Author Topic: Holiday Cottages / the Blue Cross  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Holiday Cottages / the Blue Cross
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 09:34:53 AM »

They usually holiday between late Oct and Early April .
There are wood pidgeons,, hawks, game birds, ducks, (Stream at bottom of garden) foxes, squirrels, hedgehogs. I do worry though what would happen if they moved as the wildlife have come to rely on the family. They could of course leave their home to me. and I would perhaps gradually reduce the feeds so they were not so reliant .
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:20:17 AM »
Peanuts ?

I hope it was for your winter holiday!  :evillaugh:

What do they have in the summer? (or are they chopped peanuts?)

I just put out "Mixed wild bird seed" - fill up the feeder in the tree + the ground feeder + some on the back patio for the birds that won't eat out of a feeder + some on the grass as the woodpigeons prefer foraging for the seeds  ;D

Any left over wet cat food + any dry food the cats won't eat for the hedgies. + a bowl of water
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:40 AM »
feed hedgehogs & birds as well!

You think that is a lot. When I mentioned the huge Ginger cat, there were 3 cats all had totally different diets, the rest of the instructions were:-

PEANUTS    PEANUTS & SULTANAS  SULTANAS  P.M. ONLY
THE CATS HAVE A BOWL OF FRESH WATER IN THE BATH.

OUTSIDE –
PEANUTS IN THE TREE AND ON THE SQUARE STONE WHICH WE ON THE GROUND

A SMALL PILE OF PEANUTS & SULTANAS ON THE GROUND NEAR THE WATER BOWL.

PEANUTS IN THE HANGING BIRD FEEDER

FEW SULTANAS IN THE BIRD BATH

PEANUTS ON THE 2 BIRD TABLES AND OVER THE FENCE

A FEW PEANUTS  AND SULTANAS ON THE LAWN NEAR THE POND NEAR THE LITTLE PINK ROSE BUSH.

FEW SULTANAS ON THE STONE TO THE RIGHT OF THE DECANTER IT WHICH WE HAVE SPRAYED WITH A BROWN MARK ON THE CORNER

PEANUTS IN THE LITTLE NEST FEEDER ON THE FENCE BEHIND THE POND

A FEW PEANUTS AND SULTANAS ON THE STONE UNDERNEATH THE NEST FEEDER BY THE WATER DECANTER

P M ONLY FISH FOOD IN THE POND IF THE FISH ARE ON TOP.

BISCUITS AND SULTANAS ALSO ON BIRD TABLE BEHIND CARAVAN

'MY CAT' BISCUITS ON TOP ON THE GROUND. IN THE CORNER FOR THE FOXES, A TIN OF CAT FOOD

IF THERE IS A POWER CUT AND THE COOKER CLOCK FLASHES, PLEASE PRESS 'COOK PERIOD' AND 'END TIME' TOGETHER AND SET THE TIME WITH THE - AND + BUTTONS. IF IT IS BLEEPING, PLEASE PRESS 'MANUAL'.
THE POST BOX IS ON THE FENCE.
BIN OUT MON EVE FOR TUES AM
TAKE POST IN
OPEN & CLOSE CURTAINS

I am sure you can imagine how long it has taken me to prepare this posting.

I typed the instruction and colour coded them for ease, but usually by the second visit I easily remember. But the words are highlighted in the colour not typed

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:06:13 PM by Ela »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 08:05:49 AM »
I know what you mean Ela. I always used to go away twice a year for proper holidays + other short breaks. Also I was out at work all day. Since moving here, for various reasons like setting the business up, we  haven't had a break for almost 3 years!. I am with the cats all the time so it's probably harder for me than them. I know as soon as you go out, they sleep most of the time anyway. We had planned a holday at xmas but it didn't happen as we were having more work done on the house. We planned a spring break but a contract came up so OH had to work. We are determined to get a break this year. My neighbour Daph has offered - I always used to look after her cat Gershwin and she is always saying she is happy to feed mine. What she doesn't realise is she will have to feed 3 different foods + coley (I used to precook it and Gill used to take a portion out of the freezer in the morning and put t in the fridge ready for the evening!), clean out trays, top up drinkwell,  feed hedgehogs & birds as well!

Anyway, like you say everyone needs a break.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »
If I can leave the kitties

I know some people will say Oh! I can't go on holiday I won't leave my pets. However, as you know I adore mine but I do think a holiday is important as we all need to recharge our batteries. I am sure you will find a purrfect place or the purrfect person to care for your little ones. I go to peoples houses and care for their cats and even the most robust or timid cats within a couple of days are very happy, I find that often cats love the hand that feeds them. So many times an owner has said you can't do this with the cat or that, but I find I can. I remember once I was caring for a huge Ginger boy who to say the least was robust. I was told in no uncertain terms to keep my hands away from him as he would have me. Anyone one day I found him laying on the bed and as I was gently talking to him I started to stroke him. What I had been told completely went out of my head, I just automatically gave him fuss. He was absolutely fine and loved it. It was only very much later in the day when I remembered what I had been told. When the owner came back I told her and she just could not believe it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:23:12 PM by Ela »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 23:21:12 PM »
The search isn't working  >:(

I was thinking of renting a place in Northern Portugal later in the year. I had looked at the site before and was quite interested - I went a few years ago and it's lovely. We stayed in Porto but there is a lovely castle in Guimarães and I wouldn't mind a nice quiet break somewhere - If I can leave the kitties

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 21:32:37 PM »
Hi got the email too,

lovely to know where whe can take our pets.  Do you think they will let me take o/h's rats as well? :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 20:26:53 PM »
Thats who me and Kocka went on holiday with when we went to Devon for her last Christmas.  ;D

However do not assume you can take a cat when it says pets allowed cos when I checked they had to check with the owner. Luckily she had two cats of her own and was great  ;D ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Holiday Cottages / the Blue Cross
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 20:21:10 PM »
The Blue Cross has teamed up with Cottages4You to bring you an amazing range of over 15,000 holiday properties across the UK, France, Ireland, Spain, Portugal and Italy.

Stay close to home and discover the countryside on your doorstep, or explore further afield. Choose from a majestic castle in Scotland for you and 20 friends, a cosy cottage for two in the Lake District, or a fabulous villa with private pool in Europe. Cottages4you offer a variety of stays that include 2, 3, and 4 night short breaks and of course week long holidays. Cottages4you are sure to have the perfect property for you.

Many of the properties accept pets, and 10 per cent of your holiday property value will be donated to The Blue Cross. Since the beginning of the relationship, Cottages4you have donated £2,158 to The Blue Cross, and thanks to you this amount is still rising.

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/GoShopping/Holiday_cottages.asp
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat