Author Topic: Human Electric underblanket/ Heated Dog Bed for Cat - Safety?  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:56:44 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: Human Electric underblanket/ Heated Dog Bed for Cat - Safety?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 19:05:41 PM »
They are similar to what i have Millys mum and are on 24/7 all winter and most of summer too !
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 19:06:10 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 14:41:56 PM »
I use these for whoever i have here that dont live indoors
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_325&products_id=1714

I chose these becasue a) BSAVA use them b) are very easy to clean, some beds have fleecy covers that arent easy to wash c) are very low wattage so cheap to run and d) they dont plug straight in the mains like cheaper ones but through a 'converter thingy'.
I think i will be moving one in for gooey, he has a bit of arthritis in one leg so would be a nice luxury for him.
When its chilly i use the heatpads overnight and unplug at breakfast but when winter arrives they are on 24/7, have had no problems with this  ;D i wouldnt trust them with a chewer tho, would need the cable running down some kind of solid tube

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 12:28:22 PM »
Thanks again everyone!

I'm not worried about Noah taking over my bed, it's kingsize and there is just me and him now! If the temperature of the flat was at, say, 15C all night and then a good part of the day would a Flectabed be enough? I rarely use heating in the morning and certainly not if I am on an early/ day shift - there are no timers on the heaters so I am just up and out of the flat. I would not be comfortable leaving a panel heater or my electric blanket on low when I am not here as the thermostat could break, but pet beds are such low voltage/ wattage that they should be safe? Can i use a heated dog bed for a cat?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »
Well, we have a snugglesafe -not used anymore !
Flectabed which is inside a large fleecy igloo -Winston uses this a lot especially in winter.
The rest have the whelping pads with a fleecy blanket over them inside cat beds -all plugged in continuously and they are the preferred thing here - slept in all day especially by Smartie and FiFi .
Also have one of the companion beds which are ok but as Mark says -a bit small - well it is for my lot , but one still manages to get in it and thats on all day too .

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
Thanks  :)

I read the reviews on BCs Amazon link and someone said her cat doesn't like it as it makes a crinkling sound - the flectabed doesn't but it is well padded.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 10:43:10 AM »
It's $11.04 for first class mail from the USA - I asked.  ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:57:13 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330360517892&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1893wt_782 These work on the same principle as Marks link and I think it works out cheaper for this item even if it's from America! We have one of these and our cats seem to love it. (Thanks Rosella. ;))

It says they ship worldwide but they only quote postage to USA (Free) or Canada $3.50  :shify:
I know sometimes international postage costs a fortune - otherwise I would get a couple. Hopefully they are the same as Flectabed.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 09:24:51 AM »
I don't like snugglesafe at all they are rock hard and about 3 or 4 inches deep. .

I agree about that, it is a shame they are so blooming hard
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:18:42 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330360517892&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1893wt_782 These work on the same principle as Marks link and I think it works out cheaper for this item even if it's from America! We have one of these and our cats seem to love it. (Thanks Rosella. ;))

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:27:42 AM »
I don't like snugglesafe at all they are rock hard and about 3 or 4 inches deep. The best electricity-free bed IMO is a Flectabed. The size 1 is a bit small for most cats - size 2 is perfect. The technology was developed by NASA and it reflects body-heat back. The technology is used by emergency services. The cover is washable and you can buy spares if you want to. Alice has one and we bought some for a branch a couple of years ago. Not cheap but bearing in mind they are safe and cost nothing to run.........

This is the cheapest I can find right now but some places are charging £32 (I'm sure we paid £17.99 in a local feed store  :shify: ) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pet-Life-Flectabed-Vet-Bed-S2-Dog-Thermal-Warm-Cosy-Bed_W0QQitemZ290356238518QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item439a9498b6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Alice also has a heated orthopaedic "constant companions" bed which is great but I haven't seen them for a while - I think they may have gone out of business.

btw - PAH sell Flectabeds but I'm not sure how much they charge. You can get them with a faux sheepskin cover as the link or a faux suede.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:29:43 AM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 06:46:07 AM »
I have a Snugglesafe for my cats.

I've often wondered though, when cats are in outdoor rescue pens are their heated beds electically heated?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 04:27:24 AM »
In a couple of weeks time you will have a new post asking how to keep yourself warm after Noah has taken over the bed!  :evillaugh: ;) :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 00:26:51 AM »
Mine just climb in with me and the dog. Safest way and saves electricity ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 23:38:58 PM »
I normally put the snugglesafe under a fleecy blanket - I figured if they were cold they would sleep on it! You could just get a normal old fashioned hot water bottle and put it under his fleece, I'm sure Mark posted about a bed that reflected the body heat from the cat so no electricity required - will see if I can find the post...

Edit: It's called 'flectabed'
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 23:48:22 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 23:36:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I do have a spare smaller duvet which usually lives on the sofa in the winter, never thought he might go inside.  :sneaky: Noah has only been here two days, but so far is sleeping on a fleece blanket on top of a deep storage unit. This is by a huge window so gets VERY cold in winter: he hasn't yet been in the rest of the flat so don't know if he will find a better place! Thought I'd replace or add to the fleece blanket with a heated pad/ bed - I think the circular pad would be too lumpy.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 23:20:50 PM »
I have a duvet for my cats, which I fold lengthways so they can go inside if they want to

I put it on my bed during the day and move it to the sofa at night - it cost £10 in Tesco, and I have a couple of covers for it

I wouldn't use electricity personally, as most cats are happy enough to snuggle up into something soft, without wires
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 23:14:23 PM »
I wouldn't be happy with leaving an electric blanket on when I'm not in but that might just be me being super paranoid  :evillaugh: The dog bed looks nice and comfy but the danger is that he will ignore whatever bed is intended for him and sleep elsewhere! I have a snugglesafe which is a hard plastic disc that you heat up in the microwave, you could then put it under/in whatever Noah has decided he likes to sleep in/on.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=250

If you do order from VetUK you can 'click through' a rescue link and the rescue gets 5% of the order total donated to them - I checked and Adel CP don't seem to have one but there's a few rescues on here that do...

If anyone orders from vetuk, and lets face it you'd be crazy not to given their prices and free superfast p&p, please order through a rescue link so they will get 5% of your order value donated to them by vetuk.

The rescues on here that have a link are below, I always take it in turns every time I order.

http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk/ - scroll down and click on VetUK logo

http://www.coventrycatgroup.org.uk/  - click on 'help us' tab, then 'shop online and help us' then click on VetUK link itself.

http://www.pawsinncats.com/ - click on vetuk logo at bottom of home page

www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk/ - click on vetuk logo on right hand side of home page

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
Human Electric underblanket/ Heated Dog Bed for Cat - Safety?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 22:36:45 PM »
It's starting to get chilly these last few days so contemplating putting my electric underblanket back on the bed, and hoping Noah will join me at night. I'm not big on general heating, only bother when it's really icy, and the flat rarely falls below 15C due to the neighbouring flats. :evillaugh: It's a bit unfair to expect Noah to turn frugalista but I can't leave the room heaters on overnight or when at work for safety reasons (radiant panel heaters). Soooo I am thinking about purchasing one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GOOD-IDEAS-HEATED-PET-618/dp/B000WIZIZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=outdoors&qid=1255288851&sr=1-1

Questions: is it safe to allow a cat on a electric underblanket with an overnight (very low) setting? The flat has modern circuit breakers, is that safe enough? Is there any reason I can't use the above heated dog bed for a cat?
Lulu's Catbook

Link to CatChat