Author Topic: Jasper and Zeta have arrived!  (Read 7337 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Jasper and Zeta have arrived!
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2007, 08:51:08 AM »
Milly's mum, no Star isn't persian but she does  have quite a scared nose and the bridge of it isn't quite right like it might have been broken at some stage, we are wondering if she can smell

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2007, 22:29:56 PM »
Excellent news!!
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2007, 18:18:40 PM »
one small step for man kind  :rofl: or is that feline kind  :rofl:

yes i suppose the short noses probably does affect their sense of smell.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2007, 18:17:44 PM »
Yay!!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2007, 17:47:57 PM »
Anything fishy doesnt float Zeta's boat at all - even the standby pilchards in tom sauce. Tuna made her turn her nose up like she had a bad smell under it  :rofl:

BUT, some success last night, I was all prepared to offer her some of the wafer thin chicken with a little piece of meat rolled up in it - but as I put some cut up pieces of raw beef on Jasper's plate, she started to look all excited - so I just put a piece up to her mouth and bingo - gone in seconds! You could see she was so keen to eat it, and very nearly took some from the plate, but not quite, so I think she will get there. She certainly liked the raw beef, so thats something else to add to the repertoire  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2007, 16:52:32 PM »
The salmon pate really does stink, more so than tinned fish so maybe thats what got her interest.

Is Star a persian? The short nose does seem to affect their eating habits.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2007, 15:50:09 PM »
I'm going to try that - OH gave Star some fish paste yesterday and she ate it!!  She has never eaten a single other thing since she has been with us other than hills biscuits, I really want to introduce some wet food into her diet.  went to pah at lunch time and picked up a selection of different pate type stuff, none of the others like pate types which is why I've never tried it before, but it might be a simiilar enough consistancy, who knows but I'll try

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 15:45:05 PM »
Salmon petit pate by Hi Life may tickle her taste buds!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 16:00:41 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 18:06:00 PM »
just another thing gillian, i'd try sticking to the same type of choice for a few days in a row, i know its tricky when they are eating so little but when they have a big choice it can be overwhelming and actually put them off food.

another thing to try having said that (but you dont have to try it straight away lol) is tins of sardines of mackeral in tomato sauce, many if not most cats love it..i just thought if they did like it then you might be able to add some normal cat food into it and do the gradual swapping over thing if you get my drift.

Jasper is looking better though  ;D  

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2007, 18:03:26 PM »
Aww!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 18:01:27 PM »
Heres a pic of them both on the cat scratcher snoozing away!

And a pic of Jasp, who is looking better by the day, eyes much better than they were and coat improving.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 17:28:33 PM »
Good luck!! Fingers crossed Jaspers drinking and weeing is nothing too serious.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 17:25:28 PM »
Oh, and just to add to the fun - Jasper is drinking a lot and weeing a lot -  :oh noo:

Just found something else Zeta will eat - Whiskas temptations, chicken and cheese -eh? funny combination! They are full of rubbish too, but what the hec for the time being! She won't eat them unless fed to her though  :sigh:

Lynn, I'll try the pouch food with a few garnishes of wafer thin poking out, and the rice idea, and Des I'll try chopping it up into the pouch food too - hehe - this is going to be an interesting teatime  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 13:20:08 PM »
yes or perhaps put some of the pouch food on top with the slices sticking out ??

i think we're still going to be wracking out brains some autum tho.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 13:14:57 PM »
PEbbles only ate dry food when she came, it took ages to get her to eat wet food, turned out she would only eat gourmet food - although that did have an advantage when it came to starving her for procedures, I could give Tom his Whiskas on the landing and she would walk past it rather than eat it, no matter how hungry she was!!
Gillian, have you tried chopping it up and putting it over the Whiskas pouches they said she would eat? God knows how she has managed on that as her main food - but she is still settling in, so she could be different next week.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 11:58:05 AM »
what did she eat originally desley ??

I think its easier if like you say they eat wet or even dried you can gradually add/mix a different type in bit by bit which is why the slices make it so hard.  The thing is you cant even feel too angry and the oldies for doing it, coz its been well meaning but........... Hopefully when the next generation are that age pets will be fed abit better.

Gill have you tried warming the food ? and also what about a little bit of boiled rice..long shot but some cats will take starchy foods, perhaps the shorter grain pudding rice etc might be better to try.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 11:54:58 AM »
Well, Zeta is still only eating wafer thin chicken! I got some of those Whiskas oh so meaty pouches and this morning put a little on a plate each for them. Jasper, bless him, did attempt to eat a few bits from the plate (I use those enamel plates you get from camping supply places, you know?) I've found them better for the persians than bowls. He seemed to be chasing it around the plate though, but did eat a few bits.

Zeta sniffed at the plate and you could almost see her little nose turned up in disgust!!  ;D (mind you, don't blame her - that stuff stinks!) So it was back to the wafer chicken for both of them, who happily sat there with me feeding 'em again!!

The family of the elderly couple told me about the things that they'd normally been fed on, all of which I've tried, and none of which Zeta will eat - it amazes me that thats been their main diet for all these years, with no ill effects - and they aint exactly wasting away - they are both strapping great cats  :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
It is hard trying to convince cats to eat better food - Pebbles was such a fussy eater it took me months to get her eating wet food, and then she would go off it at the drop of a hat until I tried HiLife, and she only went off her food then when she was ill.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 08:13:49 AM »
it will be very difficult for gillian though if the cat has been obviously fed all its life purely on wafer slices.  I'd be aiming at trying to get her to eat better food this YEAR and not have unrelistic hopes about getting her on cat food this next month (altho that would be great) 
I guess any food is better than NO food and she clearly will starve herself if her slices arent offered.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 23:13:02 PM »
Clapton has a thing for crappy ham slices. I knew they were bad but when I found out it has added phosphates, it made me even more worried. I sometimes chop up a small amount and sprinkle it over the food I want him to eat. Doesn't always work but it works somtimes. I find myself handfeeding him wet food at times to make him eat  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 22:26:20 PM »
Good luck with her, I do hope you can get her eating more balanced food soon!! I have to say, I struggled with Pebbles as she had only ever been fed from saucers, took a day or two to get round to pulling one of those out of the cupboard after trying a variety of bowls (never occured to me that she might not like bowls!!). Maybe that check up should be sooner rather than later, just in case there is a mouth issue for her eating oddly? I always take them rather quickly after adopting, although it is now 3 weeks rather than one cos of the insurance.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 14:32:38 PM »
what a job Gillian!!!  I don't envy you, at least the other ten eat from plates!!!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 14:32:14 PM »
What have I tried? - cooked chicken, raw beef, cooked beef, ham, whiskas pouches (sposed to like them NOT!) tuna, cooked cod, dry food (Olli), Natures menu........!

Jasp has tried everything and likes raw beef and raw heart - but he really likes the wafer thin too GROAN! he will eat dry food from my hand AND from the floor!

Zeta wouldnt eat the plain cooked chicken - only the wafer thin c  :censored: p! She won't even consider dry food!

Why do old people do that?!!  >:(  I've never had a cat that won't eat from a plate/bowl before!!!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 14:01:54 PM »
i looked for this thread and just couldnt find it  :Crazy:  (im distressed at having to pay 400 per year tax for me car after budget  :rofl:)

yes give them what ever they will eat just now, they sound like extreme cases thats for sure and this might take you months and months to gradually swap onto better food.

what all have you tried them with ?? just wet food or have you tried dried aswell ie feeding one kibble by hand ??

i dont envy your job thats for sure, its not like you can even mix wafer meat with other stuff  :doh:  this is a classis case where the oldies have pampered them and thought they were being kind  :'(

what about plain cooked chicken ? you could try to get them onto that, not ideal but better than processed...

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 13:43:03 PM »
Thanks guys! I got some a/d - wouldnt touch it!

However, I phoned the daughter in law to ask if there was any favourite food, and she thought the wafer thin chicken and ham. So out of despration I got some (wouldnt normally buy it - full of salt, preservatives etc) - BINGO! Zeta gobbled it down (from my hand!) anyway, stuffed as much as she would eat  :rofl: into her mouth.

The thing is I know she can't have just that stuff all the time, but at least its something! BUT how am I gonna get her to eat out off a plate now? If I put it on the plate she ignores it, put it to her mouth she'll eat it!

They both had a little play last night, got the fishing rod toys out  ;D and both quite active and alert - so thats a good sign isnt it?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 12:50:24 PM »
yes i was going to suggest a/d yesterday.

I think i'd push for a vet check before syringe feeding route, she doesnt know you and getting depressed the last thing you want is syringe feeding if at all possible.

there is a drug that can sucessfully stimulate appetite, its called "periactin" Its not actually specifically for that purpose but its a wonderful side effects of the drug and i used it quite a few times in ill convalesing anorexic patients.  I wander if the vet finds no physical reason for the anorexia if they might prescribe this drug for her.  Personally i always found persians more susceptable to stress i dont know what you think ?

I'd be looking to get her atleast checked today or tomorrow i think.

sounds like they pair have only been hand fed aswell (typical of elderly owners)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »
Aw bless her.  Have you tried her with some hills a/d to see if that can tempt her?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 12:36:29 PM »
OK, the're still not eating properly and I'm starting to panic now!! Its Zeta I'm most worried about, since Sat she's only had a few pieces of ham (probably about a whole small size meal overall) and another v. small meal (about half what I'd expect normallly) of cooked chicken.

I've also tried her with raw beef, tuna, cooked cod, biscuits, the whiskas pouches she's supposed to like, didnt want any of them.

She didnt eat anything this morn, tried tuna - no go.

Jasper is eating more, but still less then I think is normal, and he seems game for whatever I offer him (except funnily enough the tuna this morn!!)  - BUT he's only eating what I HAND FEED him - little devil!

Whilst Jasper seems to be coming out of his shell, Zeta seems to be sinking into depression.

Do I start syringe feeding Zeta now - or am I jumping the gun and panicing too much?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 18:49:20 PM »
i reckon that the vets explanation prob right, you'd soon know if they had dry eye and like i said shorter faced cats and dogs are more prone then normal.

I bet they both feel a world of difference in a month or so when ya got them spruced up and sorted out whats what.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 18:45:04 PM »
They're lovely, they are going to have a lovely life with you now and make lots of new furry friends  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 17:07:23 PM »
cloudy eye ?? could that be possible from a corneal ulcer and/or chronic lack of tears ?? (Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca aka dry eye is pretty common in short faced cats and dogs but im guessing you will know that LOL)

are you going to be taking them to the vet for a health check (i feel sorry for you if you are gonna be burdened with a fair few vets bills tho)

When I first spoke to the daughter in law she said that the cloudy eye was caused by damage to the optic nerve following an abcess after a fight with another cat. However, before they came to me I asked them to get the full course of cat flu and enteritis vacs done as they hadnt been boosted since they were kittens, and the vets explanation for the cloudy eye then, was that it was prob due to cat flu when he was a kitten - DILaw doesnt remember them having cat flu, but it was 13 yrs ago and she only saw the cats on visits to in laws. What yer reckon?

Yeh, gonna get them checked over once they've settled in a bit better.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 16:12:40 PM »
cloudy eye ?? could that be possible from a corneal ulcer and/or chronic lack of tears ?? (Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca aka dry eye is pretty common in short faced cats and dogs but im guessing you will know that LOL)

sounds like a mouth problem may be the girls problem, aaww shame but they have been loved in the owners own way i guess.

are you going to be taking them to the vet for a health check (i feel sorry for you if you are gonna be burdened with a fair few vets bills tho)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 16:05:37 PM »
gillian i didnt catch the reason why you've rehomed these 2 ? did you know the previous owner etc ?

anyway i wouldnt worry too much bout the appetities for the next day or so, i presume you were told of what they were eating before hand etc ?
Have you checked in her mouth that she hasnt got sore teeth and do you have feliway ?

ps i agree with you on the look of them, your gypsy etc looks better in the head/face but i am sure you'll greatly improve them once ya work your magic.

No didnt know their owners of the past 13 yrs or so, but heard about them from my friend who bred them (and bred some of mine) Their mum owner died and the elderly husband is ill himself and couldnt cope with them anymore. Funnily enough, looking at their pedigrees - Jasper has the same mum and dad as my Suzie, so brother and sister, technically - although 1 yr apart! Got feliways plugged into their room and downstairs for the rest!

The daughter in law of the owners told me that they sometimes had whiskas pouches, but mostly had fresh - when I enquired further, turns out that fresh to her means mainly wafer thin chicken and turkey hmmmmm! - but they have also been fed raw beef, and Jasper certainly seems ok with that, but you may be right about Zeta's teeth, she was eating the little bits she had, sort of like her mouth might be hurting - I'll have a look later.

Yes, I really hope to improve Jasper's gungy eyes (he's got one cloudy eye too - two different explanations for that!)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 15:13:45 PM »
gillian i didnt catch the reason why you've rehomed these 2 ? did you know the previous owner etc ?

anyway i wouldnt worry too much bout the appetities for the next day or so, i presume you were told of what they were eating before hand etc ?
Have you checked in her mouth that she hasnt got sore teeth and do you have feliway ?

ps i agree with you on the look of them, your gypsy etc looks better in the head/face but i am sure you'll greatly improve them once ya work your magic.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 15:12:54 PM »
they look lovely, hope they get their appetites back soon!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 13:57:35 PM »
Actually no Susanne - starting to get a bit worried about their appeites! Zeta, who seems more confident and eager to be out and about of the confines of their room, has hardly eaten anything since they came (Sat) All she's had are a few pieces of ham and a little cooked chicken. Yet, Jasper, who was terrified every time I came in or went out of the room, or stood up - or basically moved at all, is starting to eat more than here. He's had quite a few biscuits, some pieces of raw beef last night and some raw heart and biscuits this morning. (luckily they've both been used to having raw/fresh cooked meat)

He's finally appeared and so here he is in his full 'glory' - I have to say, although they are both lovely temperaments - they aint the best looking persians I've seen  :evillaugh: and Jasper's coat is a mess, loads of knots!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 13:13:34 PM »
Aww - poor Jasper!  He'll come around give time.  They look very cute.  How are they doing today?  Found their appetites yet?

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 15:53:56 PM »
awwww they r lovely
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 14:51:32 PM »
Aww, bless them
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 13:17:52 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat