Author Topic: unexpected arrivals more questions  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Re: unexpected arrivals more questions
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 22:22:55 PM »
I have frontline all 11 kittens and omg what a row they made hehe, mums ran off as soon as they saw the spray and wouldnt go near the kittens until they had fully dried off. :)
I have combed all mums and kittens and changed all bedding so fingers crossed we wont see the blighters again for another month or so.

They are getting so big, every time i look in on them they seem bigger. I am so proud of my girlies, also my other 3 cats who seem to enjoy watching the kittens as much as me :Luv2:

Oh bless sounds like you are doing really well  :hug:

Offline Denise070

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 22:19:19 PM »
I have frontline all 11 kittens and omg what a row they made hehe, mums ran off as soon as they saw the spray and wouldnt go near the kittens until they had fully dried off. :)
I have combed all mums and kittens and changed all bedding so fingers crossed we wont see the blighters again for another month or so.

They are getting so big, every time i look in on them they seem bigger. I am so proud of my girlies, also my other 3 cats who seem to enjoy watching the kittens as much as me :Luv2:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 19:54:51 PM »
I spray onto gloves and get it on that way, hate the smell of it  :sick:
Fleas can be really dangerous to little ones so it wouldnt hurt to comb out the adult fleas as it takes frontline upto 24hrs to kill them off.

An environmental spray eg acclaim or indorex will help as this is where the cycle takes its strongest hold. As you use the spray on the adults they should have 8wks cover so it shouldnt be them causing the problem

Offline Denise070

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:47:18 PM »
Frontline spray can be used safely on kittens from 2 days old.

I was beginning to worry myself because this is what I have always used on my kittens; but when I started looking it up for you on the net, everything said for kittens over 8 weeks ofe age.  However, have been on Merial website who make it and found this.

Fipronil is a member of the phenylpyrazole family of broad spectrum, non-systemic, insecticides/acaricides, which acts by blocking the GABA receptor to kill the target parasite on contact. It exhibits insecticidal and acaricidal activity against fleas (Ctenocephalides spp.), ticks (Rhipicephalus spp. and Ixodes spp.) and lice (Trichodectes spp. and Felicola spp.) in the dog and cat. FRONTLINE Spray may aid in the control of a number of ectoparasite species in dogs and cats including Neotrombicula autumnalis, Sarcoptes spp. and Cheyletiella spp. Treatment with FRONTLINE Spay has been shown to result in a significant reduction in the incidence of flea allergy dermatitis in both dogs and cats. When used as part of a strategy for the treatment of flea allergy dermatitis, monthly applications to the allergic patient and to other cats and dogs in the household are recommended. FRONTLINE Spray is active for up to 3 months against fleas in dogs and up to 2 months in cats depending on the environmental challenge. It is effective against tick infestations for up one month in dogs and cats, depending on the level of environmental challenge.

Puppies and kittens from 2 days of age may be safely treated.

I tend to spray the frontline onto a moist piece of cotton wool and then rub the kitten with the cotton wool so that they are moist but not wet.  Then, keep each kitten separate until they have dried off to stop them licking each other.

As others have said, mums will be cleaning up the kittens.  They lick them to stimlulate them to poop and pee and then eat the result :sick: :sick: - oh the joys of handrearing, but at least I don't have to do the eating bit :shocked:

Thats great, I use the spray anyway as i find it has better results so i have some in my pet meds cupboard, so i will treat them later.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
Thats a good way of getting the spray on them without getting them scared of sprays  ;D

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »
Frontline spray can be used safely on kittens from 2 days old.

I was beginning to worry myself because this is what I have always used on my kittens; but when I started looking it up for you on the net, everything said for kittens over 8 weeks ofe age.  However, have been on Merial website who make it and found this.

Fipronil is a member of the phenylpyrazole family of broad spectrum, non-systemic, insecticides/acaricides, which acts by blocking the GABA receptor to kill the target parasite on contact. It exhibits insecticidal and acaricidal activity against fleas (Ctenocephalides spp.), ticks (Rhipicephalus spp. and Ixodes spp.) and lice (Trichodectes spp. and Felicola spp.) in the dog and cat. FRONTLINE Spray may aid in the control of a number of ectoparasite species in dogs and cats including Neotrombicula autumnalis, Sarcoptes spp. and Cheyletiella spp. Treatment with FRONTLINE Spay has been shown to result in a significant reduction in the incidence of flea allergy dermatitis in both dogs and cats. When used as part of a strategy for the treatment of flea allergy dermatitis, monthly applications to the allergic patient and to other cats and dogs in the household are recommended. FRONTLINE Spray is active for up to 3 months against fleas in dogs and up to 2 months in cats depending on the environmental challenge. It is effective against tick infestations for up one month in dogs and cats, depending on the level of environmental challenge.

Puppies and kittens from 2 days of age may be safely treated.

I tend to spray the frontline onto a moist piece of cotton wool and then rub the kitten with the cotton wool so that they are moist but not wet.  Then, keep each kitten separate until they have dried off to stop them licking each other.

As others have said, mums will be cleaning up the kittens.  They lick them to stimlulate them to poop and pee and then eat the result :sick: :sick: - oh the joys of handrearing, but at least I don't have to do the eating bit :shocked:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:01:27 PM »
The Mum kittens takes care of all the toilet bits until they get onto solid food,  re the Fleas,  you really need one of the kitten experts on here to answer that one,   or just give your vet a quick ring and ask them   :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »
Me too!  :shify:

I am not the person who is up on kittens but I do think that mum cat takes care of their toileting etc!  ;)

Please ask either a vet or wait till someone who knows for definite answers you!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:57:38 AM »
i am swure they are way to young for frontline drop on and if anything needs to be the spray but would ask your vet to be sure

Offline Denise070

• Adult Cat
unexpected arrivals more questions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:40:28 AM »
Well the kittens are going amazing and growing at an alarming rate, some more than others.

When i was handling them yesterday i noticed they have visitors already, so is it to early to use frontline, they are between 3-6 days old now, mums get treated every six weeks in the summer so unsure how they manged to get them.

Also i am a bit concerned as i never see any kitten poop, is this normal, or are the mums cleaning it up as they do it.

OHH and guess what, we have one kitten with nearly open eyes!!

Well this was a complete shock to us, but i have to say i am loveing every minute of it. I sit and watch them feeding and mums cleaningh and swapping babies for hours, better than any tv programme hehe

Link to CatChat