Author Topic: A kitten's first night  (Read 5006 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: A kitten's first night
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 22:49:11 PM »
I do apologise.  Being an old fogie of 48, the old eyesight must be getting even worse than it's been for last 30 years lol.  I read it as 2kg last night and of course you are right MM, it's 1kg  :-[

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 19:46:16 PM »
Thank you. I shall check whether he's had any treatment before buying anything. Because he'll be 9 weeks on Monday, I'll probably take him for his injections soon (just want to give him time to settle down before going to the vet's!), so I'll leave the worming out until I get advice from the vet.

Only 3 sleeps til Saturday!!  :wow:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 18:24:18 PM »
FRONTLINE Spot On Cat can be used in kittens from 8 weeks of age and weighing at least 1kg

From the data sheet, he will be ok to treat (aslong as existing owner hasnt!) and he can have an appropriate weight dose of drontal too

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 23:06:36 PM »
As he's so young, need to check he weighs at least 2kg before using Frontline Spot on treatment.  Like so many others, am very jealous about your imminent arrival  :)

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 22:53:18 PM »
Have you got an open fire?  If so. it would be a good idea to block off with a guard or something when you aren't using it.  I thought I had kitten proofed my house until Izzi disappeared up the chimney :Crazy:

We were both covered in soot by the time I got her out again ;D

Oops! Hehe. Thankfully (?) we don't have an open-fire, only an ugly electric one!

Thanks for all the advice people!  :thanks:

I went to PAH tonight - it "happened" to be on my way... Bought a book on kitten care/taming/training. So far it's very interesting, but I doubt it'll keep me busy until Saturday!

So I'm going to buy frontline from the Vetuk site (going through the sponsorised link of course), but I was wondering whether I should get a worming treatment at the same time? I was told that the GP usually does it at the same time as the injections, is that right? If so it won't be in too long, as Hugo will be 9 weeks old on Monday.

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 18:37:43 PM »
Have you got an open fire?  If so. it would be a good idea to block off with a guard or something when you aren't using it.  I thought I had kitten proofed my house until Izzi disappeared up the chimney :Crazy:

We were both covered in soot by the time I got her out again ;D

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 17:05:53 PM »
Oh that's a good idea, to keep him warm.  :Luv:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 17:03:58 PM »
the other thing to do is to ask them if they have a blanket you can bring with him - anything really that they have  used for a couple of days so that it smells of home. if hes from a house then an old t-shirt or something will do.
Also you could try a well wrapped hot water bottle on the first night wrapped in something soft o a heat pad if you've still got more shopping to do.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 17:00:47 PM »
Yes different charities....So excited for you getting little Hugo on Saturday!  :wow:

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 16:57:20 PM »
 :thanks:

I'm not feeling overwhelmed, I'm really enjoying it! Well I'd be enjoying it even more if Hugo was already here... I keep looking at his bed, his carrier, his scratching post... It's almost as if I already missed him! Very strange...

I'm not working at the moment, I'm waiting for teachers to get sick so I can do supply. Unfortunately they are all full of energy and health, still! So I fill my days dreaming about my little kitten and spending my boyfriend's money on him.  :shy:

I like the link you gave me, the cat at the top looks like Hugo!  :wow:

I'd already found a link on this page: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?action=links;cat=7 But there are several pages to choose from, including the one you gave me. What's the difference? Do the money go to different charities depending on which link you choose?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 16:48:29 PM »
I bet your feeling a little overwhelmed at the mo with all of this....It wont take long till you achieve your "cat slave" status!  ;) :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 16:42:36 PM »
Found one! If you click into the link then click on the Vetuk icon that will donate the 5% for charity on your orders total! And anything, any amount received is a bonus!  ;)

http://www.pawsinncats.com/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 16:42:59 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 16:38:05 PM »
Frontline IS excellent I have used this all the time with mine and no probs what so ever....we have small furries too!  ;)

There is an online link on here which I will find one for you in a mo to Vetuk! If you go through this link you will also be donating a 5% discount to cat rescue!  ;)

Dont be tempted to buy flea & worm treatments from a supermarket/pet shop such as Bob Martins as these do not work and may even cause harm to Hugo.... ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 16:33:50 PM »
hopefully he has already been treated for fleas - if not get something like frontline (you can buy online much cheaper than the vet) and you shouldn't have a problem its just a monthly spot on treatment

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 16:33:08 PM »
I'd worry about that later lol, you don't know how big hugo is going to get, he might be twice the size of Tiger and sort things out himself!

:shocked: The white cat is pretty big!

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 16:31:58 PM »
I'm not sure if the white garden cat belongs to anybody. All of my neighbours seem to have cats! I don't know who belongs to whom... But I'll try to check.

I have a question about fleas... I have read about them in lots of places, but it seems to focus on how to get rid of them. Is there any way to prevent them I wonder? I'm worried about my hamsters. (as well as Hugo's wellbeing of course! And the fact that I get badly bitten by fleas)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 16:27:35 PM »
but there is a cat who thinks our garden is his... Should we ignore him and assume Hugo will "sort him out", or should I explain to him this is no longer his sunny spot?

Aw bless! Leave him in his sunny spot for now.....Hugo should'nt be allowed out before he is neutered (approx 6 month old) then maybe 6 wks after as he will go amiss looking for a mate if allowed out before....

So assuming Hugo will be out after his neuter and the bit extra, most of his territory issues will be calmer and he may have a pal!  ;)

Do you know if garden cat is owned and neutered already?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 16:24:47 PM »
I'd worry about that later lol, you don't know how big hugo is going to get, he might be twice the size of Tiger and sort things out himself!

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 16:23:39 PM »
I'm sure you've already thought of it but the cat flap can be locked can't it - until he has been neutered anyway, once the hormones kick in he will want to wander

Yes, it's locked at the moment. Otherwise I'm sure Tiger and the other neighbourhood cats would already have paid us a visit! I have the time to think about it, since Hugo won't be allowed out for a while, but there is a cat who thinks our garden is his... Should we ignore him and assume Hugo will "sort him out", or should I explain to him this is no longer his sunny spot?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 16:12:23 PM »
A handy tip for you, dont know if this applies to young kittens but certainly as they grow...bleach and bleach products to a cat immitate another cats urine hence may lead them to teritory marking to claim area where bleach has been used back!

Bio washing powder mixed in warm water, not a paste solution obviously thinner is much better to treat any wee wee mishaps!  ;)

Yep kitten proofing a house is like child proofing it.....The monkeys can be very similar!  :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 16:09:11 PM »
I'm sure you've already thought of it but the cat flap can be locked can't it - until he has been neutered anyway, once the hormones kick in he will want to wander

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 16:07:25 PM »
Obviously avoiding free roam in danger areas etc!  :innocent:

Well I'm in the process of kitten-proofing the house! I've moved plants where he can't reach them, I've put away the bleach and other dangerous products, I've cleared some spaces on window seals and stools... I need to tidy the cables away now.

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 16:05:18 PM »
Yes, our bedroom will be forever forbidden, but the rest will be open.

Well - the front / sitting room will be free of access when we're here but we'll close it at night and when we're away. I have three hamsters in there, and some of them are real escapologists! Well I'm exagerating... But one of my females, Daisy, did escape two nights ago, and I'm sure Hugo would have loved to play with her, had he been there!

That still leaves the kitchen, hall, bathroom, guest bedroom and study for Hugo to explore. That's alright, isn't it? And when he's old enough, we also have a garden, and there's already a cat flap installed.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 16:00:38 PM »
I can see how taking the tray in and out of the bathroom everyday would be annoying. Maybe we'll just put one in the guest bedroom. But then would that cause a problem for when we have guests staying in the (I suppose I should now call it) Hugo room?

It should'nt be a prob cos as your kitten grows with confidence then you can move the tray to a more appropriate place....I take it you will allow the kitten free roam of your home once they are settled (apart from your room of course)?

Obviously avoiding free roam in danger areas etc!  :innocent:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 16:03:41 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 15:58:10 PM »
I can see how taking the tray in and out of the bathroom everyday would be annoying. Maybe we'll just put one in the guest bedroom. But then would that cause a problem for when we have guests staying in the (I suppose I should now call it) Hugo room?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 14:48:46 PM »
Id say take it out when your having a bath/shower to avoid the steam getting into it....as long as the door is left open when the trays in there it shouldnt be a prob....Only between your toes!  :heeee heeee: :hug:

Dont worry lol! I meant the litter getting between your toes not the tray.....Unless you have big feets that is!  :heeee heeee:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 14:57:33 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 14:43:25 PM »
That's a good idea... I'm getting him a Van Ness enclosed tray, it was recommended to me. I was thinking of maybe getting a simple, cheap one to keep upstairs - maybe in the bathroom? Although my boyfriend pointed out the damp in the room might be a problem.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 14:41:39 PM »
if it were me I'd have a couple of trays to start with, he is tiny and going up and down the stairs will be a huge amount of ground for him to cover also they tend to get carried away with playing and then just need to go (a bit like little kids!)

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 14:39:25 PM »
if you have a guest room that might be nice - you have to see it from his point of view, it will be a scary new world and so a smaller space will hopefully make him feel a bit more secure, also he will know where his tray is!!

Do you mean it would be ok to put his bed in the guest bedroom as he will remember to go downstairs to use his litter tray? That's one thing I was worried about. Mind you I could just create a new bed with a cardboard box and a blanket in it - this way I could put one in the kitchen next to his scratching post and one in the guest bedroom.

I cannot wait for Sunday morning. I know how I'll be feeling, the first thing I'll think of is Hugo, and finding out where he's slept.

... And I'm not that brave... I quit, after all!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 14:40:52 PM by lilja4ever »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 14:34:01 PM »
if you have a guest room that might be nice - you have to see it from his point of view, it will be a scary new world and so a smaller space will hopefully make him feel a bit more secure, also he will know where his tray is!!

wanted to say on your other thread, you are very brave being a language teacher over here!!!!

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 14:29:49 PM »
Another kitten?  :sneaky: :hug:

:naughty: My boyfriend is paying for all the accessories and the first two injections as a bday present - I doubt he'll want to double that!

The teddy bears, however, is a good idea.  :thanks:

Dawn: he has all his things in the kitchen at the moment - it's a big space so they are all spaced out. I'm wondering whether to move his little bed in the guest bedroom already, as I have a feeling that's where he'll want to sleep.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 14:22:38 PM »
Another kitten?  :sneaky: :hug:

A couple of teddie bears to snuggle up too!  :Luv2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 14:15:33 PM »
he needs a cosy little space of his own a bed, litter tray and toys - I kept my bengal kitten in a spare room at night, she did cry a little at first but soon gave up - I did have other cats so was keeping her away from them on purpose

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
A kitten's first night
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 14:10:41 PM »
Hi all, I'm new and since I received such a nice welcome in the newbies' zone, I thought I'd post this thread. Sorry if something similar already exists, I've been reading up but there's a lot of things on here!

So I'm getting a kitten on Saturday. I'm picking up Hugo in Cardiff and taking him home. I'm worried about the first couple of nights... It will be the first time Hugo is separated from his mum and siblings (and the other cats in the household he comes from). My boyfriend wants our bedroom to be a cat-free zone at all times, so I worry Hugo will get lonely during the night, and that he's going to cry.

What can I do to make it easier for him?

Link to CatChat