Author Topic: animal welfare bill  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: animal welfare bill
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 09:49:54 AM »
I doubt this or any other bill will ever be that specific.

A large proportion of cats in the US are kept indoors, but I think it unlikely there would ever be a law banning them from going outside even there.   Lets face it if they can't even get a law banning declawing they're hardly going to get one to prevent them going outside. Not nationwide at least.  Of course anyone selling outdoor enclosures is going to benefit from implying that there may well come a time when cats have to stay indoors by law  ;)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 08:19:55 AM »
Didn't that US site concerning the outside runs state that it would become law in America to keep cats indoors all the time? I think the bird lobby would like this, especially pigeon fanciers.

(Years ago I dated a vet and spent a weekend with him while he was on call. He was called out to a cat who'd had its claws ripped out by a neighbouring pigeon owner!) This is true, and horrid.
A while ago I saw that ex-Goodie guy (can't remember his name) speaking about how cat owners should be forced to keep their cats indoors in order to save the bird population. Personally I think song-birds would be better helped if pesticides weren't used.

Maybe that's where your mum heard of this?

I prefer to give cats a flap and a litter tray in the verandah. But Polly's ears mean I have to keep her in during the day, so I give her freedom at night. She just stays in and sleeps anyway!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 17:15:14 PM »
My cats go thro the flap at night and ginger up the road sneaks thro my flap. To my knowledge this has never been mentioned an am sure there would be wholesale uproar if it was made law as cats are counted as freeroamimg animals.

We are all gonna have to wait to see the implications of this bill, dont know if it is law yet and I reckon nasties will start hiting the press eventually and the most serious problem we know about is the policing of the law in the hands of the RSPCA. if you are unhappy that they have total control,  sign Fuzzies petition.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 11:06:15 AM »
that's why I wanted to take a look, someone has told her this and I said that I doubted it but she was convinced and was worrying about it, I thought I should put her mind at rest!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 10:58:46 AM »
she is worried she will be arrested if anyone finds him after the sun goes down!!

I am sure that won't happen. After all there are so many ferals etc that it would be impossible to keep in or even get in for that matter, also I think  it would be considered extremly cruel to keep a feral contained.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
he does stay in most of the time but he is former stray and sometimes stays out until it is dark before coming back, he is usually only in the hedge at the side of the garden but she is worried she will be arrested if anyone finds him after the sun goes down!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 10:52:03 AM »
I only want to find out if we're supposed to keep them at night

No sure if they would legislate on that however, we all know that it makes sense to keep cats in at night and provide a litter tray. I expect those that don't would not bother about the Welfare bill anyway and try to ignore it.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:44:34 AM »
omg its huge!!  I only want to find out if we're supposed to keep them at night (not for me but my Mum who asked me last night)!!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:13:55 AM »
Not sure if this is it but have a look at http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/bill/

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:08:52 AM »
I posted a copy a while ago but can't remember where I found it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:53:03 AM by Ela »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
animal welfare bill
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »
does anyone know where I can find the text of this, I've tried a search on the internet but have come up with loads of different things and I just want to see what it involves - can anyone help?

Link to CatChat