Author Topic: 4, 9 Week old kittens looking for new homes (Homes Found)  (Read 23292 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: 4, 9 Week old kittens looking for new homes (Homes Found)
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2009, 12:06:05 PM »
So glad that things are starting to fall into place JS!  :wow:

I agree its so much easier to analise someone else's cat!  ;) :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2009, 10:25:23 AM »
I'm studying Advanced Feline Psychology (with Vicky as it happens!) so have to read a lot of those sort of books. I did anyway before I started the course. I think you're right, sometimes I think we project onto the cat hat we think is happening anyway. I'm so paranoid about it not working that I'm probably seeing signs and completely misreading them.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »
glad things are settling down a bit - sometimes I think we read too much into stuff, I wish I'd never read a Vicky Halls book I have to say lol!  I'm sure they will settle and peace will reign once more  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2009, 09:20:30 AM »
that's another thing - cats would normally interact outdoors, where it is much easier for them to choose their distances

Astryd may be going out in the expectation that Darwin (sorry about that :-[) will follow

I did think about that. She does look back through the cat flap, bless her. He's started sniffing the cat flap now, so we have to be very wary about leaving the little guy alone in case he decides to go through the "magic door." :evillaugh: And not a problem, really - I like the name Dexter too. ;)

Thanks Desley. :) New feliway refill should arrive soon, that might help Skitty Kitty and Old Mog back no track. (Typically, I ran out just before Darwin arrived and didn't get paid until this week.

Massively good thing happened this morning and the night before last, though. Before Darwin arrived, Astryd would climb into bed every night and make a "nest" with my hair but she stopped when he came a week ago. She did this the other night and got into bed for a cuddle this morning, just like she always has done. I'm terribly emotional about the whole thing and every time she makes it obvious she's getting more and more OK about it all, I nearly burst into tears.  :shy:

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2009, 08:03:19 AM »
Glad things are seeming a bit better.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2009, 22:45:47 PM »
that's another thing - cats would normally interact outdoors, where it is much easier for them to choose their distances

Astryd may be going out in the expectation that Darwin (sorry about that :-[) will follow
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2009, 13:58:13 PM »
Hopefully. She does still go out a little more than usual, but has started coming in and out quite a lot and will actively seek out Darwin to run around with. She then has some grub and wanders off back out again. (I think currently all three girls are asleep upstairs and Shorticus is asleep on the settee.) They've had treats next to each other and Astryd would only eat from her bowl if it was behind Darwin. (Odd girl!)

We keep the girls in an night at the moment (usually they have 24/7 access) while they adjust. It's also necessary because the little lad is already sniffing the cat flap.....really need to get the microchip cat flap sorted!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2009, 13:26:31 PM »
Astryd is loving bopping Darwin on the head and pegging it - and her ears do some highly entertaining movements at the moment as she flits through how she feels.

Well looks like the friendship has begun, she is testing the water even more now so Im sure yours will be a fun house very soon!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2009, 21:48:29 PM »
and I swore Lirael hated my guts and would never be the same once we brought smoke home, I think it took a month before she remembered she loved me but got there eventually.

Thanks Sabrina. These guys are my babies.....I'd hate them to fall out with me! :shy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2009, 21:47:23 PM »
Hmmm, not sure. Sage is showing surprising amounts of "not taking any of the tiny cats nonsense." Never thought I'd say it, but she's being pretty assertive! Mog grumbles like a tractor...but then, Mog grumbles at everything.

Astryd is loving bopping Darwin on the head and pegging it - and her ears do some highly entertaining movements at the moment as she flits through how she feels.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2009, 21:46:32 PM »
Sounds like things are going well in the right directions.

And yes the bottle brush is making them look bigger than they are. All of mine have done that at some point for whatever reason (mostly shadows).

We've had breakthroughs with our Gizmo and Smoke, Smoke is just now allowing Giz to get head rubs from her though she occasionally still smacks him. So it can take time ;)  and I swore Lirael hated my guts and would never be the same once we brought smoke home, I think it took a month before she remembered she loved me but got there eventually.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2009, 20:44:20 PM »
Glad things are beginning to sort themselves out.  Wonder who will end up as Topcat after all the jockeying for position has ended?

My money's on Astryd  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2009, 17:08:46 PM »
It's Darwin, trigger. ;) But I do appreciate your input and you make valid points that in my fit of fear my cats would hate me I hadn't considered..... :shy:

Darwin is currently asleep on my partner and the other three ladies are mooching about the house. :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2009, 11:55:43 AM »
Tosker is much younger, and livelier, than my other two, who in all honesty took to their cardigans and carpet slippers before their middle years

one of the reasons I took on a younger problem rescue cat was in the hopes of shaking them up a bit - and although there has been precious little bonding, Trigger and Tiff both spend more hours awake, go out more, and eat better, than they did before Tosker arrived

life here may not have got better in their eyes, but it sure got more interesting

so I don't think you should only judge whether Dexter was a good idea simply from the lack of negative interaction - aggression is also part of a cat's natural behaviour, and as long as it doesn't get out of hand is fine in my book
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »
My experience is limited with kittens - I tend to have gaps between taking them on so can't remember anything about their behaviour with regards to older cats. Mog has just had a major tantrum because Darwin got himself caught in something and I had to put him on my knee (which she as on) to get it off him.....much hissing, growling and ridiculous melodramatics ensued......

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »
EDIT: What does it mean when Darwins tail looks like a bottle brush and he makes funny spitting noises? Never heard them come from a cat before.

As far as I know, sounds like he's trying to hiss and put his hackles up :Luv2: He's trying to stand up for himself and make himself big and manly ;D

Kittens are so much fun. Sounds like everything is going brilliantly, yes it is taking longer than you would like but progress is certainly being made.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »
Anyone that knows about Cat Across the Road knows the little guy comes and sits on the ledge outside - he and Darwin just had quite a lot of fun running up and down the window ledges (inside and outside)  playing a bizarre game of "Catch."

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2009, 09:54:17 AM »
I think we had a bit of a break through last night. Definite tentative playing occurred with no hissing.....The only cat that will be on the bed at the same time as Darwin is Mog, but only if he's quiet and doesn't bother her. Astryd jumped on to the bed this morning and had a fuss before realising he was there and getting off again. She's still going out quite a lot (Sage too) but both of them are coming back in more frequently.

*Tries to breathe calmly....* :shy:

EDIT: What does it mean when Darwins tail looks like a bottle brush and he makes funny spitting noises? Never heard them come from a cat before.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:34:05 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
As long as there's no fur flying, I can only imagine its going well!!

Seriously though hun, try not to worry and give them time  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2009, 22:08:20 PM »
Still hissing here.....and definitely no sitting on the settee together. :( Hoping things will calm down a bit.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2009, 20:30:25 PM »
Oh JS I've only just seen this  :shy: Congratulations on your new addition  :Luv:

Welcome to the harrassed and exhausted by kittens club  :evillaugh:

Our girl Kiki is still a bit unsure about Louis and Floyd but everybody can sit on the couch together etc, Gibson the dog however is still getting hissed at by the boys but it's all pantomime, no malice or anything  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2009, 13:22:45 PM »
Hope so. ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
That's good the vet neutering them at five months, I'd say thats about the age they start to get rough playing horsies!  :innocent:

All will be okay JS....  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2009, 11:23:15 AM »
I intend to get him neutered as soon as he's five months. (Our vets do that) I was hoping that age would be irrelevant because Jack was 14 when he and Astryd used to rough house. I don't know, maybe I'm just worried that instead of making things easier for Astryd this might end up making things harder for her.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
I just think that you were right initially with an older kitten, as there is a big difference between both age and size with Astryd and Darwin. That said, I have seen a 5yo male playing with an 11wo kitten wonderfully. You might also end up wtih issues in a few months once Darwin hits sexual maturity.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
Thanks to you all for your input - it is appreciated. And Desley, I know Darwin should've been kept in a room on his own but we set up his stuff in the room that's meant to be spare and he made all our other three cats uncomfortable and stressed with his shouting. (Which, I have to say is possibly the loudest I've ever heard a kitten shout.) It bothered all three girls way too much for us to leave the situation like that.

Also, you think he's too young to fit into the group dynamic? I do want an honest opinion, otherwise there's no point saying! That is a concern I've had watching the situation unfold in all honesty. He is a lovely little fella, though. :)

EDIT: I am trying to worry less and yes, BM I have given advice on this. Odd how when you're put in the situation you lose every semblance of confidence regarding these things......
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:59:05 AM by JackSpratt »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »
actually, Rosella, the youngest tends to react more as generally they haven't gone through cats coming and going like the older ones have, I know JS's adults have had experience of cats joining the household. This little one shouldnt have been introduced so quickly, he should be in a safe room and scent swapping done to allow everyone to adjust. I am sure she will come round soon JS, but I think he is a bit young for your situation.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2009, 10:02:55 AM »
It takes a bit of time. So try and relax otherwise all of your cats will pick up your stressing.

It took Lirael & Smoke a few weeks, one of the weeks Smoke was in her own room finding her feet since Lirael wouldn't stop watching her and following her (smoke just hid under the wardrobe).

Penguin walked into the house like he'd lived here from birth and both girls never hissed at him, though Smoke will smack him if he's too close, mind you she does that with everyone.

Gizmo our youngest took ages before the rest stopped hissing. But with time he's built a relationship with all three.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2009, 01:37:58 AM »
See my Maisey JS, well she is approx 2 and a half and the size of a 14mnth old....She is the most confident crazy cat I have....She runs away until she gets to know kittens, then she bats them then play takes hold.....

Everything you have described sounds a pretty normal reaction to me.... How many times must you yourself have gave out info along the same lines?  ;)

Be patient JS and stop yer worrying lass....all will end better than you currently expect! I give you my word!  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2009, 23:02:34 PM »
That's the point though, Shelly. I mentioned the main reason we wanted a younger cat was to gain a bond with Astryd. I know they aren't by nature pack animals, but Astryd seriously loved rough housing with Jack.

(Thank you, by the way! For the offer of phone calls and reassurance. :))
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 23:03:28 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Purrrrfect (Shelly)

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2009, 22:52:43 PM »
I really hope you guys are right. I'm freaking out, because Astryd is still sitting outside the majority of the time.

Hi JS,  I realy think that me and you are so alike more than you think and that i hope you trust me when i say eveything is going to be ok. You have my mobile number and you are quite welcome to contact me anytime you want for a chat and reasurance. I'm billy no mates in my area cos no one understands me LOL!

Cats are not natrualy pack animals they prefer to be alone, its just us humans that brings them together and wants them to bond. Some cats do bond and others don't.
Adopt a cat or kitten at...
www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/smf-forum 
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com
Pets Lost, Found & Stolen UK
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129703920378095
R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2009, 22:11:12 PM »
I really hope you guys are right. I'm freaking out, because Astryd is still sitting outside the majority of the time.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2009, 21:55:23 PM »
I agree with Shelly ... the fact that Astryd is watching from a distance means she is interested in the little chap.  Zephyr did this when Rossi joined us .... he could often be found creeping round the house checking out all the places she had been ... he was totally fascinated by her although a little bit wary.  The best bit was when he finally plucked up the courage to pounce on her and all she did was roll over make a pathetic miaow then she bopped him on the nose and ran off ... and from that moment on they became great mates.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Purrrrfect (Shelly)

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2009, 21:24:54 PM »
I think you may find its down to me for hubby changing his mind about a chosen name for the little guy. While JS was in the back making a drink, i happened to mention to other half that while little guy was with us i could not possibly call him Hamish because it didnt feel right lol and that i much prefered Darwin.  :briggin: 

he is a very confident little guy and as stated he ignored the kitten food and went straight to the adult food. He did that here althou i got the kitten food down first. It does not seem to bother him. With Astryd showing interest from the fridge that is a big break through in such a short time.

I beleive she likes this hadsome little guy but she don't want to show mummy that she does.  ;D

trust me Astyd sitting watching him is a big break through.  ;D

Adopt a cat or kitten at...
www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/smf-forum 
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com
Pets Lost, Found & Stolen UK
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129703920378095
R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2009, 19:06:21 PM »
I know MM but my 2 girls are only a month away from their 1st birthday and they are still babies to me  :-[ 

I just don't see a 1 year old (Astryd) being as upset as an adult (Sage) or worse still an elderly adult (Carrie). 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2009, 19:00:32 PM »
One year old cats have very defined likes and dislikes so i wouldnt class them as babies, kittens on the otherhand like everything and sometimes are too forward too quickly for adults to deal with

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2009, 18:54:54 PM »
Yay, glad he's Darwin again, I think it really suits him  :Luv2:

I have no experience at all in introducing cats, but it sounds to me like you're doing everything right, and Astryd will hopefully come round in no time, its great that she's looking interested in any event, hopefully they'll all be best of friends  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2009, 18:43:25 PM »
I agree MM with adult cats but these two are babies and I just couldn't put Darwin in a room alone.

Not even saying that's right or wrong approach; just that I couldn't do it   :-:

I honestly think this will go fine.  Just needs a bit of human zylkene  ;)  Sorry JS.  I'm sending lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug:  They're gonna be just fine  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2009, 18:29:17 PM »
So.....any tips from people with a multicat household?
Yep, put the little tyke in one room and keep him there til things calm down, they shouldnt really see each other straight off, i know some people go with plonking them together and letting them get on with it but thats no good for a worrier!
Theres no end of posts explaining the slow and steady introduction process  ;D

Link to CatChat