Author Topic: How to deter Louis from biting/nibbling  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Re: How to deter Louis from biting/nibbling
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 12:58:47 PM »
ummm what do you do when they bit your face, I have only just got rid of 4 fang marks from Franta and he also bit my nose and he makes me bleed and far too painful to ignore!

erm, was going to say "I thought" the gentle biting / nibbling was an affectionate thing?? Olivia does it sometimes ( she's 5 ) but there is no aggression with it?

Stupidly , I think he is being affectionate in his little way  :shify: :shify:

:evillaugh: :evillaugh:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »
ummm what do you do when they bit your face, I have only just got rid of 4 fang marks from Franta and he also bit my nose and he makes me bleed and far too painful to ignore!

erm, was going to say "I thought" the gentle biting / nibbling was an affectionate thing?? Olivia does it sometimes ( she's 5 ) but there is no aggression with it?

Stupidly , I think he is being affectionate in his little way  :shify: :shify:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 10:50:57 AM »
I always found the blowing in the face (quite hard) worked, it startles them into stopping but doesn't scare them and they don't associate you with being mean.

This is because when a cat hisses, to scare an aggressor off, they blow air out of their mouths. So the cat recognises it as a warning sign.

I also do this to Harry when he's being a bit too rough  :innocent:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 21:58:55 PM »

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 20:54:41 PM »
Spud always attacks my shoe laces and I've found as mentioned blowing him in the face stops him and I've read if you ignore bad behaviour it should help deter.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 20:05:08 PM »
For biting your hands id use helens approach, negative reinforcement without being mean and shouting.

It was you that told me about in in the first place MM,  worked a treat with the boys when they went through their bitey stage  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 20:03:18 PM »
I wouldnt worry about the tummy suckling, they will grow out of it, tabitha used to suckle tazs chest hair but stopped around 10months of age  :Luv2:

For biting your hands id use helens approach, negative reinforcement without being mean and shouting.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 16:40:34 PM »
I always found the blowing in the face (quite hard) worked, it startles them into stopping but doesn't scare them and they don't associate you with being mean. They then associate biting/mouthing with that horrible feeling on their face and hopefully stop!

Looking forward to new piccies  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 14:07:52 PM »
They're 6 months pretty much on the dot and just started with some mounting etc  :-[ (getting de-nutted next week  :evillaugh: )

Ah funny enough one of Floyd's baby teeth fell out last night  :Luv: So maybe it is teething, they just pick the fleshy bits don't they? Another favourite is the bit between my thumb and fore finger, he sort of clamps down and then looks at me to see what my reaction will be. 

Well whenever it is sleepy time Floyd tries to suckle on Louis tummy really smacking his lips bless him  :-: He won't be distracted from it either, you have to physically move him unless Louis kicks him off first (with a soaking wet tummy)

Will put some photos on later when I get home from work  :Luv: They have grown soooo much, they're huge! It is funny because Kiki has totally stepped into the dominant female role with Louis next in line then Floyd oh and not forgetting poor Lie Down Gibson at the bottom of the pecking order  :evillaugh: and then sillly mummy and daddy off the scale  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 13:59:32 PM »
amber suckles

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 13:37:58 PM »
My fingers are always in a certain stinky someones mouth - a combination of licking, biting, sucking, chewing. Never hurts so I let him get on with it.

Pwease can we have pictuuuuures!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 13:34:04 PM »
Adult teeth come through by approx 7 months, so this could be teething related... ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 13:07:42 PM »
how old are yjey?  Tilly used to suckle Algie and bite us but once her big teeth came through she stopped

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 13:01:12 PM »
It sounds like its suckling and I dont know how you stop it but my birmans are 16 and they will lick and then suddenly bite, which may be part of the same thing or even what they do when grooming themselves but Franta will break the skin.

I havent found anyway of stopping them yet......sigh

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
How to deter Louis from biting/nibbling
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:38:38 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Well my little terrors/darlings have settled in wonderfully (I must do an updated thread when I get home later  :) ) but Louis has recently started to bite me mainly on the fleshy bits by my knuckles or elbows when I'm stroking him. He sort of 'latches on' then doesn't chew or anything just sits there applying a bit more pressure if I move my hand/arm. It doesn't massively hurt or break the skin but it certainly means my first reaction is to pull away.

My feeling is that it is for attention when I've paused stroking him for a brief second or when we're in bed and I dare to drop off to sleep  :evillaugh: I know that Vicky Halls says in her books not to make a big fuss when they do it but it is hard if he takes me by surprise and it makes me jump. He never does it to Jon, only me.

Just wondered if anybody had anything similar with their babes, also need a solution to stop Floyd from trying to suckle his brother's tummy all the time  :tired: but that's a different story

:thanks: everyone

Link to CatChat