Author Topic: A new pill-giving trick  (Read 2341 times)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
Re: A new pill-giving trick
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 19:16:48 PM »
I would try that but feeding separately is a total nightmare in this house as I found out with the prescription food. He doesn't really mind it this way

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 19:09:12 PM »
Have you tried sprinkling the cystaid in his wet food? Normally eaten well that way. Taz always ate his capsule whole if i put it on top of his food  :Luv2: (he is thick tho)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 18:48:13 PM »
Mine don't like those either. I've found the easiest way to give Belle his Cystaid is to just see him sat down or laying, hide the capsule in my hand while stroking his head, then just tilt his lil head back and put the tablet in as far back in his mouth as I can. If I pick him up it gets him stressed (he haaaates being lifted) and it won't work, doing it quickly and not making a big deal out of it works well for him. I also vary the times of day he gets it so he won't know when it's coming. I've tried coating the capsule with stuff but he just licks it off and leaves the tablet.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 15:30:14 PM »
Well it sounded good in theory but she still won't take it. I have tried pork fat with no luck today so went and bought a pack of ready-cooked chicken pieces (Elmwood) as she loves those (welfare friendly and only sugar added, no E numbers or phosphates)

ETA - well that worked. There is something about the co-op cooked chicken. It is the only thing she doesn't sniff & paw before eating - it goes straight down (pill & all) without touching the sides  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 16:15:50 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 13:43:10 PM »
Mine are like Blip

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
My Yagga at almost 4yrs old has only started eating biscuits, he has no want of treats whatsoever and is a total monster to pill!  :tired:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »
Blip won't eat any treat at all  :doh:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Cat_Crazy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »
Mine sniff them, give me a dissapointed look then run away!  :(

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »
Mine wont eat them either  :shy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
Never had a cat eat them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:01:46 AM »
they glued them to the floor  :evillaugh:

Yes we have that too  :evillaugh: - they have rub their faces in them but some do get eaten  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »
Now mine dont eat them......they drool over them and fight over them and (when I had polished tiled floors ) they glued them to the floor  :evillaugh:

Mogs is terribly she can find a tablet in whatever you hide it in and unwrap it. I dont know how but she does. Amber on the other hand is a nightmare when it comes to getting tablets down her but then tries to eat Mogs's tablet

I think I have crazy cats  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »
Yes - not the biscuits, the ones that look like tiny grey chocolate buttons. All of mine love them - they are the only thing that gets eaten in a stocking - which I really buy for the mouse as they are Willow's favourite ones too  :evillaugh: - I just bin the horrible dry fish things and the biscuits  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
 ;D Glad it works, suggestions are always welcome re administrating pills it can be a right struggle!  mindst you I'm surprised at catnip drops I've never known any cat to like them - or is just my cats who've never liked them, I suppose though some cats must or they wouldn't sell them  :evillaugh: do you mean the ones you get in cat stockings?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
A new pill-giving trick
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »
"Good Girl" catnip drops go soft if you warm them on a radiator or something - a bit like chocolate - so you can squash them around a pill. Willow won't eat normal treats but she likes the catnip drops.

Link to CatChat