Author Topic: Fleas and frontline  (Read 8719 times)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Re: Fleas and frontline
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 22:15:43 PM »
Sounds like changing to stronghold would be a good idea.

One tip if your kitties hate the spot on type of treatments is to warm it up before you put it on. I put mine in my pocket (or in my bra :shy:) to warm it up before I put it on them and they don't seem to complain about it so much and don't wriggle away :) As you can imagine it probaby isn't nice to have cold liquid dropped on you!

ive just tried this and so much less drama! Fantastic idea starpixie, id never have thought of that  :doh:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 18:16:33 PM »

I had even had a heat light with a sticky pad going it was so bad  :rofl:

yep got one of them, im worried its a fire hazard tho so its only on when i can watch it so its probably just attracting the fleas to me!

i dont think its the spray, i think during the week i couldnt do everywhere in one go and trying to do it quickly possible missed the hot spots. tday should have been better although still got some washing to do, the cats really do have too many beds

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 18:06:29 PM »
Maybe RIP fleas is not as good as the others!

I had a massive infection in London, front room, hall and bedroom and had tried everything from shops but what the vet gave me stopped it completely and never had a flea again.

I had even had a heat light with a sticky pad going it was so bad  :rofl:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 17:01:30 PM »
Have the critters gone yet?

cant be sure but theyre certainly reduced, ive had a few bites so ive re-hoovered and resprayed today. the instructions on this stuff states to open the windows remove all pets and keep them and you out of the house for a full hour after spraying, so i wasnt able to do the whole house after work at once. plus the cats are allowed everywhere inc cupboards and wardrobes so ive been washing everything :tired: im rethinking this full access policy!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
Fleas, sand flies, mozzies etc etc all love me  :-:  Cat fleas certainly nip me

Me too! I could be sat in a room full of people and they home in on me!  :sick:

ooh anything bites me, infact I'm itching just reading this thread  :rofl:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 12:37:36 PM »
What did you spray with, not all sprays deal with all stages so possible you have the last hatching out and you will see them before they die! Get that last cat quick before more arrive!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 02:06:00 AM »

Me too! I could be sat in a room full of people and they home in on me!  :sick:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 22:42:21 PM »

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 20:40:52 PM »
We had a plague of fleas once ... Hubby didnt appear to get bitten at all where I was covered in bites. Vet said apparently we all get bitten by them but some of us are allergic to the bites and some of us arent   :Crazy:
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 20:04:39 PM »
i didt think that cat fleas bit humans.....i had a plague of them after kocka arrived but i was never bitten

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 19:35:32 PM »
Know that was meant for Snarf MM but they haven't gone from here yet  :innocent:  I sprayed entire house by end of play on Sunday and applied the Effipro to 5 of 6 cats this morning.  I've had a new ankle bite today and my birthday bed socks are really irritating it  >:(  Why am I the only one scratching though?   :shify:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 11:38:12 AM »
Have the critters gone yet?

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 20:12:03 PM »

Happy hoovering and spraying!  :naughty:

have i mentioned that i *hate* hoovering  >:(

thanks for the info on the tablets, il have a looksee

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 19:31:05 PM »
Would never normally recommend anything of the 'petshop variety' but Johnsons 4fleas tablets are apparently the same stuff as Capstar and are readily available in petshops.

Info from VetUK: Each tablet contains 11.4mg Nitenpyram - the exact same ingredient as the veterinary product Capstar.

Happy hoovering and spraying!  :naughty:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 18:50:13 PM »
couldnt get in to see the vet which is unusual but i did get to speak to a vet
they dont stock capstar but could get it in if i want
they dont stock indorex or acclaim but theyve reccomended R.I.P fleas. so ive get that- claims to last for 12months and reccomends i dont enter a room ive treated for an hour eep
one vet said not to frontline again before 4 weeks( via the receptionist) the one i caught in the pharmacy said i could but in her opinion they could just be hopping on him and she would treat the house first and see. this seems sensible so ill try this. worst case i can frontline him and treat the house again when due and live with it for a fortnight. treating the house now should hopefully kill enough of them to be bearable!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 16:01:47 PM »
Effipro was actually more expensive on vet uk last time i purchased some frontline  :-:

Must be a special offer on petvetcare.co.uk then.  I've never heard pf Effipro before but they say it's got same active ingredient as Frontline.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 19:07:59 PM »
They should stock it, its other use is flushing out flystrike, kills the maggots  ;D

Iv been battling fleas this year, i dont normally have to treat every 4 weeks but have had to do all 8 every 4 weeks for last 4 months and respray the house. I blame it on the chavs next door, had never had fleas in 5 years til they arrived  :shify: >:(

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 19:05:16 PM »
Effipro was actually more expensive on vet uk last time i purchased some frontline  :-:

If he has that many fleas crawling on him you can ask your vet for capstar aswell as indorex or acclaim for the house, it only works for 24hrs but kills adults fleas in a quarter of an hour  ;D

you  :star1: thats is very interesting and very welcome information! excellent. ill be in that poor vets with a list! :evillaugh: and then death to the fleas!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 18:48:59 PM »

If he has that many fleas crawling on him you can ask your vet for capstar aswell as indorex or acclaim for the house, it only works for 24hrs but kills adults fleas in a quarter of an hour  ;D

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 17:44:44 PM »
Cats like humans can be allergic to anything and my white cat Sasa has no problem with stronghold at all.

You cant by Frontline combo on line without a prescription, the same as stronghold. I thought a change may work better.

Sounds like the spray from the vets is needed quick and also some new flea treatment cos they multuply so quickly and you need to knock them on the head very quickly cos the warmth of central heating will cause the eggs to hatch and the cycle too restart.

Lots of luck but remeber where there is one flea that you see there are most likely many more that you have not!
i know, they seem indestructable! little  :censored: the cat my parents had when i was a child used to like playing with hedgehogs so was forever coming home with them. i remember the lengths mum had to go to! i did everything with shop flea stuff and boil washes for linen etc but that was back when i foolishly thought that shop things worked :tired:

What it says and what you can do are not always the same........check with your vet  :shify:

i will, esp as its lucifer, sparecats so sturdy and she doesnt seem to be affected by anything but lucifers got fleas crawling all over him and hes abit of a pathetic mummys boy.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 17:41:00 PM »
What it says and what you can do are not always the same........check with your vet  :shify:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 17:29:36 PM »

I, along with many others, get my flea stuff from www.vetuk.co.uk (going through a rescue link so they get 5% donated to them). You can also get Frontline and Drontal worming tablets from there too.

As for reapplying, I just checked the leaflet and it says: 'No adverse effects have been seen in cats and kittens aged 8 weeks and older and weighing about 1kg treated with five times the recommended dose for six consequetive months.'

im already buying frontline and drontal from vetuk- and ive got my friends using that link but thank you for names of good sprays, ill get some from the vets hopefully tomorrow and order some in from vet uk.
i looked on the internet before and it said it cant be reapplied in less than 4 weeks??

One tip if your kitties hate the spot on type of treatments is to warm it up before you put it on. I put mine in my pocket (or in my bra :shy:) to warm it up before I put it on them and they don't seem to complain about it so much and don't wriggle away :) As you can imagine it probaby isn't nice to have cold liquid dropped on you!

ive got loads of frontline in so i think ill be giving this a try nest dose!
if that doesnt work ill try stronghold and as theyre both partially white ill keep an eye on them

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 17:20:21 PM »
I've just ordered some new stuff called Effipro from petvetcare.co.uk which they say is pretty much same as frontline but get 4 pipettes for price of 3 frontline pipettes.  Hope it works OK  :shify:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 17:01:23 PM »
I've been bitten on ankle today :shify:  Haven't had a flea bite in yonks but remember well what it's like and it's definitely a flea bite.  Have just sprayed the 2 bedrooms but haven't got any frontline in.  Last treatment was 5 September but mom and the young uns do go a hunting so should have kept on top of this better  :-[

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 16:22:57 PM »
Cats like humans can be allergic to anything and my white cat Sasa has no problem with stronghold at all.

You cant by Frontline combo on line without a prescription, the same as stronghold. I thought a change may work better.

Sounds like the spray from the vets is needed quick and also some new flea treatment cos they multuply so quickly and you need to knock them on the head very quickly cos the warmth of central heating will cause the eggs to hatch and the cycle too restart.

Lots of luck but remeber where there is one flea that you see there are most likely many more that you have not!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 16:16:25 PM »
I know this time it's an 'emergency' but in future you can buy vet strength flea spray online at much better prices than most vets.  The decent ones are Indorex, Acclaim & Staykill - I think they all last for 12 months.  I, along with many others, get my flea stuff from www.vetuk.co.uk (going through a rescue link so they get 5% donated to them). You can also get Frontline and Drontal worming tablets from there too.

As for reapplying, I just checked the leaflet and it says: 'No adverse effects have been seen in cats and kittens aged 8 weeks and older and weighing about 1kg treated with five times the recommended dose for six consequetive months.'

One tip if your kitties hate the spot on type of treatments is to warm it up before you put it on. I put mine in my pocket (or in my bra :shy:) to warm it up before I put it on them and they don't seem to complain about it so much and don't wriggle away :)

Sorry but that made me  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »
One word of warning re Stronghold - I have heard of a few cats that are allergic to it - generally cats with white fur. My Clapton is and it gives him a red scabby area on the application site. I tried Advocate and it did the same thing (I guess it is the same chemical?) - so I have to give him frontline and wormers.

I thought it was just Clapton but have read of a few cats that are allergic to it in which case it should be washed off with a gentle soap ASAP if the skin starts turning pink.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Starpixie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »
Sounds like changing to stronghold would be a good idea.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 00:50:21 AM »

if you have used any from the shops or powder from the shops they dont work!

well thats a waste of hours of my life worrying about the chemicals and the fish then! ( the carpets probably appreciated the obsessive vacuming tho)

looks like a visit to the vet is the best option then (theyre not very good with phone queries) and i can get something for the house that actually works while im there and have a look into stronghold.

at the moment im picking them off lucifer by hand and killing them in nail polish  :-: but he does seem to enjoy me picking through his fur like a monkey  :-[

thanks Gill
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 00:51:35 AM by snarf »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 00:31:07 AM »
Which frontline are you using? Combo is the best.

I would maybe try changing to Stronghold cos maybe they have become resistant to frontline or you are not getting enough on.

In the stronghold its not much liquid so its fairly easy to stroke their necks and part the fur an squirt on quick.

Which house spray have you used, the best are from the vets  and are Acclaim and another I have forfotten the name of.....if you have used any from the shops or powder from the shops they dont work!

IF you got only half the dose on then yes you could give another dose I think but best just to speak with the vet to make sure this is OK.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
Fleas and frontline
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 22:14:26 PM »
well,

due to work nightmares and flu, my 2 cats, lucifer and spare cat, had their frontline a week or so late. and tbh i pnly managed it then because i saw a flea crawling about lucifers face!  :sick: im apparently not attractive to fleas and spare cat has been scratching more than usual so i assume theyre not too interested in her but i can seem to rid them off lucifer-

he hates frontline so its never easy to get enough on his skin rather than his fur and this time he knocked the vial out of my hand so it squirted so i know he didnt have a full dose- more like half-ish. but i didnt want to risk over dosing him.

a week and a half on, the house has been flea sprayed and powdered, im now getting bitten and lucifer isnt scratching as much so i think theyre not feeding on him as much but i still find fleas on him, they crawl around his eyes  :sick:  its almost like theyre using him as a home but eating me. can i re- frontline him before 4 weeks or is that known to be bad? do i need to speak to a vet?
any advice suggestions welcome! its not fun being eaten but what is really getting to me is seeing these parasites crawling all over my babys face :mad2: ive never seen fleas on them before and they only go out a few hours a night, lucifer rarely leaves the garden

Link to CatChat