Author Topic: Hugo has fleas...  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Hugo has fleas...
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 21:50:34 PM »
Ahh a promo like kitten/puppy packs, a freebie in hope it gets you on to their product  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 21:49:19 PM »
What a clever idea - good stuff for a freebie too! Hopefully Hugo's 'visitors' will be a thing of the past before long  :sneaky:

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 21:35:31 PM »
It must be some sort of "promotional" packet that vets give to new owners. It only had one dose in, and it came with a little kitten care booklet.

Yes, the powder comes from PAH. I understand now that it's pretty useless... I'll know next time!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 19:32:13 PM »
The combo will stop his fleas reproducing but wont treat whats already in process in the carpets so i would spray the entire house too as it will give a quicker knockdown. FL combo doesnt come in a kitten version  :shify:
Did the powder come from pah?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 14:54:36 PM »
As the title says, my little kitten Hugo has fleas.

I didn't get round to ordering frontline online before Hugo arrived, so I went to PAH - but they refused to sell me a packet as I wasn't sure of Hugo's weight. I went home and weighed him - he's 1.3 kg btw (tiny  :Luv:), but went to the vet's for frontline as it's closer. The first surgery refused to sell me frontline as they only have combo, and apparently they're not allowed to sell it without seeing the cat first (?). So I went to a second surgery, in the same street, who GAVE me a packet of Frontline Combo for kittens! There's only one dose in there, so I'll have to buy more in a few weeks. But how nice of the lady to give me a packet!

I'm in the process of cleaning the house as well.

I have used powder on the carpet in the living room, and I've put the cover of the cushions, the throw and Hugo's bed things in the wash. Do I need to wash the actual cushions too?

The powder smells really strong, do I need to use it everywhere? The kitchen and lounge are Hugo's main living areas at the moment, so I was thinking of "just" hoovering the rest of the house.

Frontline COMBO is a prescription item so the first vet was correct in saying they needed to have seen Hugo first, or at least for him to be registered with them and for them to have seen him recently.  Am really surprised at the second vet giving you it for free and without seeing him but hey, I bet you're not complaining!

Frontline COMBO has an added ingredient that means it treats the environment too, by this I mean it inhibits the development of the fleas at all stages so the breeding cycle can't continue.  Normal frontline (available online/from the vets/Pets at Home without a prescription) just kills the fleas - probably better explained here:

http://www.baronscourtvet.co.uk/frontline-vs-frontline-combo/

Sooo, you shouldn't need to treat the house aswell, especially given that you've only had him a day or two.  That said fleas are gross things and I'd do anything not to have a flea problem so if I was in your shoes I'd treat the house with a proper vet strength spray (if you got the powder from the petshop/supermarket it's likely to be as useful as a chocolate teapot  :shy:) Accliam, Indorex, Staykill etc - you can get these from Pets at Home as they are licensed to sell them, from online pet pharmacies or from the vets themselves. I would wash all soft furnishings, cushion covers, blankets etc too

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 14:50:39 PM »
Fleas can lie dormant in house carpets for a period of up to 10 years so maybe they were already there and Hugo became lunch!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 14:44:26 PM »
Oh? The leaflet the vet gave me says to put the cat's bedding etc. in the wash.

Perhaps that's coz he's so young?  I sprayed our house from top to bottom a few days before our baby girls arrived last January.  I'm such an awful pessimist  :)

He is an adorable little fella  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 14:12:46 PM »
I have also never heard of a powder  except the dreaded stuff you buy over the counter and is useless.

I would agree with you that after frontlining him, you are unlikely to have anything in the house.

The only time I did was when Kocka was covered and they were hopping about and I knew little about all of this at that time....many years ago.

Sasa had fleas last year and also Ducha  and strongeholded all 4 and Sasa was then done big time at the vets too but didnt touch the hoouse and no problems  ;D

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 14:07:51 PM »
Oh? The leaflet the vet gave me says to put the cat's bedding etc. in the wash. The powder is the vacuum-off type.

I was hoping that because Hugo's only been here a couple of days, there probably aren't that many fleas/eggs etc. in my house and I could get away with frontlining Hugo and just hoovering the house... I have a bit of cold so not feeling up to a big clean! But of course will do whatever's best for my lovely kitten.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 13:57:27 PM »
Not sure what powder you mean but best stuff for house and soft furnishings is Acclaim or Indorex which come in a spray form and I've never washed anything to get rid of fleas  :-:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 13:58:08 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
Hugo has fleas...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 13:36:01 PM »
As the title says, my little kitten Hugo has fleas.

I didn't get round to ordering frontline online before Hugo arrived, so I went to PAH - but they refused to sell me a packet as I wasn't sure of Hugo's weight. I went home and weighed him - he's 1.3 kg btw (tiny  :Luv:), but went to the vet's for frontline as it's closer. The first surgery refused to sell me frontline as they only have combo, and apparently they're not allowed to sell it without seeing the cat first (?). So I went to a second surgery, in the same street, who GAVE me a packet of Frontline Combo for kittens! There's only one dose in there, so I'll have to buy more in a few weeks. But how nice of the lady to give me a packet!

I'm in the process of cleaning the house as well.

I have used powder on the carpet in the living room, and I've put the cover of the cushions, the throw and Hugo's bed things in the wash. Do I need to wash the actual cushions too?

The powder smells really strong, do I need to use it everywhere? The kitchen and lounge are Hugo's main living areas at the moment, so I was thinking of "just" hoovering the rest of the house.

Link to CatChat