Author Topic: Words from an Animal Executioner  (Read 4452 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: Words from an Animal Executioner
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »
rescue's here may not use the same techniques but there are those who are far from no kill .

Was going to say!

This is not right at all, what stress is being caused to these animals in their last moments  :( What about the cats that are affraid of dogs, the dogs who go for cats ect and they are all together!

If this HAS to be done I think it would be better done with dogs in one and cats in another! Not like this  >:(

Although I would rather them pts humainly  :(
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
rescue's here may not use the same techniques but there are those who are far from no kill .

Totally agree with the sentiments of the post however as things do need to change and neutering and spaying is essential whilst I think in the case of the US the so called shelters really have to look at their policies of such things as rescuing the animals is great but why do so to kill them inhumanely.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 21:19:47 PM »
I read this post and found it very upsetting

Thank goodness the rescues here have a no kill policy

I adopted two rescue kittens last year (Parrot and Cody) after reading this post I picked Parrot up, cuddled and kissed her and told her how lucky she was

I sincerely hope that procedures such as this are not followed in the UK
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline MooCat

• Adult Cat
    • Myspace Musician
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 06:58:23 AM »
 Apparently my lovely Fiv lad Tom was in the sights of Rentokill before he and a few of the feral colony he belonged to on a tip in Pershore
were rescued , a lot of people think that these companies only kill rats , mice and other rodents , hes currently purring at me sitting on the computer desk .....
"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats."

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 20:03:55 PM »
I can't read it all Dawn - I skimmed. There are humane gas mixes but I doubt they are used here - In fact the humane societies are trying to get chicken farmers to use a proper gas mix. I'm not sure what gas they are using but I saw a video on youtube once where they used lorry exhaust fumes  :'( - they show dogs with wagging tails being put in a bunker thing and cats put in with them  :'(
It really opened my eyes and made me realise the image of America is far removed from the reality of the third-world practises that go on there.

I think as with a lot of things, compassion goes out of the window with a lot of these so called animal rescues  :(  I think if the gasses were humane and they just gently went to sleep it wouldn't be so bad and not all crammed in together scared and vulnerable, I really hope the law changes  :'(  :'(  I think the only way is to make it law all pets are spayed and neutered....no excuses!! This has to be the only answer for this to stop and it will take a long, long time as you've still got the ferals/strays etc but it's a move in the right direction both in this country and abroad. What I do know is, the day things stop getting to me, I know I shouldn't be involved in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 18:38:00 PM »
I can't read it without being reduced to tears, I've told a couple of people about it today and ended up crying....it is an eye opener even for me, I was always falsely under the impression they just went to sleep when they gassed......how wrong could I be  :'(  :'(

I can't read it all Dawn - I skimmed. There are humane gas mixes but I doubt they are used here - In fact the humane societies are trying to get chicken farmers to use a proper gas mix. I'm not sure what gas they are using but I saw a video on youtube once where they used lorry exhaust fumes  :'( - they show dogs with wagging tails being put in a bunker thing and cats put in with them  :'(
It really opened my eyes and made me realise the image of America is far removed from the reality of the third-world practises that go on there.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 18:22:52 PM »
 :( :( :( :(
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 17:47:42 PM »
I can't read it without being reduced to tears, I've told a couple of people about it today and ended up crying....it is an eye opener even for me, I was always falsely under the impression they just went to sleep when they gassed......how wrong could I be  :'(  :'(

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 16:57:24 PM »
Ive just read this topic and it reduced me to tears, if only people would spay and neuter as Dawn says then there wouldnt be this problem, someone has to do this horrible job and i know i couldnt do it no matter what, but this poor person at least gives them a taste of love and affection before the hateful deed, the human race has a lot to answer for >:(
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »
T, I didn't say the man was trying to encourage spay/neuter...I'm saying this is what it all boils down to because people don't get them done.  If they did, we wouldn't have animals dying needlessly because there's nowhere for them to go....I think the post is relevant to any forum that promotes animal welfare and I found it heartbreaking.  The post isn't put on here to upset but to open people's eyes and to realise this does go on whether it's by a needle or gas and not everyone who visits Purrs knows the importance of neutering!!!  Thanks Des...I did mean to post that Purrs isn't solely used by people in the UK  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:31:53 AM »
Just dont see the point of this post, the man is clearly NOT trying to encourage spay/neuter or he wouldnt be releasing cats in the upmarket area to go and breed some more.
I unlike most do not find it upsetting to read because I spend my life doing what I am able to do and posting speculative posts that will upset others is not going to achieve anything, the people on Purrs generally know the importance of neutering already.
This story is not about the animals but the executioner.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:58:51 AM »
That was absolutely hearbreaking to read, and yes I agree that it all boils down to the spay/neuter issue which seems to be apparent in many countries, of course as well as in the UK.

I imagine vets feel this way when they are asked to pts a healthy animal, just because someone doesn't want to look after it any more  :'(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »
What a terribly sad post. And what an awful thing for the original poster to have to deal with.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »
That was incredibly upsetting to read - but it is society at fault for that, not him - and at least the person who has that job does as much as he can to give the animals love first, not all people in that position would. Unfortunately gas chambers are used in the US because it is a cheaper option, but I know there are petitions to stop it and it isn't used in every shelter.
Gill, dont forget we have people from different countries on here (and guests from different countries), so this will be relevant to some people, and just because it is a different country doens't mean we shouldnt be informed about it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: THE SHAME OF SHELTER GAS CHAMBERS
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 04:13:59 AM »
I think you've got the end of the stick of the point I'm trying to get across or probably haven't read the post  :tired:  What goes on in other shelters all boils down to the same thing, people not spaying/neutering...it doesn't matter what country we're in, this highlights what goes on in every country, animals dying needlessly  :'(  I've now changed the title and deleted the bit about trying to put a stop to inhumane gassing of animals. 

On to the point about the RSPCA as that has to be the Charity you're referring to, although it has nothing to do with my post I might add, but the only way to get things changed and problems addressed is to complain to the Head Office instead of everyone whinging about it on forums...I'm sorry but that doesn't achieve anything!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:28:10 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: THE SHAME OF SHELTER GAS CHAMBERS
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 03:49:36 AM »
I think we here should concern ourselves with what happens in this country,,,,,,,,,,we have enough problems of our own and that includes one large charity that accepts the publics donations and then does very little when people ring their help number.

We have cats that are dying because of this and suffering in terrible circumstances. Lets sought out whats going on on our own doorstep FIRST.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Words from an Animal Executioner
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 01:07:06 AM »
This is absolutely heartbreaking to read but sadly it goes on and will continue until people get their animals spayed and neutered  :'(  :'(  :'(

This was found posted on Craigslist under PETS in Raleigh.
Date: 2006-08-16, 12:03PM EDT

"Yes, I Gas Dogs and Cats for a Living. I'm an Animal Control officer in a very small town in central North Carolina. I'm in my mid thirties, and have been working for the town in different positions since high school.
There is not much work here, and working for the county provides good pay and benefits for a person like me without a higher education. I'm the person you all write about how horrible I am.
I'm the one that gasses the dogs and cats and makes them suffer. I'm the one that pulls their dead corpses out smelling of Carbon Monoxide and throws them into green plastic bags. But I'm also the one that hates my job and hates what I have to do.
First off, all you people out there that judge me, don't. God is judging me, and I know I'm going to --heck--. Yes, I'm going to --heck--. I wont lie, it's despicable, cold, cruel and I feel like a serial killer. I'm not all to blame, if the law would mandate spay and neuter, lots of these dogs and cats wouldn't be here for me to gas. I'm the devil, I know it, but I want you people to see that there is another side to me the devil Gas Chamber man.
The shelter usually gasses on Friday morning.
Friday's are the day that most people look forward to, this is the day that I hate, and wish that time will stand still on Thursday night. Thursday night, late, after nobody's around, my friend and I go through a fast food line, and buy 50 dollars worth of cheeseburgers and fries, and chicken. I'm not allowed to feed the dogs on Thursday, for I'm told that they will make a mess in the gas chamber, and why waste the food.
So, Thursday night, with the lights still closed, I go into the saddest room that anyone can every imagine, and let all the doomed dogs out out their cages.
I have never been bit, and in all my years doing this, the dogs have never fought over the food. My buddy and I, open each wrapper of cheeseburger and chicken sandwich, and feed them to the skinny, starving dogs.
They swallow the food so fast, that I don't believe they even taste it. There tails are wagging, and some don't even go for the food, they roll on their backs wanting a scratch on their bellys. They start running, jumping and kissing me and my buddy. They go back to their food, and come back to us. All their eyes are on us with such trust and hope, and their tails wag so fast, that I have come out with black and blues on my thighs.. They devour the food, then it's time for them to devour some love and peace. My buddy and I sit down on the dirty, pee stained concrete floor, and we let the dogs jump on us. They lick us, they put their butts in the air to play, and they play with each other. Some lick each other, but most are glued on me and my buddy.
I look into the eyes of each dog. I give each dog a name.
They will not die without a name.
I give each dog 5 minutes of unconditional love and touch.
I talk to them, and tell them that I'm so sorry that tomorrow they will die a gruesome, long, torturous death at the hands of me in the gas chamber.
Some tilt their heads to try to understand.
I tell them, that they will be in a better place, and I beg them not to hate me.
I tell them that I know I'm going to --heck--, but they will all be playing with all the dogs and cats in heaven.
After about 30 minutes, I take each dog individually, into their feces filled concrete jail cell, and pet them and scratch them under their chins. Some give me their paw, and I just want to die. I just want to die. I close the jail cell on each dog, and ask them to forgive me. As my buddy and I are walking out, we watch as every dog is smiling at us and them don't even move their heads. They will sleep, with a full belly, and a false sense of security.
As we walk out of the doomed dog room, my buddy and I go to the cat room.
We take our box, and put the very friendly kittens and pregnant cats in our box.
The shelter doesn't keep tabs on the cats, like they do the dogs.
As I hand pick which cats are going to make it out, I feel like I'm playing God, deciding whose going to live and die.
We take the cats into my truck, and put them on blankets in the back.
Usually, as soon as we start to drive away, there are purring cats sitting on our necks or rubbing against us.
My buddy and I take our one way two hour trip to a county that is very wealthy and they use injection to kill animals.
We go to exclusive neighborhoods, and let one or two cats out at a time.
They don't want to run, they want to stay with us. We shoo them away, which makes me feel sad.
I tell them that these rich people will adopt them, and if worse comes to worse and they do get put down, they will be put down with a painless needle being cradled by a loving veterinarian. After the last cat is free, we drive back to our town.
It's about 5 in the morning now, about two hours until I have to gas my best friends.
I go home, take a shower, take my 4 anti-anxiety pills and drive to work.. I don't eat, I can't eat. It's now time, to put these animals in the gas chamber. I put my ear plugs in, and when I go to the collect the dogs, the dogs are so excited to see me, that they jump up to kiss me and think they are going to play.
I put them in the rolling cage and take them to the gas chamber. They know. They just know. They can smell the death.. They can smell the fear. They start whimpering, the second I put them in the box. The boss tells me to squeeze in as many as I can to save on gas. He watches. He knows I hate him, he knows I hate my job. I do as I'm told. He watches until all the dogs, and cats (thrown in together) are fighting and screaming. The sounds is very muffled to me because of my ear plugs. He walks out, I turn the gas on, and walk out.
I walk out as fast as I can. I walk into the bathroom, and I take a pin and draw blood from my hand. Why? The pain and blood takes my brain off of what I just did.
In 40 minutes, I have to go back and unload the dead animals. I pray that none survived, which happens when I overstuff the chamber. I pull them out with thick gloves, and the smell of carbon monoxide makes me sick. So does the vomit and blood, and all the bowel movements. I pull them out, put them in plastic bags.
They are in heaven now, I tell myself. I then start cleaning up the mess, the mess, that YOU PEOPLE are creating by not spay or neutering your animals. The mess that YOU PEOPLE are creating by not demanding that a vet come in and do this humanely. You ARE THE TAXPAYERS, DEMAND that this practice STOP!
So, don't call me the monster, the devil, the gasser, call the politicians, the shelter directors, and the county people the devil. Heck, call the governor, tell him to make it stop.
As usual, I will take sleeping pills tonight to drown out the screams I heard in the past, before I discovered the ear plugs. I will jump and twitch in my sleep, and I believe I'm starting to hallucinate.
This is my life. Don't judge me. Believe me, I judge myself enough."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:20:20 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Link to CatChat