Author Topic: New cat owner saying "bonjour"  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: New cat owner saying "bonjour"
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 18:54:56 PM »
I haven't seen any other of his films. When I lived in London, I was a few minutes walk from an "alternative" cinema (The Rio in Hackney) Kent is a bit different culture-wise - although we do have the Gulbenkian cinema at the University of Kent. I forget is is there so have never been in the five years I have lived here  :-[ - I should look into it as my partner has a degree in Russian studies (amongst other things  :evillaugh:)

Edit - Thanks for that - we really should go. This weekend is "Le fils de l'épicier" and in 2 weeks "Coco avant Chanel" - and other world cinema in between. I guess things are out there if you can be bothered. It is only 10 minutes in the car  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 18:57:33 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 15:55:43 PM »
Hi and welcome to Purrs. I'm sure others have already warned you that it is addictive. Hopefully your boyfriend will change his mind and allow Hugo (who is  :Luv: ) in the bedroom after all. I can't sleep unless there is at least one of my 4 with me  :evillaugh:

btw - Is your user name from the film?. I saw it about 6 years ago at the cinema  :)

It is, well done! (sorry, I have a tendency to say well done to people - must be a professional deformation!). Not many people know of Lukas Moodysson's films. Did you see any other of his films? His two latest ones were... interesting  :-:

I'm afraid my boyfriend won't change his mind! I've already planned how I'm going to sleep in the guest bedroom with the cat when he's away...

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 14:53:33 PM »
Hi and welcome to Purrs. I'm sure others have already warned you that it is addictive. Hopefully your boyfriend will change his mind and allow Hugo (who is  :Luv: ) in the bedroom after all. I can't sleep unless there is at least one of my 4 with me  :evillaugh:

btw - Is your user name from the film?. I saw it about 6 years ago at the cinema  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 14:21:53 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: Lilja4ever

Hugo is just gorgeous!  :Luv: look forward to getting to know more about him.

Our Guides Section are very informative aren't they, hope they help  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 14:07:18 PM »
Thank you!! I've been reading lots of the behaviour guides, it's very interesting! I'm trying to read up on how to "train" Hugo when he arrives. It's funny to read about positive reinforcement and things like praise - as a teacher these are things I use with the kids. But come to think of it, it makes sense to use those methods with cats too!

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 13:57:41 PM »
:welcome:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 13:54:50 PM »
Hiya and  :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Hugo is gorgeous, and I bet you literally can't wait until the weekend  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 13:52:04 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs..... :)

Hugo is a lovely little babe, I bet you cant wait till Saturday....Only 4 more sleeps to go!  ;D ;D ;D :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Lilja4ever: glad you found us and decided to join.

How exciting that Hugo is arriving on Saturday: you'll get lots of friendly and helpful advice on here so ask away!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:09:50 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

I am the Clan Cats and Dogs Mother from the wilds of Scotland

Hugo is  :Luv2:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline lilja4ever

• Adult Cat
New cat owner saying "bonjour"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 12:06:53 PM »
Hello all,

As you can see from the title of this thread, I am a new cat owner. Well technically, I am not a cat owner yet... I'm collecting my new kitten on Saturday!  :yesss:

A bit more about myself: I'm mad about hamsters, and have three syrian hams, including one who is hopefully pregnant! (she has been moved to the study, where the kitten won't be allowed for a while).
I'm French but have been living in the UK for 5 years.
I'm a language teacher but I quit my job in a secondary school as it wasn't making me happy (understand: it was making me miserable!). So I'm now giving French tuitions and doing supply work.
I like baking!

We always had cats when I was a teenager. I had one in particular, called Nono ("short" for Oldfield) who was my little darling - he would jump from wherever he was to come for a cuddle whenever I just called his name. I miss him  :(

My boyfriend and I have been living together for the past 3 years, and most landlords we've come across are not animal-friendly. But recently we started talking about getting a cat, as our new landlords are very easy-going. Curiously, I was the one who was not sure... I was afraid of responsibility, lack of money (I'm currently job-less) etc. But we were going to maybe get a rescue cat next year.

That all changed when I went to see a friend of mine last week. One of her cats had just had a litter (I think she was going to get neutered but this accident happened), and there were 7 little 7-week old kittens in the house. My heart MELTED. One in particular held my attention: a little black and white boy who, when I took him on my lap, sat there happily, purring away and playing with my fingers! I went home and told my boyfriend I knew what I wanted for my bday (coming soon), half-joking. And he was delighted!!

So we've been getting ready for Hugo's arrival, and I am extremely excited! This week is the slowest ever... Come on Saturday!!

I registered on here because I want to be able to share my love of cats, and also get advice on how to give my new kitten the best care. Because although I had cats when I was younger, I feel I have to learn everything again!

My "little bit about myself" turned into an almost 700 pages novel - sorry about that!

Link to CatChat