Author Topic: Poor Sweet babe  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
Re: Poor Sweet babe
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 20:23:26 PM »
Poor little angel at least it is at peace now :(
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 19:01:46 PM »
Oh Dawn how awful  :hug:

RIP wee furbabe xxx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 16:52:55 PM »
i used to keep some dolethal at home (abit naughtly maybe) presicely for the reasons of injured rodents etc, of course now i dont work i have no access which is annoying.

I wish I could. When Kylie fatally injured a bird last year, It's skin was hanging off but it's eyes were opening & closing - I was so upset but had to run into the vet next door even though I wasn't speaking to them (only shouting  :evillaugh: ) at the time - I had to swallow my pride and bite the bullet. Afterwards I was amazed that I had gone in there - especially as one of the vets phoned me to say that I made his receptionist cry shouting at her (which was a lie) !!

btw - no beer in this house - I suppose I could have spared a thimbleful of red wine though  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 16:28:30 PM »
I have had to do that too Dawn - vet didn't like it at first, but she knows me better now, so is happier to have those kind of decisions. Think she was wary at first in case I went with her advice, then tried to blame her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 14:12:38 PM »

I agree completely and as the vet had stated if it were her cat she would PTS, that says it all really and that the right decision was made.

If I'm unsure on what decision to make on any of mine, I usually ask the vet what they would do in my situation and this helps me to make the right decision at the time.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 13:34:56 PM »
I agree with Lynn. I think quality before quantity. I wouldn't want any of mine to go through agony.

I agree completely and as the vet had stated if it were her cat she would PTS, that says it all really and that the right decision was made.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 13:40:54 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 13:22:23 PM »
thats so cruel mark , you could atleast spare them a glass of beer so they can die happier LOL

i used to keep some dolethal at home (abit naughtly maybe) presicely for the reasons of injured rodents etc, of course now i dont work i have no access which is annoying.

When hubby practically amputated both hind legs of a deer last year i thought about that..altho i probably wouldnt have had enough for a animal that size and dont know if i'd have got a vein if it was that shocked but it had to be hurdled 8 miles in a boot so the vet could pts it, kindly enough he did it whilst it was still in the boot as he said it would prevent hurting it even more by lifting it out .

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 13:14:31 PM »
I have enough trouble when I tread on a snail in the garden. I normally put them in water as I'm too sqeamish to stamp on them again  :sick:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 12:41:22 PM »
Once, one of our cats had skinned a mouse alive and I had to hit it with a brick........I felt awful but the cat was just playing with it and prolonging it's agony.  I'm not sure if I could hit a cat or dog to end it's agony......I honestly couldn't say.  Hubby said quite a few years ago, he was on a bus and saw a dog being hit by a car, his back end was totally flattened and the dog was screaming in agony.  Someone went over and kicked the dog in the back of it's neck breaking it and ending it agony and he was then attacked by the passers by  :'(

I'm not sure if the cat was owned this morning, he had no collar and wasn't microchipped but he was quite a large cat and looked well fed.  I've left the details with Sue at mymoggy just in case anyone is missing him.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 12:44:22 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
I think the thing abut all of these stories is that we feel so impotent, and that's the hardest thing of all to bear. 

I couldn't do it either Lynn.  We were out walking once in the Highlands, and going along a fairly overgrown path, my hubby inadvertently stood on a grass snake causing it hideous crush injuries.  He was gutted, but was able to put the poor thing out of its misery.  I was useless and just cried, then I felt even worse because he cried. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 12:21:26 PM »
I think it takes a brave person rather than a sadist to act quicky to spare suffering. I caught a bit of a desert island type programme last night. This silly tart had caught a rock-cod and it was writhing around and she was crying and tapping it with small rocks etc just making it suffer more - that kind of thing really pees me off  >:(

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 12:13:56 PM »
Mark, thats an awful story but one which happens every year i am sure..only last year my son told me that his friends dad accidentaly killed their cat with the combine last harvest  :'(  god only hopes it was bloody quick but being a farmers daughter knowing about blade speeds etc i suspect not. :'(

The man you told the story of did the right thing, had i been there i could not have and i would have prolonged the poor creatures agony by bundling it to the vets for pts. (i physically was unable to finish off a poor mouse fraser and mutilated and broken its back etc, i had some dolethal at home and injected it..still it wouldnt die but i just couldnt do the shovel thing which would have been kindest -- yeah thats how much of a hard cow i am LOL)

yes i have seen some awful things and a few times my vet had wanted to try initial treatment etc or atleast find out why the animal was dying (in the cases of strange illnesses but no obvious trauma) and where it was blatantly obvious what the outcome was but waiting those 5 or 10 mins with a dying screaming cat is bloody awful and yes some cases  can still haunt i can tell you.

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 11:56:30 AM »
The poor little babe is out of its agony now at least  :(
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »
Aww, what a sad story, and I am sure that if the vet thought the cat could have had a chance, then she woudl have given it to him with a rescue backing for her a placement, I know my vet has to have that reassurance, she wont go through trying to treat a stray if they have no placement for it at the end of it. They do sound horrific injuries, and dont sound like the kind of thing I would want to try and get my cat to fight. RIP little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 11:02:03 AM »
I forgot to mention, the vet nurse also said that this cat couldn't move his back end so his injuries sounded severe anyway.  I think, although heartbreaking, it would have been cruel to persevere with this little guy.......he needed to be put out of his pain quickly and with as least stress as possible.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 10:52:02 AM »
Poor kitty - no more pain  :'(

I agree with Lynn. I think quality before quantity. I wouldn't want any of mine to go through agony. I think it would be selfish to put any creature through so much pain to save it. It reminded me of a terrible story a man told me recently. I went to collect a stray for Sharon and the old man that was looking after it said that he used to work for a dairy in Whitstable and he was cutting the grass with a tractor. He heard a cat scream and stopped. He said he had chopped the feet off a poor cat. He said he couldn't bear the idea the cat was in so much pain so he finished the cat off quickly with a shovel - this would have been in the 50's so no emergency vets etc. At that time his boss came by and fired him on the spot. His boss later offered him his job back as he realised he did the kindest thing in the circumstances. Horrible but what would any of us do in that situation.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:51:16 AM »
Awwww poor little babie
i hope he rip now after all that x
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
and i say that not with cruelness on my mind or feeling a cats life isnt important..just the oppisite actually.

I know that without a shadow of a doubt lynn.

I bet you have seen some really upsetting things.

But sometimes i worry that cats are PTS to quickly because they have been taken in as an RTA.
Look at that longhaired b+w i posted on here about. The RSPCA said PTS but he was saved by the vets thank God.
It scares me that one of mine could have an RTA and be PTS when they could be fixed

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:43:50 AM »
I can understand that Lynn, I've had to make decisions on some of the ones I've had here.......it's horrendous but the right decision for their sake.  I was just hoping this morning that she was saying it because of the expense and I tried to convince her, if this was the case I would sort it.  After she explained, I could totally understand her decision......it's all very well saving them if their outcome is nearly certain but to put an animal through loads of pain when the outcome is virtually zilch, I don't agree with.  She said she'd treated similar injuries and very rarely was the outcome good.....she's a good vet and I think if his chances were good, she would have persevered.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »
Having seen animals in that condition and had the misfortune of having to help try and give treatment i can say its such a blessing when the vet finally says pts asap...sometimes you know that theres very little chance of being able to save them and euthanasia really is a blessing, if you have to physically handle an animal in a mangled mess you would know that saving a life at whatever cost isnt the be all and end all, and i say that not with cruelness on my mind or feeling a cats life isnt important..just the oppisite actually.
I still easily have tears thinking of some past things ive experienced, the ones who keep you awake for weeks after wards and make you feel physically sick.  One of the ones i was most grateful of was the greyhound that was already dead by the time it was found and brought in, she had been hit by a train  :'(  Her body was sickening enough esp as it was obvious she hadnt died straight away.

I hope the little one is now at peace and no longer suffering the torture of its injuries.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:39:45 AM by lynn »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:24:23 AM »
Me too  :'(  :'(  I'm not a vet though so it's hard to say........poor babe sounded in so much pain, I was trying my best not to cry in the waiting room  :'(  :'(

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:21:54 AM »
That is so sad -

However, i would have wanted to at least TRY and save him if he was mine.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Poor Sweet babe
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:18:53 AM »
I've just taken a stray in to be neutered and could hear the most horrendous sound coming from the consultation room  :'(  A poor cat had been found on a building site having been hit by a car.  Sadly both his lungs were collapsed and his face was badly injured.......nothing could be done for him  :'(  I've just come out of there crying.......some poor owner is going to be missing their babe tonight.  I did say to the vet that if they could get the £50 off the RSPCA, I would cover the rest if he could be sorted out.......I heard her saying he would be really expensive to treat so I thought possibly this was the reason  :-:  She did say if this was her cat, she wouldn't put him through it.  Both lungs were collapsed and he would need drains in both, he would have to be kept in and there was no guarantee he would recover from it so putting to sleep was the kindest thing :'(  :'(  I always wanted to be a vet growing up, I'm so glad I didn't persue it..........I couldn't make those decisions  :'(  :'(

This cat was found on a building site in Bagillt, Flintshire.

RIP babe, xxxx
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:32:25 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Link to CatChat