Author Topic: Spud poo's at the front door!  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Spud poo's at the front door!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 19:11:33 PM »
Toiletting on a door mat is classic behaviour from a cat insecure about the smells comming in, all kinds of aromas come in on your feet and they are strongest on the doormat, makes sense to him!
I think feliway to try and make the area less of a threat and id put a tray there, if hes doing it there anyway you arent encouraging him iyswim, if the feliway helps you can then try moving the tray inch by inch away and see if he follows it...

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 18:38:56 PM »
Yeah I might give that ago see how he reacts

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 17:04:23 PM »
Feliway spray might help. You can target the area he is using (after clean up to remove any trace of smell that might attract him back) and in the general area around the front door.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 20:55:57 PM »
no - he's just doing what a boy cat has to do

and he'll probably stop in his own good time
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 20:53:27 PM »
Yeah every cloud lol I did think I was happy it was poo not wee. I'll try some newspaper tonight but I don't want him to feel he needs to mark his territory... does it mean he is unhappy?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 18:36:10 PM »
if it's a territory thing just putting newspaper down might be enough, as he is not going to bury his poo anyway - then you can just chuck it away in the morning

poo is actually easier to deal with than wee in a situation like this
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 18:15:22 PM »
If he is only doing this on a night time and early morning I would put a litter tray there! He will use his normal place on through the day!  ;)

Early morning and at night, would they be the high traffic time's then?  :shify: If so he is marking his territory!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 18:17:15 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 18:08:19 PM »
I haven't tried with a litter tray there as I didn't want him to get use to doing his business there. I do have a feeling it is down to the fact that people going out at night, people coming in, dogs walking past. We are the first flat you walk past to come into the flats, so I think this is his prob. The only way to keep him away is to lock him in the living room at night but he usually sleeps outside my door at night and to get upstairs he would have to walk past the corridor where he keeps pooing.

But if this is the only option then... I guess no other choice?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 17:31:13 PM »
as uncovered poo is often left as a 'keep off my territory' warning, it might well be something going on on the other side of your front door which he interprets as a threat

can you keep him away from the door at night?
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 17:00:57 PM »
Have you tried putting a littertray there?

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
Spud poo's at the front door!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 16:24:28 PM »
Spud has everything and more he could want I never see any signs of stress, plenty of hiding places cat posts toys etc. We have given him 2 litter trays plenty of water bowl fountains around the flat and he is feed well. The only issue is at night and early morning he has a habit of doing a poo at our front door... we used Urine off to clean it properly and started placing bowls of water at the door which either confused him or put him off for a bit but then started doing it just a bit further away.

The only thing I could think of was it must be stress from noise at night of people coming through the entrance to the flats, or the smell of peoples dogs outside our flat door when they take them for a walk. He only does it early morning or night never else. He uses the tray always for pee and for a poo during day time.

It is getting frustrating but I don't want to shout at him as I think this would make a nervous cat but ARGHH!

Link to CatChat