Author Topic: Call today "Am I entitled to"  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Call today "Am I entitled to"
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 20:14:03 PM »
Just a case of desperate, illiterate youngster I imagine.

Just no sense of the difference between the words "entitled" and "need" or how hurtful the wrong word can sound to overworked, underfunded rescues :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 09:53:30 AM »
tbh insurance on cars is compulsory but loads of people don't have it

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »
Before I start, I will say this was a decent person who did the right thing but I just don't understand people's perception of rescues.

Hello, My cat was knocked over 2 days ago and is at the vet. He is going to lose his tail and may have a broken leg. The vet has estimated the bill at £400. I am a 3rd year student at xxxxxxx. Please could somebody let me know if I am entitled to anything towards the vet bill.

I should have said he was entitled to a lesson in common sense and should have got insurance which costs in student talk 10 smokes or 1/2 lager a week  :-:

Another thing is he said he phoned HQ first and they gave him our number. I hope they don't have call centre staff like another charity where they don't know which way is up  :tired:

I think what it is Mark, is that many branches have a 'discrecenary' fund and will often offer a fixed percentage to help cases like this. Our is 25% and only goes to deserving cases- that's probably why HQ forwarded him to you. It's certainly not an entitlement though!!! At least he did the right thing and got the cat to the vet though which is a lot more than some would do.

I agree with Desley too on this one- 3 of mine are insured but there was absolutely no point insuring Monty because he already had so many pre-existing conditions that the £30+ per month I was quoted wouldn't actually have covered very much! I do think it is the sensible option for most though and can't push it enough to our adopters but you can only lead a horse to water.... Plus different people have their preferred ways of doing things.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 13:32:38 PM »
I agree its the people that wouldn't imagine spending any money on their pets if an accident happened, but then why would they consider insurance if they already think this?  :shy:

I dont have insurance cant afford it at the moment and yes I have learned my lesson with Ollie  :doh: On the other hand I know my animals are going to get the vet treatment they need, even if its a lifelong commitment- that would be the downside of not having insurance  :shy: but at the end of the day I know Im still going to pay to keep my animals alive, thats my duty  :)

I do have a savings account with a "few" in it, so if anying major came up I would be able to deal with that. I think thats why Im not too bothered about insurance for now.....

Although I do have to get Macey insured again as the stupid beggers messed it up, and I got mad so left that!
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »
i disagree with compulsory insurance and it isn't always feasible - I have had to keep Sam due to changing rescues, but he was already borderline hyper-t, possible calici+ and his liver values weren't great, so insurance isn't worth it for him. And, there are so many insurance companies that someone might go with the cheapest and not be covered for everything anyway.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 13:27:17 PM »
I have met people who are adamant that anyone on benefits can get extra if they have pets

I wonder if this rumour still persists?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 13:03:08 PM »
The point is, the less money people have, the more important it is. Maybe you are 0.00001% of the pet owning population it wouldn't work for (but you would treat your cats one way or another anyway  :hug: )
The compulsory insurance would be for the people that don't plan for possible problems.

CC - I know what you mean - If it's broken, it's cheaper to bin and get a new one types  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 12:21:57 PM »
Insurance would cripple us - noone wants to give us a discount with 42 cats and 2 kittens - and 3 dogs!

We have a slush fund - OH's credit card and have always fixed first and worried about cost later and just to add our "normal" vets fees are about £400 a month for all injections. wormers etc for all of the Clan furry crew

Anything else means Beans on toast for us and Royal Canin for the Clan Kids!!!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:40:53 AM »
Some people have the impression of if it's broken, dont bother fixing it  :shy:

Yes maybe they should  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:34 AM »
There was never any mention of PTS - he just thought he was "entitled" to help with the bill is all.

Maybe there should be a law saying all pets must be insured.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:23:52 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:05:01 AM »
I would say its better to phone around and see if you can get help first, rather than just have the animal pts  :shy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Call today "Am I entitled to"
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 18:31:29 PM »
Before I start, I will say this was a decent person who did the right thing but I just don't understand people's perception of rescues.

Hello, My cat was knocked over 2 days ago and is at the vet. He is going to lose his tail and may have a broken leg. The vet has estimated the bill at £400. I am a 3rd year student at xxxxxxx. Please could somebody let me know if I am entitled to anything towards the vet bill.

I should have said he was entitled to a lesson in common sense and should have got insurance which costs in student talk 10 smokes or 1/2 lager a week  :-:

Another thing is he said he phoned HQ first and they gave him our number. I hope they don't have call centre staff like another charity where they don't know which way is up  :tired:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 18:34:02 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat