Author Topic: Flora British Blue 13 yrs old, Kent, trying to rehome via CP  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Flora British Blue 13 yrs old, Kent, trying to rehome via CP
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 10:22:13 AM »
Fingers crossed you can find someone for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 20:32:14 PM »
  Its hard to transmit via one cat to anotehr, but then I am no vet! Perhaps someone else can make this all abit clearer.

Ta

I didnt think that was right so i have just looked it up
Michelle xx

Transmission
FHV-1 is shed through the discharge from an infected cat's eyes, nose, and mouth. Contact with these secretions is a potential mode of transmission. The most common mode of transmission appears to be contact with contaminated objects that an infected cat has touched or sneezed on including cages, food and water bowls, litter trays, pet owner's clothing, and the pet owner's hands.
FHV-1 can be transmitted by direct contact with an infected cat's mouth, nose, or eye discharge. Several days of close contact are necessary for infection to occur.

Sneezing and coughing can spread the virus as far as 4 feet.

Many cats that are infected with FHV-1 never completely get rid of the virus. These cats are known as latent carriers. Even though they may not show symptoms, they harbor the virus in their nerve cells. Latent carriers spread the infection and are a major source of new infections.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 20:15:52 PM »
Thanks.......I was sorta guessing that was the missing word but didnt know what the effects were.

I do hope she gets a home soon  ;D

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 20:10:18 PM »
Its Feine Herpes Virus which is an upper respiratory disease like cat flu.  Stress makes it much worse, there is no cure, once they get it its there for life.  Its hard to transmit via one cat to anotehr, but then I am no vet! Perhaps someone else can make this all abit clearer.

Ta
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 19:55:32 PM »
What a gorgeous cat  :wow:

What is FHV? Feline H.........Virus?

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Flora British Blue 13 yrs old, Kent, trying to rehome via CP
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 19:52:55 PM »
Hi all
I am posting this on behalf of a lady who we are trying to help direct rehome her British Blue puss of 13 yrs. Pls take a minute to read and see if you may be able to help out.  Any infor pls get in touch with Lee or me via Canterbury CP.  Thanks alot

Flora is a pedigree British Blue, who was rescued by the local CP a few years ago. She had been mentioned in the local paper, at the time her name was Holly. She had been left behind after a house move. When we got her we were told she was about 11 years old, so she is now approximately 13 years of age

She is a very affectionate cat, but is best in a one to one household. She is quite nervy and is not keen on other animals in the same house, probably she would not do well with small children either. Flora has FHV that she sneezes and this makes a mess in her surroundings, a new owner must be prepared for this.

As we are moving to France we will not be allowed to take her into the country with us, they are extremely strict about all pets being in 100% good health.

FHV is not infectious to other cats, but it causes her to have weepy eyes and to sneeze a lot. It can be stress related; in a quiet environment with no other animals she may be a lot better. It is not a condition that causes her to be distressed and she does not suffer from it all the time.. The sneezing however produces a brown mucus which needs to be cleaned up before it dries, otherwise it can be hard to remove. Although it is not infectious, the French authorities will not allow a cat with the condition to come into the country.

Flora is very much an indoor puss, not too worried about going outside, so she would be ideal for a person who lived in a flat, or lived near a busy road where you would not normally think of taking on a cat.

Flora is up to date with vac, neutered and is chipped.

It would be less stressful for Flora to be direct rehomed then her having to go into a pen so if you feel you could offer our dear Flora a new home in her senior years,

please contact Lee on email lmannering06@aol.com

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat