Author Topic: Squamous Cell Cancer.......... RIP Mr Darcy  (Read 22664 times)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Re: Squamous Cell Cancer
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 21:16:00 PM »
Hi, I know absolutely nothing about cancer

Darcy is absolutely gorgeous - just wanted to wish you luck   :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 20:25:40 PM »
He is gorgeous. Regarding the steroids, with MAbel I just put a tablet into her food daily, and she didn't even know she was being medicated. Thinking back though, I wasn't given steroids for Blackie, but she was an unhandleable cat, and did make a mess of the vet nurse's arm, so maybe the vet decided treatment wasn't an option for her (I still have a scar from one of her bites, and she has been at teh bridge for 3 years)
Please spay your cat

Offline cats_whiskas

• Adult Cat
  • Harry, Cheese and Nancy. RIP Mr Darcy x
    • Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 20:22:19 PM »
Thankyou so much for understanding. He is sat right  next to me on the desk now. He is definately not himself today. I don't know if I am just noticing more, because we have a diagnosis. I am so relieved I am not the only one going through this. Mr Darcy is somewhat of a celebrity in my life. I have had so many replies on my Facebook, from people, long distant friends, who all remember him and have described him as a "legend". He is such a character. Such a wonderful, regal boy. I am just a broken woman. I really am. How are we to cope with this?

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 20:17:46 PM »
Hiya hun, and welcome to Purrs  :hug:

I did see this post this morning, but reading it had me in floods again, thank you posting on mine earlier, by the way  :hug:

I will never let him suffer. I am just devastated. My boyfriend and I can't stop crying. We are trying not to do this around him as we know that this may alarm him. The last thing I want is for him to sense our anxiety. We have decided that when we have to make that decision, and give him the final dignity in life, he will remain at home and the vet will come to us. I wish I had the words to express how devastated I am. I can't bear to look at him, but all  want to do is be with him .

I completely and utterly understand how you feel, I've had Max by my side through thick and thin for 9 years, he is such a part of me that imagining my life without him is completely breaking my heart .

I don't think any of us have the answers, and we too are trying to be as normal as possible around Max, but I think we just have to take each adn every day as it comes.  I've never been through this before either  :hug: :hug: xxxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 20:04:17 PM »
He os soooooooo handsome :Luv: its hard to believe there is anything wrong ,he looks so well, i wish i could help and take away your pain but all i can do is send lots of these :hug: :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline cats_whiskas

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 19:54:26 PM »

Here is my beautiful man  :'(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 19:49:57 PM »
 :welcome: sorry its for sad reasons you have joined us  :hug:
I have had 3 cats with cancer, 2 i lost and 1 is still here  :Luv2: Taffy had intestinal lymphoma and we tried steroids but unfortunately they didnt help him, and most recently was Milly who had lymphoma in her liver, this she did have steroids for but i cant say they helped her either  :(
Mister Magoo had quite bad SCC on his ears (not from my negligence!) he had them amputated 8 months ago and touch wood all is still ok.

From what i hastily researched when i was offered chemo for Milly is the most aggressive cancers respond much better to chemo than other types which dont warrant using such strong drugs, it may be this reason that your vet isnt suggesting it for Mr Darcy.

Cherish the time you have together, some cats defy all odds and go beyond all expectations  :hug:

Offline cats_whiskas

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 18:21:38 PM »
I will definately see what can be done. I was just speaking to a firend and saying that it is so different when your patient is human, but you can't explain to an animal why you are making them take tablets and why they are so poorly. I think that is what makes it so heart breaking. He had some anti biotics recently which he hated taking. I think I will leave all medication for as long as I can, before I start making him take it. Simply because I know it stresses him and he intensely dislikes it. While he is well we will stay as we are. But as soon as he needs it, he will have it. For some reason, my vet said that they don't treat this type of carcinoma with chemo and I am not sure why.

I think the hardest part for me is actually having to watch him go through this. It is heart breaking. I actually cannot believe that my one constant in life is going to leave me. I have had Mr Darcy for 9 years and men, friends and houses have come and gone, but he has remained and kept me strong. I suffer from acute depression as well and once, I was suicidal and as I was about to take my own life, he came in the room and looked at me and I knew I couldn't do it. I know it sounds terribly dramatic and don't get me wrong, I am very well at the moment. However what I guess I am trying to excpress, is how  close we are and how important he is to me. I have 3 other cats who I adored dearly. However Darcy and I seem bound on aq much deeper level. I was there for him when he needed rescuing as a small kitten and he has been my mainstay through life. How will I manage without him?

I am sorry to go on. But I just believe I have to watch my beautiful man deteriorate. And I don't know where else to go to find people that really understand? And have maybe been through something simlilar.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 17:26:37 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to purrs.
I had my cat Boy PTS just over 2 weeks ago, he was diagnosed with lymphoma of intestines in Dec 2007, at that time i was told steroids would give him 6-8 weeks but with chemo he could have months. I was assured that chemo on animals wont make them sick or loose hair as it does in human because its in small dosage, i did agree and Boy was put on steroids and chemo tablets he also had HT and they suspected IBD but couldnt do a full biopsy on him. :( Boy did well on chemo and was with us for 18 months from the time he was diagnosed but in last 3 months he was diagnosed with Vestibular syndrome and the vet thought the tumour has spread in to his head and was pushing against the brain, he had 3 episod since April and each time he was given steroid injections and antibiotics and was fine within the hours but the last one was so bad he couldnt use the tray or eat and i couldnt let him suffer so we decided its best to let him go. :'(
I do agree with others you cant really put a time limit with this, every cat is different and cope different. I also lost 2 previous cats DD and Jim to cancer, DD had pancreatic cancer and Jim Lymphoma of intestine but they both were older cats and in both cats it was too late for treatments :(
Do speak to your vet and see what he says about putting Mr Darcy on steroids. Sending lots of good vibes on Mr Darcy way and  :hug: for you.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 16:48:21 PM »
Hi and welcome to Purrs...
I am so sorry to hear about Mr Darcy

My Cat Issey has Lymphoma so I know what You are going through  :hug:

We did 4wks off Chemo which did make the Lymph nodes go right down but sadly Issey didnt cope with the Chemo very well so I stopped it.

She has a large node in her neck and also in her back leg/groin.

She is having a steroid tablet every day as that keeps the white blood cells down, Cancer is spread through the WBC.

Issey was diagnosed in April....My vet feels the cancer is now spreading quickly and has given her a couple of months  :'(
She is only 5yrs old bless her.

xxxx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 15:33:22 PM »
Cancer, whether in animals or humans is a terrifying, horrid disease!  :(

A couple of years ago I took on a 15yr old beautiful girl who after a couple of vet visits, blood test etc was diagnosed with a tumor on her liver....She was given steroids and anti bs which did give her some quality of life for a while...although I only knew this sweet lady for 3 months I could see when she was ready for the Bridge....

Unless the cancer is pretty advanced you cant really put a time limit on things, every cat as every human will cope differently in similar situations...

I wish you and yours long quality times together and positive vibes for keeping healthy~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 15:09:30 PM »
The vet wouldn''t say how long she has - just to take each day as it comes .
I am going back in 2 weeks for him to see her and then maybe he will drain her tummy again - as long as she is eating, drinking and happy he will probably do this - i imagine the prognosis is probably the same as you - i have tried not to think ahead too much  :(.
I have 5 cats and she is the youngest and one of the most affectionate and loving ones .

Offline cats_whiskas

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 14:45:29 PM »
How long does Bungly have? Have they given you any indication? I am so sorry to hear that you too, are going through the same thing. :(

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 14:37:48 PM »
Hi,
Also sad to welcome you in these sad circumstances  :hug: :hug:.
I too have a cat (Bungly ) that has been diagnosed very recently with Liver cancer , she is only 9 years old too.
Her tummy started to swell and hold fluid , she went to the vets and had it drained approx 6/7 weeks ago  and i got the diagnosis then .
He put her on water tablets and steroids , but her tummy is starting to swell again now - i am hoping he will just drain it again ,as she is eating , drinking and playing and happy at the moment.
I am finding it hard to take in myself and sort of not beleiving it .
There is someone else on her that i think has the same sort of cancer your Mr Darcey has and i don''t think Issey is on steroids either - i am sure she will post in here when she sees it .

Offline cats_whiskas

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 14:34:00 PM »
No he hasn't been put on steroids. At the moment he is showing no signs of illness. Would they do this if he became poorly? I know the same vet put my mum's cat on steroids when she had cancer but she only had a few weeks left.

I will put a picture of him up. He is so beautiful.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 12:54:44 PM »
I too am sorry to welcome you to Purrs in such sad circumstances  :hug:

Cats have a big advantage over us: they live in the moment and don't fret about what's ahead.  Try to take your cue from Mr Darcy and take everything one day at a time  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 12:53:29 PM »
i am so sorry to hear this, sadly i have dealt with cancer in cats and it isn't easy, weighing up their quality of life, but you know him so well you will pick up the signs. Has the vet put him on steroids, they are often used with certain kinds of cancer? Fingers crossed Mr Darcy proves the vets estimate wrong
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »
Sorry to welcome you to Purrs in such sad circumstances  :hug:  Treasure every moment you have with him  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:39:55 PM »
Hi  :welcome: im so sorry to hear about Mr Darcy :( and you will find as Dabs said a wealth of support on here, and all i can say is just take each day as it comes  :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline cats_whiskas

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »
Dabs, thankyou very much for your kind words, sensible advice and warm welcome. I am just sad to be joining this forum in such sad circumstances. I have long been alurker, but never a poster.

Mr Darcy has had, on his neck, a skin tag, since I got him at 6 weeks old. Recently he scractched it and made it bleed. I didn't think anything of it. However he began to scratch it all the time and I had him booked into the vets. The night before I was due to take him, he was taking a bath with me (sitting on the side and putting his paws in the water) and I noticed that he had what looked like a swollen gland, ever so slightly, on the left side of his face. I thought I would mention that to the vet too.

The vet suggested that as Mr Darcy had a temperature and the wound on his neck was causing problems, he would removed the skin tag, and biopsy the glands, as well as treat him with anti biotics. I am a student nurse and should have realised that this was much worse than it sounded. However I hung onto the belief, naively that it was an infection. After all, Mr Darcy is invincible.He has never been sick, and out of my 4 cats, he is mummy's boy. I have had him for 9 years.

On thursday the vet rang to say that Mr Darcy has cancer and there is no real treatment for the type that he has as it is already in his lymph nodes.

I will never let him suffer. I am just devastated. My boyfriend and I can't stop crying. We are trying not to do this around him as we know that this may alarm him. The last thing I want is for him to sense our anxiety. We have decided that when we have to make that decision, and give him the final dignity in life, he will remain at home and the vet will come to us. I wish I had the words to express how devastated I am. I can't bear to look at him, but all  want to do is be with him .

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 11:58:27 AM »
Hi and  :welcome: even if it is under such sad circumstances.  :(

My only experience has been with one of my lads that had cancer at the tip of his ear and was caught in time.

The only thing that I can say is be guided by your cat and your vet and as hard as it is, try not to let your own feelings get in the way. I do know some people that keep cats and other pets going because they cannot bear the thought of saying goodybye.

Cats do not show pain so do not assume that because Mr Darcy is not showing how uncormfortable he is that all is well. Look for subtle signs, maybe sleeping more, a reluctance to move around, stopping eating and appearing depressed. These are all signs that all is not well.

We can give our beloved pets something that cannot be afforded to us, the rights to go with dignity and peacefully. I always say I would rather take that step a week too soon than a day too late.

Either way, you will find a wealth of support on this site as we have all been thru it one way or another. We cannot tell you what to do, only guide you.  :grouphug:
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline cats_whiskas

• Adult Cat
Squamous Cell Cancer.......... RIP Mr Darcy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »
My very special cat Mr Darcy, has been diagnosed with cancer, which has now spread to his lymph nodes. We have a prognosis of 1 - 8 months. I am a broken woman. Does anyone have any advice on living with cats with cancer.

Here is my most beautiful angel.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 17:25:13 PM by cats_whiskas »

Link to CatChat