Author Topic: Harnesses/leads  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Harnesses/leads
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 15:22:51 PM »
if you are fostering her rather than adopting her, then keeping her in is best, I only allow long term oldies outdoor access, i dont think it is fair on youngsters who will be rehomed, as they will then have to be kept in again when rehomed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 15:16:34 PM »
Did you get your little foster? How are things if so?  :shify: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 20:33:37 PM »
please remember she can climb and also jump up to 6 times her height and I would not leave anywhere open that she can get out  :hug:

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 20:31:50 PM »
We had a harness when we first got Samson - so that we could let him explore the garden before he was allowed out properly.  He hated it and wouldn't walk in it at all.  It wasn't tight or anything but you'd think we'd chopped his leg off or something how he was stumbling about.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 20:29:09 PM »
Thanks for your replies
I didn't want to seem mean keeping her in but if you think its ok i will do, i am in and out at the weekends seeing to the buns, cleaning out etc and i have a stable back door so will keep the bottom shut and keep her in while i am out!
www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk

Owned by 7 rabbits and a 2 cats

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 18:57:22 PM »
Bilbo loves his and every winter goes for walks in snowy forests and has done since he was about 14/15 weeks old  ;D It totally depends on the cat if harness training will be successful or not. Bilbo is the only one of mine that likes his thereagain he has had it since he was about 7 weeks old when the breeder started getting him used to it for me.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 18:50:28 PM »
Me too! An older kitten 6 months plus has much more experience, instincts have kicked in more and waryness keeps them alert!  ;)

....At that age they can have loads of fun in the house....could you not bring a couple of bunnies inside instead!  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 18:46:49 PM »
Im in the keep them in til they are big enough camp, they are much more brazen and go further if they already now what the garden is, if they go out fresh at 6 months then caution is aired abit more, little kittens are fearless and into everything  :tired:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:56:32 AM »
I had one for my bengal for before she was spayed, she just used to lie on her back biting the lead for about 10 minutes and then go in again!  there are people on the forum who have been sucessful though, Philip takes one of his raggies to the park

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 23:26:18 PM »
Me again  :attention: Not stalking you, honest  :evillaugh:

I had harnesses for my two when they were kittens and they weren't impressed at all! She'll be fine inside with lots of love and attention, if you take her out on a harness and she really likes going outside you then run the risk of her creating a stink/attempting to escape all the time!

I know a few others on here have used harnesses with great success but my two just weren't happy about wearing them fullstop!

Thank you for replying!  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 23:15:53 PM »
Me again  :attention: Not stalking you, honest  :evillaugh:

I had harnesses for my two when they were kittens and they weren't impressed at all! She'll be fine inside with lots of love and attention, if you take her out on a harness and she really likes going outside you then run the risk of her creating a stink/attempting to escape all the time!

I know a few others on here have used harnesses with great success but my two just weren't happy about wearing them fullstop!

Offline angeleyes

• Adult Cat
Harnesses/leads
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 22:39:27 PM »
Are harnesses/leads ok to use? What are peoples experiences of them?
I am going to be fostering a 13 week old kitten from Saturday and want to allow her out in the garden with me and the buns but i don't want her going off and exploring out of the garden, not least until she is spayed and vac'd so this is the only way i can think to safely let her out.

Link to CatChat