Author Topic: My First Out-of-tray Experience!  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: My First Out-of-tray Experience!
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 12:05:23 PM »
I'm a bit late to this thread but its quite common for cats to want to poo and wee in separate trays which is fine if you have a big house but a problem otherwise. 
I wouldn't worry too much about this morning's episode - he was probably just sniffing to make sure that the poo had gone and wasn't actually ready to wee at that point.  The fact that he waited until he could get to his tray and didn't do anything in the living area shows that he knows what he has to do and the first episode where he wee-ed on your coat was probably opportunistic.  Moral of the story - don't put your coat on the floor  :rofl: 

Thanks for your reply! The hood is off the existing tray, and I have been paid today so going out to find something suitable locally for a second tray. I don't mind Noah having another tray if it makes him more comfortable: it can't be nice for him to not want to use his tray! It's strange in a way as he only had one (hooded) tray in his foster home.

He looked like he was trying to find somewhere else to wee, he doesn't usually sniff around as much as he was and he did seem to be starting to squat a couple of times. I then had to grab him and, as he is a nervous little thing, that distressed him (we have had a lovely cuddle since). The odd 'accident' is not a big deal but if he goes on the sofa, rug or bed I am worried he will keep doing that as I won't be able to get the scent out. I also don't want him to associate toileting with being distressed.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »
I'm a bit late to this thread but its quite common for cats to want to poo and wee in separate trays which is fine if you have a big house but a problem otherwise.  Korky was like that but I was lucky because he was very regular so I was usually able to remove the poo as soon as he did it.  If I wasn't able to do that he would try to avoid the part of the litter tray where the poo was by perching with most of his body out of the tray and just his back end in it - something he couldn't have done if the tray had a lid on it, so if you haven't already done so I'd definitely remove the lid. Occasionally he got it the wrong way round and put his front paws in the tray then wee-ed on the floor :doh: which wasn't a big problem as the floor is tiled and easy to clean.  In his latter months when he was less regular, less agile and wee-ed a lot more (he had CRF) I put an incontinence sheet under the tray which dealt with any accidents, but I can appreciate that you don't want to do that with a young cat.
I wouldn't worry too much about this morning's episode - he was probably just sniffing to make sure that the poo had gone and wasn't actually ready to wee at that point.  The fact that he waited until he could get to his tray and didn't do anything in the living area shows that he knows what he has to do and the first episode where he wee-ed on your coat was probably opportunistic.  Moral of the story - don't put your coat on the floor  :rofl: 

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »
I think we've had a near miss this morning, overnight poo scooped first thing and then right after breakfast Noah went to sniff the tray - and then wandered off. Had to shut him in the (large) living area and remove him anything fabric which he didn't like. Eventually he went back to the tray and did a massive wee. This is the first morning for a couple of days I have been woken by mioaws, but when I come through he sits by the food bowl. Given the poo hadn't long been gone I'm guessing he could still smell it??  :sick:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 22:31:45 PM »
I used to have a hooded tray, but I personally don't think they are that great an idea  :doh:

I would get rid of the Hood, " so you can see when it's needing cleaned " and does the cat litter you use Clump ??

I agree with Stuart about covered trays, I don't reckon them really, they are great idea for us as they keep smells contained, but thats the problem - the smells build up inside, no matter how fastidious you are at cleaning, the plastic absorbs the smells and cats of course have a far greater sense of smell than we do so it makes it unpleasant for them. I'd try his current tray without the hood first to guage reaction before going for another tray.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 00:58:10 AM »

Clever Noah, you have meowmy well trained!  :evillaugh: :rofl: :hug:

So true I wasn't going to order until payday, bet he saw me looking at the Dragonfly on YouTube and decided not to wait!! :naughty: He might have shot himself in the foot tho as if I need an expensive second tray and litter to fill it the Da Bird and co. order may have to wait until next month. :doh:
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 00:40:16 AM »
I have ordered him a Dragonfly toy from eBay to say sorry for being a rubbish slave!! ;D

Clever Noah, you have meowmy well trained!  :evillaugh: :rofl: :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 00:30:14 AM »
the fact that he removes his back legs from the used tray shows he is particular about standing in his own poos, so at least you know what the problem is, which is half the battle

I wouldn't fancy standing in my own poo either! :sick: I agree it's an issue with what I have (or have not) done, as he isn't known for going outside the tray and is a very fastidious cat generally. I was just surprised he didn't hold it as I know he has at his foster home, but maybe he had been holding on since half an hour after he did the poo? He did miaow to wake me but I assumed it was for food. Noah digs perched on the way in too and it's not a tiny tray, I chose a large one but I think I will get jumbo next time.

I have ordered him a Dragonfly toy from eBay to say sorry for being a rubbish slave!! ;D
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 22:51:53 PM »
the fact that he removes his back legs from the used tray shows he is particular about standing in his own poos, so at least you know what the problem is, which is half the battle
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 20:16:35 PM »
It might be simpler just to check the tray more than once a day. I always check mine (my cats) at least 3 times a day.  :sick: :sick: :sick:
Also, have you thought about a large plastic storage box, and cut out a  doorway in.?  ;)

Mostly Noah uses the tray overnight or right after his breakfast, therefore I need to scoop once every morning and occasionally at another time in the day. The poo Noah didn't want to wee on top of was definitely done overnight, and I'd been up no more than fifteen minutes when he crouched outside the tray. :tired: He also hates me picking up and carrying the tray, he crouches and runs off! I worry about him associating the tray with being scared .... A second tray would be best, as he didn't want/ wasn't able to wait for me to scoop this morning.

I did eye up some £1 plastic crates I already own this morning :naughty: and then remembered Noah stands on the lip of his current one with his back legs while he is digging with his front feet, so I probably need a lip again?? I will have a look round online.

I found this in Zooplus which is massive and deep but not cheap for just a tray:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/litter_tray_cat_toilet/98035
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 19:43:53 PM »
It might be simpler just to check the tray more than once a day. I always check mine (my cats) at least 3 times a day.  :sick: :sick: :sick:
Also, have you thought about a large plastic storage box, and cut out a  doorway in.?  ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 16:48:05 PM »
it's difficult to find a really deep tray without a cover

I have one which is very high at the back and lower in the front, but it came with a cover which I have never used, which was a waste of money
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 15:24:00 PM »
You can buy corner trays!  ;)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 14:23:07 PM »
Thanks again to all.

Noah never buries wees but does usually dig a big hole for poos, he just seems to have not buried all of it the last couple of times. As far as I can see his paws are fine he was certainly bouncing about like a kitten on the laminate yesterday after a tin foil ball! :Luv2: No shower enclosure so maybe the second tray will have to go in my bedroom, which wouldn't be my ideal choice!! If I get an open tray I will need a jumbo/ high sided so he doesn't pee over the edge, and that wouldn't fit where the covered tray is now. This needs some planning! :sneaky:
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »
if litter is ever an issue with his paws, builder's sand would do the trick

and cat's love 'littering' it, as many a builder knows only too well :sick:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
I have hooded trays, but had to take the door flap off as they would not go in!  :shocked:

Maybe he just like's it ever so clean and prefer's not to dig with his paws?  :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »
do you have a shower enclosure? that makes a good hiding place for a tray
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
I think that will be the answer  ;D

Franta also shouts at me is he has used the tray, so I can rush upstairs and refresh it......sigh  :innocent:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »
I have the hooded tray because CP advised me to for his privacy but I bought the largest I could find, shall I try a second open tray?

Kind of like the midwife suggesting what to do with your new baby, when infact the parent always knows best  ;)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:41:59 AM »
Thanks again to you both.  :rofl: At Misty going in the bag!

I have the hooded tray because CP advised me to for his privacy but I bought the largest I could find, shall I try a second open tray? The litter does clump nicely and is very easy to scoop. Both doings were from the last twelve hours and the poo definitely overnight, but it was in the middle so would have been difficult for him to avoid! I may need to scoop before I make his lordship breakfast in future. :tired:
Lulu's Catbook

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
 :rofl: Stuart

I find with a hooded tray I dont tend to take as much notice when it needs cleaning, out of sight.....  :innocent:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:24:03 AM »
I used to have a hooded tray, but I personally don't think they are that great an idea  :doh:
I was lucky with Hamish and Misty cause they would both use the same tray with no Problem

then One day I heard a noise from the cupboard where I kept the bag of Litter, and there sitting in the bag
was Misty " taking a dump " :shocked:
I did ask Him what the ell was He doing ?? but He did not answer, and just looked at me nonchalantly  :innocent: :evillaugh:

I went and checked the Litter tray and there were 2 wee's and 2 poohs  :doh: I immediately cleaned out tray and everything was fine
after that ( I also got rid of the hood so I could see when it was needing cleaned out )

that same day I also discovered someone had weed on my work clothes ( probably Hamish )

anyway, I would get rid of the Hood, " so you can see when it's needing cleaned " and does the cat litter you use Clump ?? I used
the same Litter for Olivia that she was used to, but it did not Clump, I have since changed it to clumping stuff and the trays now a doddle to clean  ;)

hope this helps
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »
I am sure you are right that he didn't like the smell :sick: Noah has since done a wee in the tray as normal so I have cleaned it. He came to wake me twice this morning and I thought he wanted breakfast, but now I am wondering if he wanted me to scoop the tray!

I don't mind having a second litter tray, but trying to work out where there is a suitable corner ... he needs a large tray as he is a big cat and, being a flat, the bathroom is pretty 'compact'! There is more space in the hall but it's not at all private.

Lulu's Catbook

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:52:10 AM »
When one of mine poops beside the tray it usually means its too "smelly' for their liking  :snooty:

And when they are out the back drying, from being washed, they usually wait till I bring them back in. Then there is a que for the toilet  :evillaugh:

Maybe you could put another tray in the bathroom? and this could give him somewhere else to go if he feels tray no1 is not to his standards  :)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
My First Out-of-tray Experience!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:26:34 AM »
I think I know the answer to this but any other thoughts welcome!

I normally clean Noah's litter tray once a day when he has done one of each, sometimes I do it twice a day. Still using the OkoPlus litter and a hooded tray same as he had in his foster home. He has used his tray fine from day one; in his foster home they tried him with a door and he wouldn't used the tray, held on instead, so no door on his tray here.

This morning got up to feed Noah, and he went straight to the tray after. Seemed not to like what he saw/ smelled so crouched next to it, I went to scoop the tray as quick as I could and he wee'd on my coat!! >:( I made him stop but obviously haven't told him off, I can't put him in the tray without shoving him through the doorway, or taking the lid off and he would be scared of both. Noah is purring next to me now: coat is in the washing machine!!

Do I need a second tray? What was in the tray he'd done overnight so I'm not guilty of being lazy ... Noah is a good digger and there is plenty of litter in a deep tray but the last couple of days he hasn't buried poo properly for some reason, although it isn't stinky to me it probably is to him. Possibly the entire tray needs a clean, but I am a bit scared to leave him without a tray!
Lulu's Catbook

Link to CatChat