Author Topic: Detering OTHER PEOPLES cats....  (Read 5131 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Detering OTHER PEOPLES cats....
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 17:05:06 PM »
Sadly, the local CP advisor in the shop said the same. The RSPCA is the only avenue left.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »
Called CP HQ as suggested - they said all they can suggest is calling the local RSPCA and reporting him as neglected. I said I'd rather not as on the whole I don't agree with there ethics and asked if they could stipulate the current "owner" had to get a cat flap fitted. The lady said "you'd have to talk to your local branch about that." :tired:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 16:53:29 PM »
I don't know exactly who else he visits, CC. But I'm sure they're just as happy about this mans response when they told him....

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 08:27:15 AM »
To be honest I think if a stray knows where to find food, they will keep calling  :shy: I know he's not stray but might aswell be  >:(

Have you spoken to anyone else who's house he vistis? Maybe they could get on cp's back aswell.  :sneaky:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2009, 19:53:55 PM »
It would be unlikely to force a petporte  ;D

Was going to get a Sureflap, but having looked at the measurements that Baggy posted (14.5 x 14cm hole....whose cat is that small?! Certainly not ours....) might have to rethink. What are the measurements on a PetPorte?

Firefox, not really. For starters we have a young kitten here and it's advised to allow access to food all day if possible. Not to mention the fact that it would mean my cats whole routine is being changed due to someone elses ineptitude.

I'm seething quietly about this; we've lived here ten years and never had this problem before. Even when an actual stray used to visit and let himself in a couple of times.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2009, 18:21:43 PM »
I know it's not ideal and I don't know your lifestyle but ... are you able to only put cat food down at set meal times? Barricade the cat flap for half an hour while your brood all eat in peace, lift whatever remains so you have cut off the supply of free food (and saved money): hopefully after a while the intruder will stop bothering.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2009, 18:09:28 PM »
It would be unlikely to force a petporte  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 16:17:35 PM »
The man is an idiot, and I'm no longer discussing this particular issue with my partner who reached boiling point about it today. (Understandably so, we're a low income household and I pay for all the cat food because the cats are more mine than his. He does help out when I'm short but I rarely ask. The man in question however, I'm under the impression is in a well paid job, and could easily afford to have a bit of food go astray from an outdoor shelter.)

I refuse to let some idiot cause disruptions in my home life due to his (sorry local CP, but it's my opinion) negligence where the care of his cat is concerned. >:(

The cat is friendly, and I'm under the impression not only does it chance houses for food but also attention....he only runs away if you squirt him otherwise he sits looking at you waiting for a fuss. :(

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 14:45:52 PM »
I dont see why people should have to invest in something to keep others cats out  >:( So if this cat is going to 4 other homes, there's a £100  people would be spending on this cat, not on!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 14:28:23 PM »
Well, I popped out and when I got back my partner said "we've got a prisoner...." Unfortunately, we didn't have a clue what to do and the cat bolted through my legs as I was setting up the room so we could figure out a plan of action. After all, I'm assuming it's effectively stealing if the CP have said things are OK within his home environment.

My partner asked what I'd do if the cat forced the microchip cat flap, and I said I'd get the police involved for criminal damage. After all,the man has entered into conversations about this and I have his number listed in my phone (Under ******s owner) so it would be obvious that it was ongoing.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 22:40:50 PM »
Grr! I dont like the attitude of this man JS, he is being so patronising and passing the buck when this is his responsibility!  >:( :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 21:33:38 PM »
You would think as its an ex cp cat they would try to speak to the bloke but there you go  :innocent:
they cant force people to fit a flap and if they are at home they wouldnt have required one as technically he can let the cat in and out

They have spoken to him; and visited. Because the cat looks healthy (hardly surprising, mine isn't the only house he visits the man quite happily informed me....) they can't do anything. And he isn't always around to let the cat in, he works and is sometimes away from home so his lodger "looks after" his cat and dog.....(I've put that in brackets because if his levels of care are anything to go by I dread to think how the lodger is!)

I'm still fuming the man felt it acceptable to say I "should invest in an electromagnetic cat flap, they're only around £20." Like he thought I was the only one that should be taking decisive action. He then asked if I'd tried to deter his cat - well, obviously!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:57:10 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 18:46:47 PM »
You would think as its an ex cp cat they would try to speak to the bloke but there you go  :innocent:
they cant force people to fit a flap and if they are at home they wouldnt have required one as technically he can let the cat in and out, its a shame they wont mediate and save JS the cost of a fancy flap

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 12:06:57 PM »
its all down to crappy owners not providing for their animals  >:(

You think the cp would be more concerned about this  :Crazy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 17:37:25 PM »
I agree. I can't believe he tried to pass the buck and say it was my fault for making the access too easy for his cat to get to the food! And to just decide something wouldn't work rather than trying it....what a tightwad!

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the local CP for not insisting he gets a cat flap if the cat is being allowed to be indoor/outdoor or threatening to take the cat back in.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 14:59:51 PM »
Theres just no way of stopping them  :tired: if a cat feels your home is better than what they have thats that! Iv tried to repel the 3 main offenders round here with no luck so know how you feel, its all down to crappy owners not providing for their animals  >:(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 14:20:59 PM »
MM, am in the process of saving for a microchip cat flap, but have to rechip Mog as well..... :tired:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 13:18:46 PM »
If the cat is chipped then he will be back before you know it so taking him elsewhere isnt going to achieve anything.
As the owner is a loser and wont help the situation then you have no option but to get yourself a fancy flap and stop him getting in that way, its not fair you have to shell out but you will save on your food bill ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 11:45:36 AM »
CC, I've been in touch more than once. The lady I spoke to informs me there's nothing more they can do. I'll keep a diary but I'm not sure how it will help matters if they consider the situation "case closed." I'm not sure it was a brilliant idea rehoming an ex-stray in an area that has a large cat population - it's not just my house he goes in to the man admitted it. And my cousin has seen this cat beating the heck out of a cat on its own garden before now....I think this boy would definitely be more suited to rural surroundings with space to roam.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 11:40:56 AM »
Keep a diary and present it to them, also if you can take photos of the cat in your home (with a mobile)- the pics will have a time and date on them  ;) just something to back you up  :)

You would think they would be more interested  :Crazy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »
I have phoned them CC, they sent someone round. Because the cat in question looks healthy and the man is lying about shutting him out (the man seems to think I specified at night; I didn't. I don't agree with shutting a cat outside at all unless adequate shelter is provided.) there's nothing they can do, apparently. I personally would've thought he was violating his agreement by letting the cat out and visibly having no means for the cat to get in again but what do I know?

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 11:15:30 AM »
I would phone the cp yourself jack and explain the situation, I dont think they would like the thought of the cat being outdoors all hours and especially not getting fed by its owner  :shocked:

Maybe they would take the cat back  :sneaky:

Keep a diary of every visit the cat makes  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 09:50:17 AM »
A dog works wonders. Whenever we get a strange cat exploring our garden, we send Emma (mrs police woman) outside, away is the cat  :naughty:

Not going to happen for two reasons (a) my cats don't like dogs and (b) I couldn't afford to feed any more animals - although the cat in question has yet to realise this. :tired:

Thanks Clare, I feel my only option is to shut the cat in and take it to a rescue now - obviously I'd rather not, but he won't even try and of the suggestions because he doesn't think they work. (Typical, he can't possibly know but isn't prepared to try.)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 09:14:54 AM »
How frustrating for you JS, I can see why you're getting annoyed with this stupid man  :hug:

I hope you manage to resolve this one way or another  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 07:27:49 AM »
A dog works wonders. Whenever we get a strange cat exploring our garden, we send Emma (mrs police woman) outside, away is the cat  :naughty:
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 22:25:54 PM »
:shify: isn't it CP policy not to home an outdoor cat unless its owners have a flap?

They've already been in touch with him and been to see the cat. Because the cat is in good health (hardly surprising the amount of food he eats here) there's nothing they can do. :tired:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 21:47:21 PM »
:shify: isn't it CP policy not to home an outdoor cat unless its owners have a flap?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 21:43:30 PM »
Very good solution methinks!  :sneaky: ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 21:39:10 PM »
He's a CP rehome, so I'd assume so. I did say to the man the next time his cat comes in I'm intending to contain him and resolve the issue another way. Which I hope he understood to mean "your cat will be taken to a rescue the next time he visits us and then you'll have to put your hand in your pocket, and it'll cost more than a cat flap!"

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 19:33:18 PM »
I wonder if the cat is chipped? Its obviously not being cared for!  :sneaky: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 19:31:00 PM »
Bit angry, yes. Especially seeing as the last time the cat caused trouble he took off the safety release collar Jack was wearing during a set to; basically that would mean a magnetic cat flap would be useless anyway.....

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 19:29:31 PM »
I have no idea what to do as I've spoken to this man and suggested a shelter with food. His response? "...but other peoples cats will eat the food." :tired: What does he think his cat is here?

I get that response when I broach the idea of putting up a shelter with food for ginger stray in our garden.  

We are cat flap free I'm afraid so no idea how to stop unwanted guests other than by locking it shut.  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 19:21:13 PM »
OMG!!! I bet you are fuming!  :tired:

Im sorry but I would be horrified to think my cats were eating elsewhere!  >:( :hug: :hug:

Dont know what your gonna do....  :tired:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 19:17:49 PM »
Un  :censored: believable.

Just called and the man answered - I asked if he'd made any changes to the situation to see if his cat would stop like a shelter or flap. "No" he responds "because I don't think it would make any difference." When I asked why, he informs me it's my fault for giving his cat easy access to food and I should "invest in a magnetic cat flap......" :tired:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 19:13:58 PM »
You "go for it" girl!  ;) :hug:

Some people are just so lax, I remember years ago having a neighbour like this....her 3yr old son was using a real saw on my fence, I went and told her and this stupid voice said "Adam, would you stop doing that" ARGH!!! I was more concerned about him having the saw and not my fence!  :Crazy:

Best of luck!  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 19:09:37 PM »
I've called him. I think I'll call now and if I have no joy maybe brave a doorstep visit tomorrow.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 18:59:02 PM »
Grr! Not about the cat @ his owner!  :tired:

Surely another cat would not eat his food, I mean if he is willing to come into yours and eat then cause chaos Im sure he could fend other's off his own food!  :shocked:

I think another visit to this man is in order!  ;) :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 18:44:38 PM »
Yes I do. He's a CP cat that lives on the road behind us, and is an ex stray, so I do understand the "get it where it is" mentality will be present. But the man who has him has no outdoor shelter supplying this cat with food; nor does he have a cat flap. I have no idea what to do as I've spoken to this man and suggested a shelter with food. His response? "...but other peoples cats will eat the food." :tired: What does he think his cat is here?

I genuinely feel for the cat but am seriously losing my patience as it makes Astryd very unhappy when he "visits."

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 18:41:56 PM »
Where is he coming from JS, do you know? Is he neutered? Argh sounds a right mare!  :tired: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Detering OTHER PEOPLES cats....
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 18:39:29 PM »
This has been ongoing for some time now and we've tried loud noises, spraying the cat with water and putting "scare cats" in the garden to deter him from coming in to the garden.

None of it's worked, he still comes into the house eats all four bowls of meat and then acts up towards our cats. HELP!

Link to CatChat