Author Topic: A question to those with experience of having lots of cats! /w pics!  (Read 2198 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: A question to those with experience of having lots of cats! /w pics!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 19:33:31 PM »
Nothing to say that is helpful as I'm a 1 cat woman and never had a kitten - only when I was 3 months old, so I can't remember. 

They are lovely cats and it looks like you are doing a great job taking care of them.

Good luck.

Mary

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »
Aw what little cutie pies, and mum cat looks as proud as punch!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 12:19:02 PM »
Stunning  :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »
aww bless  :Luv: :Luv: the mum cat looks like my Pepper!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Felix Felicis

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 05:15:34 AM »
Some new pictures of the tiny furballs  :Luv2:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 10:05:16 AM »
All the cats look very content in piccies and everything so spic and span.  Yes I'm sure you are a little grateful to be unemployed atm!

So glad mum had such a safe loving place to bring her young uns  :)  Are neighbours helping out at all financially?  I would guess not  :-:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 19:05:52 PM »
Im glad mum has moved in, she looks settled! It would be safest tho to keep her indoors, no outdoor looo trips, if she were to go missing or get hit by a car then her babies would need handrearing, aswell as the worry she can come into heat anytime from now!  :scared: Even tho she is nursing she can start calling again  :tired:

If they get grumbly at food time can you feed them in seperate areas or different sides of the room

Offline Felix Felicis

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 17:38:50 PM »
Thanks and thanks again to all who helped us with advice :)

I think the spray is normal frontline spray. I'll take a picture of the bottle later but the neighbour is borrowing it for her little kitten at the mo so will do it tomorrow.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 17:33:59 PM »
I think you have done a marvellous job and the info on the spray is good....it maybe a special one?

The cats look lovely and the mother and her kittens so relaxed ........well done  ;D ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 16:46:17 PM »
All kitties are  :Luv2: :Luv2: Felix Felicis
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Felix Felicis

• Adult Cat
Re: A question to those with experience of having lots of cats!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 14:32:00 PM »
Yes well I guess the Mum might see this as home, it could be a problem as we really weren't planning on having 3 cats but I guess we might not have a choice now  :innocent:

With our friends cat, he is away in Canada for 1 month and that is the duration we are going to have him at the house. Unfortunately his house is about 30 miles away and we don't have a car so it's really not possible for us to look after him at the house.

His options were to put it in a kennel which personally I don't think is very nice for a whole month when he could have the freedom of going outside here and getting a lot more attention from people he already knows. He also could have gone to his sisters place but that is very close to a busy road and the cat has spent less time there. The other option was to bring him here so that's what happened, obviously at the time we hadn't expected a mother + 4 babys in the house :shocked:

He seems pretty happy anyway but he doesn't interact much with the other cats which is a shame as him and my male used to be friends. It's only been 4 days so far though so maybe over the course of time they will get better together.

Me and OH were in Norway for a week together at Easter, and said friend stayed in our place with our cat + his cat for 1 week to look after them both and they were both having fun then apparently.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: A question to those with experience of having lots of cats!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 14:25:26 PM »
It all happens at once doesn't it? LOL!

Cats generally prefer to be on home territory so the cat you are looking after is probably a bit unsettled, especially with all the additional cats and kits at your house. He may have been happy enough to be there before, but he was probably kittenish himself then and kittens tend to be more adaptable. At home he is the only cat and has obviously got used to that now and isnt relishing being somewhere with lots of others. I think if you look after him again it would be better if it was in his own home (if thats feasibile - is it close by?) where you can go in an feed him twice a day, and do litter trays etc.

I imagine the mum cat will see your home as 'hers' now - lets face it, she knew exactly where to bring the kittens so they would be safe didnt she?  ;)

Offline Felix Felicis

• Adult Cat
A question to those with experience of having lots of cats! /w pics!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 13:36:51 PM »
Hey there :)

Allow me to explain the situation at my house at the moment.

Currently we own two cats. One is a 5 year old male (Mitsy, were told he was a girl until we took him to vets at 6 months, didn't know much about cats back then :)), and the other is a 4-5 month old female (Jessie). Our friend is on holiday at the moment so we are also taking care of his cat at the house. This cat is slightly under 1 year, male (Jim). He has visited the house many times before, to play with our male while our friend visited. They were both friendly towards each other. He hasn't visited since we got the kitten however.

To top this off, our neighbours cat (Lucy) decided their house was far too noisy and crowded with drunk people and thought it best to bring her four x 2 week old kittens into our house to nest! So we currently have 8 cats in our 2 bed flat, lucky 4 of them are tiny!

The mother spends most of the time in "her room" which is basically just for her and the kittens. She occasionally goes out for toilet or comes out of the room for food though we do put food/water in the room with her.

The rest of the cats have their own spots. The visiting male goes under the sofa, our kitten at the top of the cat tree, and our male goes wherever he wants  :evillaugh:

They all seem reasonably happy with the situation but there are a few hisses/growls when they are feeding etc.

I really just want to be reassured that none of the cats are going to get really annoyed at the situation. Our male is very chilled and friendly to all cats except strange males spraying near the house. The kitten is a scatty happy kitten. I'm mostly concerned about our friends cat as he doesn't seem as "comfortable" here as he used to. Before he would run around with our cat and play loads but now hes a lot more chilled though he does seem happy and always enjoys a stoke or two as he goes in and out and purrs a bit. The female I am guessing will stay no matter what her feelings towards the other cats as this is the place she deemed safest for her kittens. The other cats don't bother her in "her room" anyway!

I also wonder if anyone could tell me, after the kittens have been homed, if the mother is likely to think of our house as her home or if she will go back to her owners (given that the father of her kittens that she grew up with still lives there).

What a spot I have got myself into! Right now I even feel a bit lucky to be unemployed  :Crazy:

Anyway, I know you guys love the pics so here's a few of our lot!

Mitsy and Jessie test driving the new sofa:

Sofacat:

Everything is calm...

Or not!

Cat trees are definately worth 30 quid!

Jims favourite spot, we think he's half maine coon/nfc as he has very distinct lynx tips!

And lastly the stress free mother with recently de-flead kittens!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 16:30:20 PM by Felix Felicis »

Link to CatChat