Author Topic: Cat Food  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Cat Food
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 16:58:02 PM »
Really Helen! Must be so strange not having your sense of smell, I know a women who had no smell or taste senses.. very strange  :shify:
My Mum stopped smoking about 3 years ago and her sense of smell especially of smoke is really sensitive!

Sarah x

I've got a very limited taste sensation, I can tell if something is salty, sour or sweet etc but can't say what things taste of.  It's heartbreaking for me as I really love my food, I still eat it to excess but doesn't really taste of anything anymore :'(

That must be terrible, not to be able to smell a new mown lawn, fresh ground coffee, fresh baked bread, sorry don't mean to rub it in, I feel for you. Mind you that may help me in my slimming if I could not smell food.

I get this all the time, other people saying 'Ooh, that smells nice', it could be cow pat for all I know!

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »
I can't smell anything whatsoever and it's been gone

That must be terrible, not to be able to smell a new mown lawn, fresh ground coffee, fresh baked bread, sorry don't mean to rub it in, I feel for you. Mind you that may help me in my slimming if I could not smell food.

Hahahahaha!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 08:32:15 AM »
I can't smell anything whatsoever and it's been gone

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 08:17:31 AM »
I've heard a lot of people say that when they stop smoking they smell everything else really well!

Well I gave up smoking and lost my sense of smell completely,I can't smell anything whatsoever and it's been gone 3 years now - I want it back!

Really Helen! Must be so strange not having your sense of smell, I know a women who had no smell or taste senses.. very strange  :shify:
My Mum stopped smoking about 3 years ago and her sense of smell especially of smoke is really sensitive!

Sarah x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 21:48:52 PM »
The problem is, he is eating roast chicken every day and often some fish so only eats 1 or 2 pouches of wet so I thought it should be complete - although if he really won't eat, I will give him the hi-life. It seems once he has eaten something, there is a chance he will go back to a previously rejected meal  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 21:01:20 PM »
MArk, you could feed him some HiLife as long as he is having some complete cat food that day too - I used to give them complete cat food for two meals, then they would have half a pouch of HiLife for their supper, and there wasn't any issues from it - if he has had cystitis issues, I wouldnt' give him too much of the fishy HiLife though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 17:55:24 PM »
I've heard a lot of people say that when they stop smoking they smell everything else really well!

Well I gave up smoking and lost my sense of smell completely,I can't smell anything whatsoever and it's been gone 3 years now - I want it back!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 17:53:59 PM »
I tried Nature's menu and none of mine would eat any of the flavours - I ended up giving it to my neighbour for her cat ^gershwin^ and he loved it. Clapton loves Hi-life sachets but they are only complementary food. As he's on chicken, fish and senior. I need to make sure he gets his vitamins from the catfood. I have tried so many different ones and end up going back to Whiskas as it gets eaten. I tried the fish Bozita as my local petshop sells it (about £1.40 a carton!) but it wasn't eaten. It looked really good as you could see the chunks of fish (and skin  :sick:) in the jelly.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 17:19:53 PM »
It was a TUNA one hahahaha!

xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 17:16:10 PM »
Natures menu is definately a strong meaty aroma but i find whiskas more repulsive   :sick: :sick:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 17:12:08 PM »
Was it the fishy hi life ones?  They are smelly!  I don't find the others particularly smelly but maybe that's just because I'm used to them.  Hi life and natures menu do smell more than the likes of felix and whiskas because of the high meat content - they smell meaty!  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 17:09:05 PM »
Most cat foods I've tried them on are not too bad, but HiLife was defo the worst smelling, even the OH was asking what the  :censored: I was cooking hahahahaha

Sarah x

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 16:59:29 PM »
Im so glad someone else thinks its smells. I never used to think cat food smelt much but since Ive stopped smoking my bin stinks! :sick:
love
Tab

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 15:16:49 PM »
I also tried hi life, Mogs loved it but then she eats anything I put down, Amber walked away and OMG does it smell! I have to chute the bin bags imediately as I cant cope with the smell lol
love
Tab

Hahahah I tried HiLife last night, it was the smelliest food ever hahahaha, but the kitys LOVED it.

I've ordered Applaws and Natures Menu for them :D
Thanks for your advice everyone

Sarah x

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 15:04:36 PM »
I must admit I find the food issue hard as well. My cats love felix, I tried to get them onto senior but then found it was the same meat content but Amber was sick after it. She gulps the gravy/jelly then bounces it. I put them back on felix and now she wont eat breakfast but eats tea and supper. I changed the gravy/jelly meals round and she started throwing up breakfast again so we're back to the original food which works. I also tried hi life, Mogs loved it but then she eats anything I put down, Amber walked away and OMG does it smell! I have to chute the bin bags imediately as I cant cope with the smell lol
I'll have a look at natures menu next time Im in PAH
love
Tab

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 22:02:09 PM »
It was £13.17 the last time I bought some too but that was a few weeks ago now so maybe it's gone up.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 21:56:58 PM »
I bought some just before I lost Tiggy - it was still £13.17 then.  Maybe it's a regional difference then?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 21:25:56 PM »
Helen - the NAtures MEnu has gone up in PAH , I paid £16 ish for it about a month ago. Still cheaper than Tesco, although only 10p a box and I prob spent more in petrol and all the other bits I treated them to!! Mine get Natures Menu, HiLife and Perfect Fit (latter doesn't have a great meat content, but has a high fibre content, which Molly needs). The girls are dry food junkies though!! I am lucky that I Can swap and change brands with no real issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 20:23:51 PM »
If your newbie is only 8 weeks then i would stick to what ever his current owner is feeding him for the time being. Upset tums in kittens can be difficult to stop  :)

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 18:40:15 PM »
although my cats often have treats such as tuna in spring water from m&s
and chciken and ham and cat temptation treats
and highlife once a week
the rest of the time they have asda tiger food and kitekat food plus dry food
i dont have 1 fussy cat here
they all eat what they r given  ;D ;D ;D ;D
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 18:31:32 PM »
Tiggy ate Gourmet Pearl (McDonalds for cats) which despite being branded a 'premium' food is only 4% meat.  She was a real fuss pot but started eating Natures Menu with no problems at all, I used to give her 1/2 and 1/2 between those two brands.

The Natures Menu is 70% meat and the multipacks (4 x 12 packs) are only £13.17 from Pets at Home so costwise actually works out the same as the likes of Whiskas and Felix etc  They sell the pouches individually so you can see if they like it before you buy in bulk.  The kitten version only comes in one flavour though, can't remember what flavour but it's in a pink pack, I bought some for Tiggy once by mistake (she was 18) but she gobbled that up too.

She tried Applaws too and ADORED it, for me it's too expensive to feed regularly so it was more a special treat for her but she was very fond of the chicken and cheese.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 18:11:42 PM »
One point for Sarah - as a few of us on here can attest, some cats have very determined views about what they will or won't eat, so be prepared to send a few 'trials' to a deserving rescue  ;)
So everyone tells me but I've made it quite clear to my 2 that they'll eat what they're given and so far they're playing by the rules  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 18:05:24 PM »
I think I'll try Zooplus for Almo Nature (which Blip likes).

One point for Sarah - as a few of us on here can attest, some cats have very determined views about what they will or won't eat, so be prepared to send a few 'trials' to a deserving rescue  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 17:34:09 PM »
I think it's fine to chop and change, esp with wet food (which is about 80% water) although it will depend on the individual cat.  A cat with a delicate digestive system might need to change from one to another gradually but mine are both fine having 3 different foods in 1 day.  I actually think it's the best way to make sure they get all the nutrients they need.  The hi life pouches and the applaws are complementary foods too so they need to be fed in conjunction with something else.

Sometimes very young ones have sensitive tummies (with both Jaffa and Mosi I was told that kitten food was too rich for them and they were being fed on adult food but I got them both onto kitten eventually) so the 8 week old one might need to have any change over done carefully.  Mosi had the almo nature kitten one a lot when he was younger and loved it.

You can buy the applaws in bulk from their website.  They go around a lot of the cat shows too and you can often get special offers there.

http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Applaws.html

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 17:26:32 PM »
Susanne do you think it's ok to mix and match with what I feed them? They're both 8 months, so it would still be the ktten versions, and my new kitty who's coming on Saturday is very young too, 8 weeks.

Sarah x

P.S - The Applaws looks good, do they do it anywhere in mulitpacks though?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 17:20:53 PM »
Mine are fed mainly on natures menu, hi life, bozita and applaws/almo nature (very similar) wet food.  I also feed a few others such as nutro, cosma, animonda etc.  Natures menu and hi life are readily available in supermarkets and pet shops but I buy the bozita, almo nature and other stuff from zooplus, although I bought a load of applaws at the supreme cat show last November and am still working through that.  You can get applaws and almo nature from pet shops - I've found both in shops near me - but usually small ones rather than pets at home etc.  The bozita is very economical as iirc it's only about 17p per 100g (comes in 380g cartons) and has a high meat content.  Not seen that in any shops though, only online

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches

Mosi has a small amount of James Wellbeloved dry but Jaffa's on all wet, except for a few kibbles sprinkled onto his morning wet.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 17:10:09 PM »
Whiskas is 4% derivitives  :sick:
Hills is higher but i have issues with their animal testing.   :sick: :sick: :censored:

I would suggest you look into these:
natures menu
hi life
eaglepack
bozita
applaws
almo nature

• Super Cat
Cat Food
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 16:54:13 PM »
I've been having a think about food.
Through reading posts on here I realise that wet food with a higher meat content is better.
Since I got my two, I have fed them whiskas kitten wet, and dry. Wet in the morning, some dry during the day, wet in the evening and then some more dry at night.

I'm not sure of the meat content, (can't be bothered getting off my lazy bum for a look at the moment) but I've been thinking about changing them onto somthing which may benefit them more.
I know when the had their kitten check up, the vet recommended Hills, but I wasn't keen on giving them only dry food. I'm lucky that my two aren't fussy, but they enjoy their meat.

Also with the new kitty coming on Saturday, I'd rather start him off as I mean to go on..

So could I get some general opinions on what everyone else uses, what's best for them etc?

Thanks guys

Sarah x

Link to CatChat