Author Topic: How did your cats react to a new cat in the home?  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: How did your cats react to a new cat in the home?
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 16:50:24 PM »
Tabitha Jane sounds as if she had serious tortietude :rofl:
The semi-feral family who lived at my parents years ago included a young tom who stayed with his Mum and Dad.  When new kittens arrived we'd sometimes catch him sneakily pushing them off the door step, one by one, looking as if butter wouldn't melt :naughty:.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
Tabitha Jane, a torty I had many years ago, would sit on top of the fridge for about three days after a new kitten was introduced to the house (a far too frequent occurrence in those days - I ended up with 8). She would stare down, owl-eyed at it, following its every move.

After a few days she would come down and treat the kitten as an animated cat toy for a few days. She would stalk it, toss it in the air and generally assume it was there for her amusement.

When the kitten was finally allowed outside, she would start a game of chasings with it, round and round the house and yard. Then she would rush toward the road at high speed and stop dead, hoping the kitten would over-shoot and run onto the road. She had worked out the road was dangerous, the naughty tortie, and so would use it to try to rid herself of this interloper. Unfortunately for her, it was a very quiet road, and she never did work out she had to wait for a car to be coming  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nice pix there!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 10:48:46 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline alison10

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »
They are both very handsome.  :Luv:
Loving mum to Cassie, Ernie, LB, Trio and Harry

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 01:42:10 AM »
Mr Pickering is so lovely!  :Luv2: And I swear that Dougie gets more handsome every time I see him!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 00:46:22 AM »
...and just to even things up, here's one of Dougie enjoying one of our hideous green cushions:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 00:31:02 AM »
:scared: It's cameraphone aura I think!
I secretly knew you wouldn't be able to sleep until you'd seen a pic...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 00:29:34 AM »
I know it's cruel to post this while Helen is asleep, :naughty: butHopefully this is a pic of (Mr.) Pickering:

I was actually waiting up for it  :innocent:  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 00:27:43 AM »
Mr Pickering is  :Luv: I think maybe I've turned psychic as I can see his aura :naughty:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 00:23:41 AM »
We should still have plenty of time for Dougie cuddles! :Luv2: He's not a massive affection seeker though he does like a fuss so would have to make sure he doesn't feel left out.

I know it's cruel to post this while Helen is asleep, :naughty: butHopefully this is a pic of (Mr.) Pickering:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 00:27:37 AM by Baggy »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 19:10:54 PM »
Dougie was in a rescue with 7 other cats and apparently was fine with them, and potential new cat likes cats and ignores them if they hiss.
I know the only way to find out is to try...but then there's no going back!
We have enough room in the house that they could avoid one another if necessary, but it's the thought of him giving up on lap and bedtime cuddles 'cos of another cat that I keep thinking about...
My OH thinks that all would be fine given time.

As long as you can still commit cuddle time to him per what he wants then he shouldnt mind sharing, personally i think when you cant give them all the time they need its one too many!
Im pushing my lot with what iv taken on so as much as id like another it wouldnt be fair however when Dexter finally finds a home it would probably be ok  :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 19:04:12 PM »
I'm sure Dougie will be just fine with his new pal given a bit of time  :) Are there any pics of potential new adoptee?
:shocked: Helen, you're so shallow..."Yeah, yeah, Dougie will be fine, now where are the pics?" :rofl:  I'll see what I can do ;)
The potential adoptee is a he, approx 18 years old, called Pickering (or as OH keeps saying to me, "Mr." Pickering).  He's in a small rescue in Surrey near where Dougie hails from.

Yep, that's me  :naughty: I'm actually a bit shocked that you would post such a thread WITHOUT pics  :evillaugh: :waiting:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 18:51:16 PM »
I'm sure Dougie will be just fine with his new pal given a bit of time  :) Are there any pics of potential new adoptee?
:shocked: Helen, you're so shallow..."Yeah, yeah, Dougie will be fine, now where are the pics?" :rofl:  I'll see what I can do ;)
The potential adoptee is a he, approx 18 years old, called Pickering (or as OH keeps saying to me, "Mr." Pickering).  He's in a small rescue in Surrey near where Dougie hails from.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 17:55:48 PM »
How exciting  :wow: I'm sure Dougie will be just fine with his new pal given a bit of time  :) Are there any pics of potential new adoptee? Where is he/she coming from?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 16:04:06 PM »
I too think it will be fine... Im sure if Dougie enjoys his cuddles etc that wont change!  ;) :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 15:55:25 PM »
Dougie was in a rescue with 7 other cats and apparently was fine with them, and potential new cat likes cats and ignores them if they hiss.
I know the only way to find out is to try...but then there's no going back!
We have enough room in the house that they could avoid one another if necessary, but it's the thought of him giving up on lap and bedtime cuddles 'cos of another cat that I keep thinking about...
My OH thinks that all would be fine given time.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 15:38:21 PM »
It very much depends on the nature of the cats in question and whether they have been used to a multicat household. This year I have introduced 4 new cats into my household (I now have eight)  with a month or so inbetween them and I haven't really had a problem. I think my original 4 just gave up in the end.  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 15:40:07 PM by moira »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 15:33:55 PM »
Your not being daft worrying, just caring about Dougie!  :Luv: :hug:

My cats are so used to it lol! They all react in different ways... depends on the temprement of the new cat etc!  ;)

Most of mine usually hiss and avoid the new cat... Ive only done one confinement before intro's in this house and that was with Blackie my ex feral!

If you feel the time is right then I dont see any reason to hang fire.... Some cats could live with you for years and not take to a new one... just depends as I said! Good Luck in whatever you decide!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
How did your cats react to a new cat in the home?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 15:29:35 PM »
There is a possibility that our feline family might be expanding...:shify:
Dougie Meowser has been here for three months now and seems very settled, and has settled into a good routine. 
We have seen an oldie who we are quite taken with, but I'm really worried that as Dougie has only been here a relatively short time that he'll be upset if another cat moves in soon. 
I know if they are introduced properly they will probably be fine as Dougie has seemed ok (if a bit hissy) with the neighbourhood cats he's encountered, as long as they aren't aggressive.  Am I being daft to worry?

Link to CatChat