Author Topic: James - I don't think he is ill!  (Read 1502 times)

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
Re: James - I don't think he is ill!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 19:52:17 PM »
I think you are all right, the antibiotics the vet gave him today will last around 2 weeks, so I'll see if I can get a second opinion when we get back.

Both cats have been healthy since we moved so unless it's for booster, we don'tnormally need to visit the vet. The last time James went to see them was last October to be neutered.

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated!

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 19:48:55 PM »
Cats temp do rise when stressed and I ahve had two foster cats on the trot with subnormal temps with no known cause. You just cannot win!

I would ask for a 2nd opinion, there is nothing stopping you from going to another vets.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 19:46:38 PM »
The vet is certainly right that it would not be right to give a cat a booster if it was ill and that kind of temperature sounds like he has some kind of bug.

However I would now wait to see if James ears cool off and also look for a second opinion with a better vet  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 19:44:42 PM »
Could you go to a second vet? It seems a little OTT when hes perfectly fine and gets worked up from travelling, is it a vet you normally trust?

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 19:42:26 PM »
Thanks for the quick respose Millysmum. I also had the same thoughts as you, and my Sister said the exact same thing. First lot of jabs were £43, today, I was charged £45!

I did ask for ahome visit yesterday, but was told the vets were too busy to come out!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 19:38:47 PM »
A stressed cat can have a higher temp so its a perfectly valid question for you to ask, how much are you being charged for all these appointments, full price? I hate to say it but i think you may be being had  :shy:

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
James - I don't think he is ill!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 19:26:04 PM »
I took our cat James for his Booster on Saturday and they weighed him and took his temperature. He had been a bit off his food, still eating, but not as much as normal.

He was also fine at home, playing with Rosie our other cat and chasing paper balls around the house like a demon!

Anyway, his temp last Sat was 104, so the Vet refused to give him his booster and gave him a short term jab of antibiotics. Took him back on Monday, temp now 103, vet said he looks fine, nothing sore in tummy area, eyes ok, ears ok, teeth ok, but still refused to give th booster. Said to wait another 48hrs and bring him back today .

Went back today and james has put on weight, again acting perfectly normal at home, now eating properly and has done since last Sunday! Temp still 103 - again won't give him his booster, but did give him some more antibiotics.

I have been checking james' ears and although warm when he's been chasing Rosie, there are pretty muuch ok at other times, I had both Rosie and James booked into the cattery from tomorrow as we fly out on holiday tomorrow, but without his booster, they won;t let James in, so Rosie will go and my Niece (bless her) will come in every day and spend some time with him and feed him.

Can a cat have a 'normal temp of 103?

The other thing is could it be stress? James hates going to the vet and gets very worked up as soon as the cat carrier comes out and I think it's because of this that his temp is up.

I mentioned this to the vet and it was almost brushed aside!

Link to CatChat