Author Topic: Squitty bum ...  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Squitty bum ...
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 08:35:32 AM »
Hope things stay ok for her now xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 22:36:24 PM »
 :crossed: Hope the pancur sorts them naughty worms out and gets rid of that sore bum for good!  ;) :hug:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 22:37:00 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 22:33:29 PM »
Another update for you guys ...

We took her to the vets on Satruday as we'd noticed they'd started to go loose again.

The vet was very nice and he said (like you guys did!) that it sounded like worms - and that due to her being in a cat sanctury she just needed another dose.

So we've been giving her Panacur for the 3 days - and all seems to be ok - will just have to see how she is now she's finished her course.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 13:50:04 PM »
welcome to the world of anxious Purrs poo watchers ;D

glad to hear your own watch seems to be nearly over
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 13:39:30 PM »
Glad to hear that things seem to be improving  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 13:37:07 PM »
Hi guys, thought I'd give you a quick update.

We think that her squitty bum issues appear to be down to her being in a new environment and us feeding her different brand food - the chicken we have been feeding her from Saturday for her breakfast and tea appears to be doing the trick.

She was going at least 2 times a day and they were very runny, now she's only going once a day and they're clearly getting how they should be, didnt see any mucas in the last one - the joy of being a cat owner  :rofl:

We're going to see what we go home to tonight and check the litter trays and see what we do after that - the only trouble we can see if that our little miss will want nothing but chicken to eat even when she is fully better  ;)

If we dont need to take her, we will be asking the vet to 'trim her trousers' when we do formally adopt her and take her along to be chipped - might as well get as much out of the vet trip as possible!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 18:44:59 PM »
I would take a sample with you, they can test for various nasties.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 18:09:49 PM »
Dear all,

Many thanks for all your helpful replies - I have to be careful what I do as she's technically not our cat yet, but think it may be on the safe side to get her in at the vets to let them have a look at her (do you know whether any stools would need to be taken for this for the vet to check?) as if she needs any treatment they would pay not us at the moment (though we always make a large donation when we adopt)

Angie - your comment about 'trimming her trousers' - we have got a trimmer, but are a bit hesitent to do it ourselves as a. she's not ours yet and b. to be honest I'm not quite sure what bit and just how much to trim - her fur is about 2" long at the back.

Sorry I've not answered earlier ... been threatened by the next door neighbour all because I asked him to turn his music down - police and env. health aware - so am only now able to type without shaking!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 17:48:17 PM »
When I got Allice, the fosterer had already wormed her but I had to worm her 3 or 4 more times, as dabs said, 2 weeks apart (the minmum gap between doses - my vet recommended it) before they were completely gone.

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 13:58:12 PM »
Mucas indicates colitis, this is usually with a heavy worm burden. If she was done two weeks ago I would do her again, but with milbmax or drontal. It is not uncommon to worm cats with a heavy worm load, 2 weekly till they are sorted. Remember that a wormer may make things slightly worse to begin with as I have found out to my cost!  :sick:

Were her stools ok in the rescue? The other thing is if she was straying and scavenging she could have colitis from that. You can give her a sensitive food to help settle things down.

I woudl intially starve for 24 hours, feed fish or chicken for another 24-48 and then put her on a sensitive diet and the gradually reintroduce your diet of choice.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »
As mark says strong hold does not do tape worm. Cats can have heavy worm burdens and quite often can come with worms despite being wormed at the rescue. Normal routine is to starve for 24 hours, if you have some prokolin paste or equivalent give her that then feed with bland food such as boiled fish or chicken little and often.
Innoculations can sometimes cause problems.

have you spoke to the rescue, they may well have a stock of prokolin.
Stress, change of diet also can make then prone to squitty bums.

if she is long haired trim her trousers to make it easier to clean.

mucous is not too good though, so she might need some antibiotics so see how she is tomorrow. Make sure she is drinking enough - only water not milk. I think we tend to forget how stressful it is for them to be moved.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »
Also stronghold doesn't work on tapeworm - you can sometimes see little flakes around their exit.

Not sure what food you were giving her but some cats get upset stomachs with high wheat food such as go-cat, whiskas dry, supermarket own brand dry (probably with good reason as cats aren't designed to process wheat)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:19:27 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »
Feeding her different food could be the reason why, some cats can tolerate it, some cats can't. I would put her back on the food the rescue was eating after the chicken has finished
Please spay your cat

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply - they use Stronghold which apparently deals with worms aswell as fleas/parasites - 2 weeks ago so she should be ok that way.

I know we had been feeding her different food to what the place fed her, which we'll move over to, it's just I dont want to think of her having issues when possibly a jab of some sort might sort her out.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »
The frst thing my vet normally says is has the cat been wormed recently. I would expect any rescue to make sure cats are wormed but might be worth checking. Even if they are wormed, if they cam into rescue with a heavy load of worms, sometimes one treatment isn't enough. Obviously a vet-type one like Milbemax or Drontal (I prefer the former but it is only available from vets or with a prescription). Another thing than can cause it is food with gravy or sudden change of food. I'm sure others will have some ideas.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
Squitty bum ...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »
Wondered if you could give me some advice?

We're currently into our 8th day of re-homing a 10 month old girl kitten on a 2 week trial (so she's officially still thiers at the moment)

On Friday I had to call them as the previous day and a bit had noticed that she was having issues with her no.2's (rather runny) and being a long haired cat you can imagine the mess (poor girl) We both put it down to her being in a new environment, stress etc.

I was told to feed her on chicken for a couple of days and then if she's not better to give the vets a call (and get her in I assume) Today is day 2 of chicken for her, and she doesnt appear to be any better motion wise, she went this morning thankfully whilst I could see her and she did a rather runny one, then went back in the litter tray and poo'd mucas (does that mean she's definetly got diarrhoea). Is there anything else anyone can suggest? She appears to be very happy in herself, is not hiding away etc or should I just get her in the vets.

Link to CatChat