Author Topic: Question for rescues - 6 weeks 'free' insurance  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Question for rescues - 6 weeks 'free' insurance
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 15:01:53 PM »
No they dont take bank details, they ring the new owner & ask if they would like to continue the insurance or not.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 15:45:19 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »
If this is similar to the breeder insurance (6 weeks free petplan insurance comes with most pedigree kittens) the cat doesn't have to be seen by a vet on the day it goes to it's new home.  I also wasn't aware that petplan did a policy with a £1000 limit - I thought the lowest amount was their £4000 budget policy.  But maybe this is a special thing for rescues about which I wouldn't know.  It doesn't sound like a bad idea though and I disagree that people won't shop around - I assume petplan don't take bank details of the new owner? In which case the policy doesn't just continue if you fail to cancel?  I know I shopped around to see what else I could get before I settled on staying with petplan for Mosi.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »
Cheers Dawn.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 16:17:55 PM »
Des, I've sent you a pm with the details on and Fluffy, I've sent you the same one.......it explains how the Pet Plan Insurance works for your rescue :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 11:34:29 AM »
Not got a PM Dawn - I wouldn't feel too happy at it though, how many of us realistically use something free for 6 weeks, and think of shopping around? Only £1k a year could mean someone still has to make a decision due to cost
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 10:01:45 AM »
I can see by reading that I was given duff information. Thank you.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 10:00:33 AM »
I've emailed you  :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 09:57:58 AM »
Thank you. It was to qualify for the 6 weeks free insurance I was told that the cat would need to be seen by the vet on the day of adoption. So I though as a cat is covered by CP for one month anyway they can get St :censored:ed

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 09:54:39 AM »

I don't bother as when I asked about it I was told that the cat needed to be seen buy a vet on the day of homing, although another employee said that is not true.

This isn't the case, I also think it depends on what cover you are opting for.  I'll send you the email I received off Pauline from Pet Plan, this more or less explains what's involved.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 09:50:18 AM »

When someone adopts a cat from Cats Protection the branch is responsible to pay for any vet bills for the first 4 weeks after adoption. Hopefully during that time they can shop around and find an insurance suitable for them.

Pet plan have tried to get all CP branches on board. I don't bother as when I asked about it I was told that the cat needed to be seen buy a vet on the day of homing, although another employee said that is not true. All our cats are seen by a vet and have a MOT when they go for their injections and it would be inconvenient to take a cat to the vet on the day of homing. Also many cats are homed at the weekend when the vets are closed, and it wouldn't warrent an emergency vet fee.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 09:39:57 AM »
I've sent you a pm with the contact details on  :)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 20:00:03 PM »
I think it's worth recommending even if it's just to get the 6 weeks free insurance.......anything can happen in that time and it's not as if you have to continue with the policy so you're not losing anything.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 19:50:48 PM »
Ah right, might not bother if I would have to recommend a policy with so little a year, Pebbles cost me over that last year, admittedly with 3 different illnesses so I might have got away with it, but I wouldnt' want to recommend it to anyone just in case.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 18:01:46 PM »
Im not sure just handing out the leaflets will earn commision. You get trained by a petplan person (some legal requirement, i cant sign the slips as im not officially trained) and then fill out the 6 weeks policy, if they continue it thats when you get the dosh  :)  I find it annoying as the policy only covers £1000 a year but i cant unreccomend them!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 16:11:39 PM »
I keep meaning to contact PetPlan to see if there was some advantage to us giving leaflets out with all the cats that we rehome, will defo look into it now, if some rescues can get commission, it might not be a lot, but its better than nothing.
Please spay your cat

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 15:00:57 PM »
That's the one - thanks Dawn that would be great if you could dig out the number  :wow:

Helen -  thanks for that - it's not insuring my animals that I'm interested in though, it's getting commission for rescues every time someone takes out an ongoing policy.  I help out at a couple of rabbit rescues and if it's as simple as getting commission for getting someone to take out insurance (which they already recommend anyway!) then as Dawn says, every little helps!   

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 14:32:31 PM »
I've got a phone number somewhere, I will try and find it later on.  I got offered this package for mine but never got round to filling it in, you have just reminded me I will have to do it.  If someone sign's up for it, the rescue gets so much commission, I don't think it's a lot but every little helps.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 14:17:26 PM »
In Pets at Home they have a voucher for 30 days free insurance with petplan, if you then decided to insure with Petplan after the 30 days they give you another month free so 2 months free cover in all.  The last time I was in there they were hanging up near the cat stuff, there were literally hundreds so you could take a bundle!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Question for rescues - 6 weeks 'free' insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 13:34:00 PM »
I help out at a couple of rabbit rescues and know that some other rescues (rabbit and cat) offer 6 weeks free petplan insurance with each animal adopted - I know that some of these don't gain anything from it, but I've also heard of others who get a commission whenever anyone purchases continued cover after the free period has ended.  I have been in contact with petplan to try and find out how to get into this scheme, but so far to no avail - does anyone have a contact number or email address for anyone at petplan who deals with this??  Thanks.

Link to CatChat