Author Topic: How can I stop my cat wasting so much food?  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: How can I stop my cat wasting so much food?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 16:15:33 PM »
Jess is a feed me what I want cat. So he has Felix and won't touch anything else. The battles we had when he was on his special urinary diet were awful. It literally was a battle of wills for weeks.

Milo however will eat anything, quite literally.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 13:27:52 PM »
Sorry but I don't think you will ever stop your cat or anyone's cat from leaving food - they are fussy and WE let them get away with it.

But I look at it this way - I used to love roast beef and now I don't like it, I used to ate weetabix and now I love it - so why should it be different for our cats?  :naughty: :rofl: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 13:03:43 PM »
I've just sent off for a second-hand edition of Joe Inglis' book 'Feline Feasts', as I thought it might be worth a try doing a bit of home-cooking, and I bet it costs less too
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 12:55:11 PM »
If you want healthier and more ethical have you tried any raw food? Assuming you eat meat, you could start with just a tiny taste when you are chopping chicken or about to fry off mince, so there is no risk of waste. Some cats don't see raw meat as food to begin with, others go crazy: Noah's first half a chicken wing made him purr and kept him busy for half an hour! I've since tried him on beef mince and offal mix and again he purrs and licks the bowl clean.  ;D
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »
Afraid you should have kept him on something he ate Whiskers or not!

There is a vast difference between what a human thinks is best for a cat and what a cat likes to eat and the latter has to apply at the end of the day or they will starve. MY kocka was one of these, starve or feed me what I want cats.

If you find an answer I am sure lots of us would like to know and my birmans are classic and between the two of them not eating enough to keep a flea alive grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr at present.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 11:13:52 AM »
I think a lot of cats become fussy once they realise they are boss  :evillaugh: - My Alice is a classic. When I got her 2 years ago, she would hoover anything up - these days, I have to present things for her approval (or more often not  :tired: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »
It may be a good idea to have a health check if he seems to have lost his appetite.  If everything is ok healthwise he is probably just been fussy, it can be difficult with some cats finding just what they like.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline KateT

• Kitten
How can I stop my cat wasting so much food?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:57:21 AM »
Hi everyone,
When I first adopted my cat, he ate anything. Unfortunately, a friend looked after him for a couple of months, started feeding him Whiskas, and from then on he became ultra fussy about his food. I don't like what they put into whiskas and have been trying to get him to eat healthier and more ethical brands, but he just wastes it all. He's even started to be fussy about Whiskas now, just licking off the gravy and leaving the rest. I'm despairing! Any tips?

Cheers,

Kate

Link to CatChat