Author Topic: Cat Dragging Bum Across Floor - Worms ?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat Dragging Bum Across Floor - Worms ?
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 11:34:27 AM »
She can walk past now without you holding your nose  :rofl:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 19:53:48 PM »
Great news  ;D I've always tended to look in the opposite direction whilst Mrs vet did the deed  :evillaugh:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 19:30:06 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for your replies everyone.

Update:
She has been to the vets and the anal glands were indeed the issue. The vet "popped" the glands whereupon they exuded a yellowish brown supurating canker like fluid in abundance. On returning home after her mandatory sniff and lick she galloped off down the garden to do battle with the local gang of magpies and is one happly cat again.

Thx & Rgds

I have never seen this done and had always imagined the scenario.....Now I feel like I were in the room with you!  :yuk: :rofl:

Glad she is feeling much better and at battle with the locals!  ;) :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 19:26:40 PM »
Wonderful  ;D

Offline moongirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 19:25:59 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for your replies everyone.

Update:
She has been to the vets and the anal glands were indeed the issue. The vet "popped" the glands whereupon they exuded a yellowish brown supurating canker like fluid in abundance. On returning home after her mandatory sniff and lick she galloped off down the garden to do battle with the local gang of magpies and is one happly cat again.

Thx & Rgds
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 19:26:41 PM by moongirl »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 15:54:01 PM »
Another "vote" for blocked anal glands here. 

I think you are definitely more on top of the flea treatment/worming regime than me and would be surprised if her problem was worms.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 04:39:18 AM »
With dogs dragging their bums along the floor it's usually blocked anal glands, maybe cats are the same?

Yes!  ;D But most peeps think this action is because of worms!  :shocked:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 18:50:47 PM »
Agree it sounds like anal glands, its easy to empty them so ask your vet for a demo but do stand to one side when your observing  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 18:46:29 PM »
I would get her to a vets tomorrow cos she has some kind of back passage problem, I think.

They do this to part clean them selves or try to get things to work and anal glands could be the reason but a vet check necessary.

No I dont think worms and anal glands easy for the vet to sort out.......you dont need her getting worse and you have seen the symptoms  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 18:43:51 PM »
Schui used to scoot when his anal gland were impacted and needed expressing, infact Byron has been doing it for a few days so I'm booking her in this week.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 18:41:58 PM »
With dogs dragging their bums along the floor it's usually blocked anal glands, maybe cats are the same?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline moongirl

• Adult Cat
Cat Dragging Bum Across Floor - Worms ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 18:36:14 PM »
Hi,

Our cat has recently taken to dragging her bum across the floor by pulling with her 2 front legs. My initial thought was that she may have some worms, however, over the past 9 months she has had 1/2 Drontal, 1 Milbemax, 1 Drontal in that order, with her last Drontal just over a week ago.

She did the dragging thing yesterday, ie, 1 week after a Drontal tablet. Is there the possibility that the Drontal is not working or would there be some other reason for her doing the cat equivalent of a "moon walk". She was neutered 6 months ago so I assume it cannot be related to any "season" type effects.

She is regularly "Front Lined", but we did actualy miss a month out with her Front Line just through forgetting. The only other thing I can think of is that the Milbemax which was the middle of her worming treatments about 3 months ago may not have worked due to her not eating all of it (concealed in food).

The last Drontal tablet was a "2 Hand Job" with my O/H holding her and me "poppin the pill". We know she took it as I syringed a bit of milk into her mouth and she swallowed the lot and before she ran off grumbling we kept her in the room for 5 minutes to make sure she did not cough it up.

I know that I should get a stool sample and chop it up to look for worms but she always "goes" outside and never uses her litter tray which makes it a bit more difficult. However, that is my next plan of action, but if anyone has some ideas in the meanwhile I would be most grateful.

Regards

Link to CatChat