Author Topic: Stopping stalking behaviour?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: Stopping stalking behaviour?
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 21:41:28 PM »
I can't help to tell you how to stop the stalking, but I do have a house bunny. There is no way I can safely have him and my cat out together in the same room without me being eagle eyed and getting inbetween them. It does depend on the cat/personality whether it would work and in my case it is a no go. My cats hunting instincts are too strong and my bun doesn't really like him. Blood would be shed.

Personally just based on the behaviour of my two I would never risk having a cat and rabbit out together if the cat is showing strong hunting instincts and won't ignore the buns.

Do you still let your bun out 'freerange' with the cat aroudn when you are there though?

Nope, I can't. My cat becomes too fixated and my bun would chase the cat if given half the chance. My bun has his own room which is cat free, when I let him out in the rest of the house I have to either hang on to the cat or put him (cat) in a different part of the house. They are never loose together.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 21:30:33 PM »
I can't help to tell you how to stop the stalking, but I do have a house bunny. There is no way I can safely have him and my cat out together in the same room without me being eagle eyed and getting inbetween them. It does depend on the cat/personality whether it would work and in my case it is a no go. My cats hunting instincts are too strong and my bun doesn't really like him. Blood would be shed.

Personally just based on the behaviour of my two I would never risk having a cat and rabbit out together if the cat is showing strong hunting instincts and won't ignore the buns.

Do you still let your bun out 'freerange' with the cat aroudn when you are there though?
www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk

Owned by 7 rabbits and a 2 cats

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 20:29:51 PM »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 19:53:07 PM »
I have thought about getting another cat but OH is saying no.

Do you think she would hurt them at all?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 15:25:08 PM »
My cats stalk each other in play, so maybe she is looking for a pal?  :sneaky:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 22:46:32 PM »
There are other members here with both bunnies and cats who, I am sure, can give better advice than I could.

I would only add that stalking is natural for all cats, so it might be difficult to stop it, but maybe finding a way to have the behaviour diverted to something else so that the bunnies are not attractive to her. How, I don't know, so hopefully someone else will come on who can be more practical with advice.

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
Stopping stalking behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 22:42:07 PM »
Hi guys

Can anyone give me any tips how to stop this behaviour?

I have 2 house bunnies and Fifi has now taken to stalking them and i really need to stop this, i am worried she will hurt one of them. I don't feel i can leave them for even a second together and its becoming a nightmare. At the moment i am shutting the buns in my OH office when i cannot watch Fifi 24/7 (like when cooking dinner or even nipping to the loo) and its really not fair on them, they used to free range the house when i was home and could be trusted on thier own when i am doing things but i am keeping them in their playpen at the moment as she even stalks them when in there.

I keep telling her no firmly and shooing her away but as soon as i turn she is back doing it again, i really want them to all be safe and happy with each other

Link to CatChat