Author Topic: Do i go with my gut instinct?  (Read 11051 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Do i go with my gut instinct?
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 14:28:40 PM »
Yay! I bet you will sleep better for doing that!  :wow: :hug:

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 13:22:05 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and opinions. Well yesterday the call came from the girl in question that i have been dredding. She rang and said.... "could we come round and collect Alice. I took a deap breath and said... My husband and i have discussed you having Alice and have decided she is not suitable for you, she does not mix well with other cats and would not be a good companion for your cat. I then said, " thank you for your call" and as hoped she got the message she will not be getting a cat from The-Kats-Whiskers. I was so uptight before hand but felt such releif after the call. Besides i would have had my mum to deal with if i let Alice go to these people. lol
Good for you hun! :)

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 00:46:09 AM »
I think all rescue canters have there own ways of thinking, we are there to make sure we do our best for the little cats safety if they think the little mite is going to a home with Danger  Dogs next door and they are in Danger of being attack we have a right to say no, the people who came to home a little cat should know, they might, be lovely people kind and would give a little cat a very loverly home but they should know  what there other little cat went though, and not want the same to happen again I would never leave a little cat if I thought it was in any unsafe home or surroundings thats my way of thinking no matter who they are or what they say.

Offline Purrrrfect (Shelly)

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 23:54:12 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and opinions. Well yesterday the call came from the girl in question that i have been dredding. She rang and said.... "could we come round and collect Alice. I took a deap breath and said... My husband and i have discussed you having Alice and have decided she is not suitable for you, she does not mix well with other cats and would not be a good companion for your cat. I then said, " thank you for your call" and as hoped she got the message she will not be getting a cat from The-Kats-Whiskers. I was so uptight before hand but felt such releif after the call. Besides i would have had my mum to deal with if i let Alice go to these people. lol
Adopt a cat or kitten at...
www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/smf-forum 
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com
Pets Lost, Found & Stolen UK
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129703920378095
R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 23:26:45 PM »
Yes Dabs think you have got the wrong end of the stick here and am sure its cos of poor Pickles  :hug: :hug:

Every one is different and am sure if it had been you, you would have explained the situation before or during the visit and it would have been discusseed sensibly.

All rescues have to make judgement calls and Ron has a heart of gold and a home check is usually am essential part of getting a cat.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 21:34:40 PM »
I agree with gut feelings i think you done the right thing not letting the have a cat, I had 2 people come knocking on my door last week with a cat basket wanting to home a cat maybe 2, i told them that it does not work that way and I always do a home visit first, they then said that the dogs next door had ripped there last little cat to peaces, you can guess the answer I gave there and then, :censored: but then they said Oh they don't let there dogs out in the garden anymore they left with there empty basket not to happy, >:(

Perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick on this or just feeling a bit sensitive at the mo, but my darling Pickle had to be PTS on Tuesday night as a dog got to her. We assume it was those  :censored: terriers next door but one. Pickle had spent two years walking along that fence to get into a neighbours garden at the rear who likes to see my cats in her garden. This family with the dogs moved in during the summer, how do you explain to a cat that she cannot go along that fence anymore. Does this make me a bad cat owner.  :-:

The family you turned away may have had new neighbours as well.

Like I said Ron, I could be just a bit sensitive as I am still upset about pickle.  :)
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 20:44:56 PM »
I agree with gut feelings i think you done the right thing not letting the have a cat, I had 2 people come knocking on my door last week with a cat basket wanting to home a cat maybe 2, i told them that it does not work that way and I always do a home visit first, they then said that the dogs next door had ripped there last little cat to peaces, you can guess the answer I gave there and then, :censored: but then they said Oh they don't let there dogs out in the garden anymore they left with there empty basket not to happy, >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »
I agree - always go with gut instinct. They don't sound right. Another thing is I bet they wouldn't even give a donation if they are looking for a free cat. I can cope with dirty houses etc but as long as the cats are well cared for, it doesn't matter. I homechecked a house a couple of years ago and it was possibly the dirtiest house I have ever seen  but their exisitng cat had a clean litter tray, fresh water and food. Also when I saw their cat hobble in and they explained that he had been run over and they got the money together to pay for a £1500 op, including skin grafts, I knew they loved cats which is the main thing  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 02:01:13 AM »
OMG! My cats are pretty relaxed but would scratch a stranger to death if they tried to go near them straight away....Obviously they dont have the faintest idea of how to act around a cat.... So that is consideration out!  >:( :shocked:

They are also coming into your home as if they are doing you a favour....  :Crazy:

Go with your gut hun!  ;) :hug:

Have these guys had a homecheck yet.... I would just fail them or give them the boot some other way!  :naughty: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 00:26:55 AM »
I so agre with everyone on this and think the cats are the best judge.

have to say I just couldnt do rescue at all, just not emotionally string enough, would love all the cats and not want any to leave.

I also would not try and pick up an adult cat on the first meeting  and yopur cats obviously thought the same as you  ;D

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 23:09:08 PM »
I think you have answered the question yourself - if you have doubts don't do it
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 22:38:37 PM »
Yes, me too - people like that shouldn''t be allowed to have any animal -full stop ! >:(

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 22:12:26 PM »
I think you have definately made the right decision Hun  :Luv:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Senior Cat
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 21:06:15 PM »
Thank you very much for all your replies. I had already made my mind up that Alice or any other my cats up for adoption in my care were not going to this couple. I mean they let a cat out within days of taking it home. And i just dont like the hubby. It takes a special home and a special person to have one of our cats. There has been a few that have been turned down.

Alice's story is...  We had a phone call off a vets in long eaton..(seams our name is getting around lol) they said she came to them becaause her owners abandoned her to start a new life in spain. She suffered because of this and lost all her fur from her bottom to the end of her tail. She hid for 2 months after coming to us and jumped at every single noise. She now spends time out of her hiding hole and is a very happy cat althou she does not like other cats but she loves giving you pussy cat kisses. She is black & white and possibly hard to home. but ide rather have 100 hard to home cats than let one go to the wrong home.

The couple also said they came back to us because they could not find a free! cat on the internet. I realy hope that the person who entrusted them with their beloved cat/kitten does not know that it was tragicly killed on the road within days.  :doh: :-[
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 21:09:21 PM by Purrrrfect (Shelly) »
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 19:47:02 PM »
Gut instinct all the way, i doubt they would keep a new one in a month whilst it settles either

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 19:37:59 PM »
I would be guided by the cats.  Blip's instinct is certainly 100% where people are concerned and I'm sure she's typical.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 19:34:50 PM »
I am a firm believer in gut instint in all things in life, and its not often wrong  :hug:

If even the friendliest cats in your care seemed to have issue with them, then there must be a problem.

After all, the cats choose their humans, not the other way around  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 18:49:06 PM »
I always go by the reaction of my animals and in this case i would definately say no to these people
there sounds to be something very fishy here :shify: i would go with your  gut feeling  Shelley :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 18:25:13 PM »
If the cats do not like the people then that should tell you all you need to know.

Something is not right here.

You have to trust some of the people some of the time, but not in this case.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 18:18:12 PM »
Go with yours and the cats instinct please and do not let them have a cat -there is something odd here - i certainly wouldn''t let them have one .
I feel the same as you Rosella - i wouldn''t trust hardly anyone either .

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 18:11:33 PM »
Am i right to go with my gut instinct and the behaviour of the cats and not let them have one of my cats?? 

Yes.  Seriously. Otherwise you need to be prepared to put up with constant sleepless nights whilst you worry about their welfare and I'm not sure that will be good for the other puds you have?  I couldn't do rescue to save my life; I wouldn't trust anyone... well OK so I'd trust JS and maybe one or two others  :innocent:

• Senior Cat
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
Do i go with my gut instinct?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 18:02:44 PM »
I had a couple call and ask to come and see what cats we have up for adoption. We arranged a time and day for them to come round. They turned up nearly an hour late, they looked round at all the cats and each one they tried to pickup bit them or struggled to get free. They stayed for an awefull long time before saying they would have a talk about it and get back to us wich was fine with me. We heard nothing off them for a few weeks untill yesterday when they asked if they could come and see Alice and Cuddles again and wanted to come round at 7pm we agreed. They turned up nearly an hour late and stood chatting for a while then looked at the cats again. The hubby tryed to pick Bruno up who is the softest, gentalist, lay back cat we have. But he kept biting the hubby everytime he tried to touch him. This did worry me (i wasnt worried by what he was doing more why)

The couple had told me a few weeks earlier that they had got a young cat/kitten off our local freecycle and it had got run over and killed a few days later.  )rip little kitty) They had contacted me 2 days after the accident wanting another cat.

Am i right to go with my gut instinct and the behaviour of the cats and not let them have one of my cats??  I just don't feel happy letting them have one. After coming back after 2 weeks they said they would come back next week for Alice. What are they playing at!?  :-:

Link to CatChat