Author Topic: Which glucosamine supplement?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Which glucosamine supplement?
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 19:01:03 PM »
Cortaflex is the bees knees, have seen it do wonders in horses, HCl is more easily used by the body so thats what makes it better   ;D

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 21:35:05 PM »
Another vote for fish oils - the active constituent of cod liver oil is omega 3, but there is a far higher concentration in fish body oil than cod liver oil.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 20:41:08 PM »
I think too much vitamin A depletes the vitamin E which is one of the really important vitamins for cats. I think it is the way a lot of things work in synergy such as calcium/Phosphorus.

Fish oil (from Holland & Barrett etc) is good stuff - they have a BOGOHP offer throughout the store right now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 20:43:38 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 20:31:11 PM »
As far as I know excess vitamin A from Cod Liver Oil or liver can be toxic to cats
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 20:27:13 PM »
Am sure i read that cats shouldnt have fish liver oils but can't remember where. I have used quite a few supplements, but Molly is incredibly fussy, think there was only the Arthri-Aid we got to use for any length of time.
Please spay your cat

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 19:40:32 PM »
Thankies!

Please excuse my ignorance - why is it important to go for HCL rather than sulphate?  Also, the cortaflex seems to be component parts of glucosamine which it says are more easily absorbed so the body can make its own...does this mean it's HCL, sulphate, or neither  :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 19:01:08 PM »
I read there is a difference between the glucosamine for bladders and for joints so would always go for the appropriate product.
Cosequin is what i used and find the fussiest of eaters will consume it without noticing  ;D
With glucosamine its important to get the hydrochloride version not the sulphate version which is the much cheaper one  ;)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »
Thanks so much Christine!

I think I'd worry about the vitamin A content in Cod Liver Oil - it's a fat soluble vitamin so wouldn't it accumulate in the liver, I think I'd worry about the long-term impact of that.  Not really sure though, so interested to hear more too  :wow:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:28:09 AM by fluffybunny »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
I'll pop the capsule in the post on Monday, fluffybunny.  I don't know what's in the urinary tract mendications but I imagine they may conatin other active ingredients besides glucosamine.  But I reiterate, I don't know.

I've been wondering about cod liver oil, bonnielass.  Does anyone else have good experience of this for those of us with arthritic cats?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »
Thanks all - yes I can pill her, but in the long term I think it would be far less stressful if I can sneak something in her food!

Christine - that would be fantastic if you wouldn't mind - I'll pm you my address, thanks  :wow:  Milly seems to have gained a new lease of life since starting the metacam, yesterday she was legging it around the garden like a kitten  :Crazy:  Vet says it's still very mild and we've caught it early...but she said that's what she expects from me...I'm not sure if that's a compliment or a recognition of a paranoid owner  :rofl:

Incidentally - is there any difference in the glucosamine in things like cystease, which is badged as being for urinary tract problems, as opposed to some of the other glucosamine products which are sold badged for arthritis?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:02:06 AM by fluffybunny »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »
my vet insists that cystease and cystaid are pretty much the same thing (one is more expensive than the other). cystease capsules are size 2 (I think). Can you pill her? It may be easier than trying to get her to eat it in her food. Poor Milly, hope she's keeping warm  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 23:02:56 PM »
I used to use Synoquin but have also found that a drop of cod liver oil is just as good both George and Eddie (my two oldies ) have a bit in their food every day and its done wonders for them and their coats :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 20:11:04 PM »
I'm assured that Cortaflex liquid is generally well-accepted but Blip - who is also very picky about what's in her food - won't take it.  However she happily eats Cosequin powder (from capsules) mixed into her (wet food) breakfast.

I can send you a Cosequin capsule in the post, if you want to try it?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Which glucosamine supplement?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 20:04:13 PM »
My beloved monster Milly has just been diagnosed with mild arthritis in the spine...the vet has told me to start giving her a glucosamine supplement, but the question is - which one?  There are so many out there, where do you start  :Crazy:  Would ideally like something palatable as she's a pretty fussy eater and can spot a tablet in her food at 50 sniffs!

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received. Thanks :wow:

Link to CatChat