Author Topic: Macey throwing up.  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Macey throwing up.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 14:06:38 PM »
I would get her checked out CC, she has alway been a bit of a (piggy) girl so this is something new, although there has been a lot of furballs in ours of late so maybe she is retaining one of those!  ;) :hug:

As you know my Yagga loves to wolf then chuck, now strangely after being "wet food" only for his 3 yrs of life he has decided that he likes biscuits, he is being very good!  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »
CC, Lexy did this especially as she was trying to eat everything in one go. Biscuits usually were the culprit. As she is let's say.. ahem.. a rounder lady  :evillaugh:  I got her on a diet and it's working well. She's lost 500g in 6 weeks which is a lot but she's not starving.

I cut her dry food down and only give her that food as a "treat" so she has fun with it, and her wet food I wet down a little.

Do you have the ability to feed her in a room all on her own? So keep her separate, feed the others and then spend time in the other room with her so that she doens't eat the other food and they don't eat hers?

I got Lexy the Malcolm Mouse from Sainsbury's (2 of them) and a Slim Cat ball from VetUk (there are other retailers). All her dry food goes into these, half in the morning half at night. She has to go find it. Because its a fun game she exercises and she eats the wet food as its the readily available one for her so she will always eat it.

Speak to your vet before you do want to try this, but if you do, and you're able to keep her separate at feeding time from the others, then you may see an improvement in weight and no more throwing up. Lexy hasn't thrown up (other than a furball  :sick: ) since I started this.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:54:59 AM »
Poor Macey  :hug:

Nina went through a stage of doing this, always with biscuits.

Just had to really watch her and only give her a handful at a time 

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 08:53:54 AM »
You could shut the others in a different room while they have their biscuits CC - I know how hard it is to diet one cat in a multicat household, but I have managed it (I probably lost some too running round stopping Tom eating everyone else's food!!). I had underweight cats at the same time, so it was a lot of logistics giving them extra while he wasn't around, and never leaving anything down, and dont forget exercise, there is no point just cutting back her food if she isn't exercising.

I would agree with this, can be very difficult but just needs some juggling round and will be better for her healthwise long-term.  There's an article in the guide section which may have some helpful tips it covers lots of things including exercise etc  :hug:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:54:55 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 07:46:13 AM »
You could shut the others in a different room while they have their biscuits CC - I know how hard it is to diet one cat in a multicat household, but I have managed it (I probably lost some too running round stopping Tom eating everyone else's food!!). I had underweight cats at the same time, so it was a lot of logistics giving them extra while he wasn't around, and never leaving anything down, and dont forget exercise, there is no point just cutting back her food if she isn't exercising.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 07:27:03 AM »
They do eat less of it so I don't think it works out that much more expensive. A few vets are stocking Orijen now so its worth trying a small bag to see how you get on with it. http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/stockists.html#england
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 23:35:47 PM »
Tiffany would eat far less if I only offered her wet food - is this an option for Macey?

my local FAB trained cattery owner, hates all dried food because, as he says, only eating 10% too much piles on the weight

switchcing to a high protein variety like Orijen or Applaws would help, but they are expensive
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 23:26:36 PM »
Its only the biscuits she's throwing up after- she always has done if she eats too many, too quick. Im trying to keep her away but she headbutts her way past both Harry and Lyla for the biscuits-so they just sit there and wait till she's done, unless I move her-which I always do.

I just dont know how to get her to stop, she's growing into a ball with a head  :shocked: and the vets warned me about her weight last november  :scared: I think it must be a problem she has cos none of my others are like that.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 23:04:26 PM »
Trigger has had two short-lived bouts of d&v lately, and I am almost certain they were a reaction to the salmon flavoured Felix AGAIL - is Macey throwing up after any particular food?

Tiffany was short changed on food in her kittenhood, and finds it very difficult not to eat any dried food left around - which is why she is twice the size of Trigger

all I can do is only put down one catsworth at a time and slip him more when she is not around
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 22:54:55 PM »
Some cats are more sicky than others but if she's suddenly started to be like this I'd let the vet check her.  It could be gobbling food down and because she thinks you won't let her  :sneaky: it must very difficult trying to watch their weight when you've quite a few cats it's bad enough when I've just had 2 and they've had to eat differently for whatever reason.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Macey throwing up.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 21:40:41 PM »
Macey has been throwing up quite a bit lately. It seems to be her food that she's bringing back up and also the biscuits, its been going on for about 4 days now. Im wondering if she's eating too quick and thats why she's doing it?

She used to throw up a lot when I fed them the go-cat, she gobbled them up too quick then would be sick.

She's not even supposed to be eating biscuits because of her weight but I dont know how to get her to stop-or loose weight. I put them out for Harry only when he comes in but she headbutts him out of the way, I move her out of the kitchen but she sneaks back in  :tired:

If I catch her trying to eat them I tell her no then she saunters off, maybe she's scoffing them incase I catch her and make her stop?
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Link to CatChat