2 youngest to post on here to show them off and I'm purrfectly normal  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 07:32:14 AM »
Hi Animula,

As a volunteer for Cats Protection, I agree £150 is excessive for a donation. A donation is exactly what it says. We always hope to get a reasonable one as we rely on donations to cover vet bills etc. We always hope to get £50 and if people have plenty of money, a bit more - but in the real world. most people don't have a lot of money  :evillaugh:
As for being with cats 24hrs a day, that is a luxury reserved for very few - we always ask if someone is home for "part of the day" - again, in the real world, people have to go to work etc.

I hope you find what you are looking for. There are plenty of Pedigrees as well as moggies looking for homes.

The times I do get angry are when people offer £10 or sometimes even nothing when they are obviously well-off. One woman recently said she would give a good donation and even asked If I would collect the cats from the fosterers house to save cab fares - she said she would pay my petrol costs. I used my time and petrol to collect the cats for her and she ended up not giving a donation nor paying my petrol money  :tired:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:47:15 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 22:18:06 PM »
Well, what i can add to this is - i paid £120 for Bungly ( more than any other rescue cat i have had ). She was vaccinated and wormed - BUT she had recently had Major Surgery on her ear - which you can visibly notice - i was led to believe it cost around £1000 which i have no reason to doubt as i spend an awful lot of time at my vets - Bungly 4 years down the line now has Liver cancer , although not in any pain and doing okay at the moment .  She is worth every penny in what she repays me with love and devotion .

In respect to the statement that any person who wishes to spend 24/7 with a cat /cats is not  a reasonable or sane person and the cats are not babies .

Well i know they are not babies - i would rather have a hundred cats than one baby - BUT they are my family and i love them  more than any human i actually know .

Obviously i must also be insane as i love nothing more than spending 24/7 with my cats - i prefer to be known as eccentric in that case .
I can also read a book too whilst having a cat or two round me - i multi task  :rofl:
I do go out when as as needed - but i also have cats that need to be kept an eye on and to give daily medication to .
I have no wish to change my self or ideas in any way and if anyone thinks i am insane -well , let them  :rofl:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 22:15:03 PM »
Hi animula,

:welcome: to Purrs.  It's great to hear you are looking to offer a couple of furbabes and loving home with you and your partner.  Have you had a look at the "cats needing homes" section?

Alternatively if none of them appeals to you have you had a look at our "sister" site catchat and checked out the resuces in your area (just click on the map for your area and it will bring up a list of local rescues). http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html  Most of the rescues have a "catchat rehoming page" .... if you click on the link it will give you details of some of their kitties looking for a home.

I wish you lots of luck in finding the right furries for your home.

If you have any questions or queries ... please do not hesitate to ask.

Sam xx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 22:11:23 PM »
I normally dont enter into arguements but i feel this time that the slur on the wonderful people on here that do rescue work is totally uncalled for.
We have several very worthy rescues who give 150% of their time and love to these animals sometimes brining them back from the  brink of death
We have one lady who is in hospital because she gives so much of herself like 24/7 care to helpless kittens who without this care would die as many do  
thats not to mention the Purrs family who move heaven and earth to help out people who offer homes but have no means of getting the kitties to their new homes
These rescues help not only ordinary kitties but also pedigrees without any bias whats so ever
Then we have the  people who have ill cats for whatever reason who unstintingly give their love and devotion 24/7, i certainly wouldnt class them as insane for giving their time ,

iITS CALLED LOVE
We are a family on here and yes we have disagreements and arguements but thats part of family life and i for one im proud to be one of those insane people who give without thought my time / money and anything else it takes to help any kitty to find a home where it will be loved and cherished
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 22:09:21 PM »
What an entrance !

Maybe its the Language barrier that makes you post come across as bossy and rude...

You'll probably have Me certified but all my 10 cats are my babies, I'd quiet happily spend 24hrs with them and if they needed Me they would certainly interfere with my job duties

Offline animula

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 21:36:13 PM »
You will pay a fee whenever u adopt a rescue cat which is very Fair as the people put in such hard work and it all costs alot of money, when i adopted kitty the adoption fee was £45 she had been spayed, vaccinated, Flead and wormed i can assure u it cost alot more than this to have it all done   

It would be nice if you would read my post carefully. I certainly agree that paying a fee for veterinary care and other third party costs. I never said cats should go for free. At the same time, I do not consider 150 GBP a price for deworming and defleaing. And if it is, I just want to see the bill, that's all I ask and I think it is a reasonable request. Any other issues that you think might need to be clarified?

Offline animula

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 21:32:40 PM »
I came to this board to find a cat, and possibly discuss with other cat owner and I am rather surprised to be reading your your purebred xenofobic reply. I am glad that you have shown me what this site if about before I waste more time here.

To reflect some of your statements:

"I dont think any rescue is going to show you bills etc, you take or leave their requirements."

Then I am not interested. As I said, I spent 3 years in rescue as a volunteer and consider myself experienced enough to know what to ask for, and what to think if I do not get it. There is are a lot of freeloaders in 'animal rescue' and a very thin line between rehoming and reselling a cat. And I know exactly where my limits are.

"I think if you are going to be a real member of Purrs you should look around Purrs more before you you start judging people,"

Where exactly do you see me judge anyone? Please copy-paste, since I am not aware of any judgemental statements since those are not my style.

"especially as you are new to this country and most members here are born and bred here."

Excuse me? I just wonder how many of your 'fellow purebreds' are ashamed of you for writing this. I consider this statement of yours absolutely unacceptable. If you are this arrogant and xenophobic I think you should reconsider posting any more replies to what I write, since I have absolutely zero interest in comments, opinions from xenophobic, narrow minded 'purebreds.' I have zero tolerance of racism, xenophobia or nationalism. Do I make myself clear?

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 21:17:29 PM »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 18:42:18 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I believe you are from Czech Rep  ;D

We respect everyones opinions on here but you must also  :shify:

I am putting one answer to your 3 posts on here.

Many rescue cats are going to cost you a donation to help the next cat along the line, pedigrees may cost more but its up to each rescue what they charge.

I dont think any rescue is going to show you bills etc, you take or leave their requirements.

Many peeps here are with their cats 24/7 becuase they either want to be or have no choice but those who work obviously arent.

I have four cats and am here most of the time but I go out and go places but no for more than 24 hours due to the health of one of them.

As a new member you cannot send pms but can receive them and once having been on the site and posted more you will then have full access to the site.

I think if you are going to be a real member of Purrs you should look around Purrs more before you you start judging people, especially as you are new to this country and most members here are born and bred here.

If you dont like what you see, thats fine but you need to agree to disgree on things . Purrs is a site for rescue and welfare of cats  and our members are great and so is the site.....but of cousre that is just my opinion.  :innocent:

Offline animula

• Kitten
Looking to give a home to a cat or a couple
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 15:49:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I would like to give you a story of mine first... I am from continental Europe, I used to live in the US & came to work to UK in my professional field a few months ago... since childhood we would have a cat at home - and mostly those would be kittens needing home that we would take.
I spent three years during university working in cat rescue, I have encountered some horrific stories and also some most touching ones; and I think I can proudly say I managed to get a few cats nice and happy homes. I do get pictures occasionally, and generally I think that 'buying' a cat - purebred or just an ordinary kitty is kind of - nonsense - no offence to anyone.
So once I decided to get a cat, and I know how difficult it is for older cats to get a home, moreover for a couple of cats that cannot be separated, I started googling some reasonable keywords and found a few purebred 'rescues' that were: old cats (over 10 Y's), and inseparable. So once I emailed the people who were the contact persons, I started to receive - in my opinion - weird responses? Such as 'we want someone to spend 24/7 with the cats' (WTH?) 'we want someone to live close enough so we can visit' (fair enough) or 'we require 150£ donation per cat.' All of this seemed to me - ridiculous? I always regarded re-homing of a cat as a sort of 'good deed,' not as reselling. I am happy to cover veterinary bills if I see those, but I do not want to feel as if 'buying' the cat, that is just against my convictions.

I am a very responsible, yet rational owner, and I do not think that a cat = baby. Cat is certainly a commitment and I will do my best to provide the most suitable environment full of love and care, but at the same time I refuse to let the cat interfere e.g. with my job duties - that is just insane I think. Personally, I cannot imagine a reasonable and sane person that would be willing to spend 24/7 with a cat, and I cannot imagine a reasonable cat that would stand this  :Luv:. What I love about cats is their independence, yet affection, their self-standing nature; if I wanted a codependent clingy creature, I'd get a dog  ;)

So I hope no one is offended by my opinions, and lets get to the business: ;D I adore purebred cats just like anyone, since they are beautiful and usually indoor cats. I live in a flat in central London, have no access to garden, so I am looking for an indoor 'pet(s).' As I mentioned, I looked up purebred cats and I would like to have those - like 'once in a lifetime' but I do not insist on it; if there is one cat or a couple in need of a home, let me know... I have no kids, no pets except for a partner  :naughty: (who likes cats).

With respect to costs - if I see the veterinary bills I will be happy to cover those no matter how much money that is, but I want to know exactly what the money is for; if you have bills for any additional care that went directly to the cat I will cover those as well, but paying 150£ for a cat  really does not feel like a 'rescue' to me.

Thanks for reading, again I apologize for any offense - none intended, but I want to be very clear of where I stand upfront (: so noone's time is wasted.

Link to CatChat