Author Topic: New Pain relief for Cats & Dogs  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: New Pain relief for Cats & Dogs
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 19:30:53 PM »
Gastro probs with metacam are very common so not much difference there between the two.

I don't think the cat version of Metacam has actually been around a very long time so I wouldn't be inclined to dismiss the new one.
Cat metacam is just a weaker version of dog metacam so its a much more tried/tested/trusted drug, has been used some time

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 09:24:38 AM »
Our Tom used to throw up alot with Metacam Mark which I think is a very common reaction to it esp with a cat that isn't eating properly. 

I think we would need to compare the contra indications.  There will presumably be occasions where pain relief in tablet form will be a good thing for a cat with kidney probs.  I agree however that liquid form is so much easier is give.

I don't think the cat version of Metacam has actually been around a very long time so I wouldn't be inclined to dismiss the new one.  Just something to ask vet about if the need arises.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:26:43 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 19:36:01 PM »
I'm also concerned about the "common" (1 - 10 in 100) cats having diarrhoea or vomiting with it. I know Clapton has been given Metacam several times since being diagnosed CRF with no ill effects so I would rather he had something well tested if pain relief was needed.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »
Ah yes, it will be.  No good for Blip's spondylitis, then.  Still, I'm sure it will help many others.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 22:42:12 PM »
So that's why they say acute as opposed to chronic?   

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 20:49:57 PM »
Its only for use up to 6 days so must be more potent?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 20:45:32 PM »
I'm useless when it comes to medical terminology Christine (I sort of build a brick wall).  What sort of conditions would the following phrase relate to?
"For the treatment of acute pain and inflammation associated with musculo-skeletal disorders in cats"
I didn't see that bit - where did you see it, Rosella?   

http://www.onsior.com/docs/Onsior_Cat_Package_Leaflet.pdf

Point 4 on page 1

:thanks: for the reference, Rosella.  I read on and found 'This product reduced pain and inflammation associated with musculoskeletal disorders in clinical trials in cats.'

I shall ask our vet about this forthwith.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 20:33:10 PM »
I'm useless when it comes to medical terminology Christine (I sort of build a brick wall).  What sort of conditions would the following phrase relate to?
"For the treatment of acute pain and inflammation associated with musculo-skeletal disorders in cats"
I didn't see that bit - where did you see it, Rosella?   

http://www.onsior.com/docs/Onsior_Cat_Package_Leaflet.pdf

Point 4 on page 1

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 19:34:26 PM »
How many times have you seen palatable tablet on the package and kitty doesnt agree  :shify: :shify:

It may have been licenced but the real trials are only just beginning me thinks!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 19:29:22 PM »
A 'palatable' tablet that cant be split or broken  :innocent: i prefer metacam for awkward cats much easier to shoot that in than a pill, ill cats are always more picky with food  :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 17:39:21 PM »
Theres a bit more about it on the Noah site here http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/Onsior_6_mg_flavoured_tablets_for_Cats/-46115.html (I always go straight to the contraindications, LOL! ) seems like theres the usual contras - safety not known in animals under 2.5kg,  or in pregnant or nursing mums. Plus use in cats with heart, kidney or liver probs, needs careful monitoring. Sounds as though its specifically for pain relief after ops etc, like with Metacam? Comes in injection and tablet form apparently.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 16:36:47 PM »

I didn't see that bit - where did you see it, Rosella?   I saw this bit: 'Onsior is for relief of chronic pain such as osteoarthritis in dogs or acute pain in cats' (my emphasis).

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 16:15:52 PM »
Thanks Sam.  This is very interesting as it doesn't seem to have as serious an effect on the kidneys as normal NSAIDs i.e. metacam? 

so is the literature saying it's only for acute rather than chronic conditions?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:57:23 PM »
Very interesting, Sam, although I see it's not recommended for chronic inflammatory conditions in cats.  It's good to know that there is research in this area though.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
New Pain relief for Cats & Dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 11:36:37 AM »
Saw this today and thought it may be of interest:

http://www.novartis.com/newsroom/news/2009-10-01-onsior.shtml
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat