Author Topic: advice on cat flaps  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: advice on cat flaps
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 14:20:50 PM »
I know you will keep an umbrella by the door to help him  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 13:38:48 PM »
thanks Gills

I won't risk it then - it has occurred to me anyway that another cat could get in and that would really put the cat among the pigeons :rofl:

he jumps down from the top of the enclosure on to a bank, and even then puts his feet on the mesh on the way down - because of the overhang he has to jump straight down coming in, and although he has done it once I would have to leave him really hungry to make him do it again, and I hate to do that

but the choice is his, I guess
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 13:20:41 PM »
I have had a cat break through a completely locked cat flap and disappear never to be seen again  :( It was years ago and I'd only recently adopted him and another cat - I left the door to his safe room open as he was starting to settle (or so I thought) and through the night (I kick myself now - I never heard any noise, which there must have been cos the cat flap was demolished!) he went. I searched for months. Mind you, he was a huge strong chap and he was still new to the household, but its definitely possible for a cat to break through a cat flap.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »
Yes if they persistantly hit it very hard then they will break through.

Mine has little slider thingys at the bottom and they come off dairly easlily.

Are your other two likely to try ....hmmm guess so if you have another flap.

I wonder why he is reluctant to come in...is it harder than climbing out.....maybe he is just a normal cay and wants to be waited on  :rofl: :rofl:

I used to have to open the flap for Kocka to walk through going out or she would drive me insane by just flappin it. On the way back she would climb onto the window sill and bang on the window for me to go out so she could travel in on my shoulder.......sigh those were the days  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
advice on cat flaps
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:12:26 AM »
Tosker is reluctant to jump down into the enclosure, and hangs around waiting for me to open the gate for me, morning and evening now - which has meant many soakings for him these past few days, as he will not go into the kennel I keep outside the gate >:(

so now I am thinking of boarding up a bit of the gate and putting in a cat flap, set to IN only for him - he has no trouble getting out by climbing the fence :(

but is there any chance of Trigger and Tiffany being able to break out through it, if they try really hard? has anyone had any experience of using a flap one way only?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat