Author Topic: PEbbles - her nose again!!  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
Re: PEbbles - her nose again!!
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 14:10:54 PM »
Fingers crossed for Pebbles, Des - would there be any mileage in trying to get her going on some of the treats that it's possible to conceal pills in (without putting the pill in lol) just so you know what avenues would be available if you DID need to give her preds regularly?
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline devilish_ushotmail

• Adult Cat
  • Tom Cat - My Bestest Friend in the Whole World
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 14:06:28 PM »
Aww poor thing - and you. Thinking of you both and sending big snuggles to Pebbles xxxxxxxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 20:19:50 PM »
poor thing, she's obviously very stroppy or very frightened or abit of both LOL

are you sure she wouldnt eat preds crushed in food ??

failing that i think the only thing you can do is hope for the best really.  then theres the balance of getting treatment and quality of life if she would be so stressed out every day with you trying in vain to get tabs into her..its a hard one .

personally given what you have described i'd be playing it the same way X

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 20:34:05 PM »
Lynn, they cleared up completely after 4 steroid jabs, she hasn't had one for a couple of months now and they are back, but still small at the moment - but I dont know what will happen when the summer comes. I don't know what would happen if she developed something like that, it doesn't bear thinking about with her character!! She bit the vet just for stroking her the day before her amputation, and fought them before and after the op!!
I really do hope that this is the last major thing we are going to have, not sure if I can cope with any more illnesses just for her - am glad that she is insured though, she woudl have bankrupted me by now!!
Please spay your cat

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 15:32:04 PM »
Fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse.  She's been through enough (and you).
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 14:04:04 PM »
Sorry to hear this, Desley.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 10:48:58 AM »
desley, the steroids wont have masked it in that sense but have impeded the growth, quite a lot of "chemotherapy " in animals are high doses of steroids.  (so not the same as human type i dont think but its commonly used)

sounds like she's very difficult and your just gonna have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best and deal with what gets thrown at you should the lesions grow.

I guess given a cat like pebbles character if they went on to develop ie diabetes etc then they would not be the best or easiest candidates from treatment, we tend to jump on a band wagon and think everything  can be treated and there are ways round any obsticale but occ there just isnt a way and we have to "accept" the situation.

Thats what i think anyway.

Hopefully the lesions will be self limiting.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »
To be honest, I think she is too temperamental for me to inject at home - if I had an extra pair of hands, I would try it, but with how she has reacted to the sub-q fluids and jabs at the vets, I dont think it would work - didn't say this the first time round, but the vet had to put a cat muzzle on her for the fluids and jabs when she had diarrhea, and it took 2 of us holding her down and a towel the second time - she did try both times without, but I got bit both times!! I think while they are mild and pre-cancerous I will leave alone and hope it never turns but it just hit me that the steroids have only masked it. Ironic part is I have had 2 pure whites, both oldies with outdoor access, nothing like this, a ginger and white who lived on the streets for 3 years, nothing. She is black and white, and years younger than they were - and this happens.
Please spay your cat

Offline Claire Hirsch

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 10:11:25 AM »
Aw, I'm sorry to hear this Desley...
Have you thought about trying those pill-casings that are like treats? First you get the cat used to eating the treat then you put the pill in. If the pills don't taste bad it's probably quite effective (although I've never tried it!)...
If injecting at home was an option I think I'd take it. I've given lots of cat injections and if they're subcutaneous it really isn't so difficult or unpleasant. In fact they often hardly notice. Of course the first time you do it is nerve-wracking but it quickly becomes very easy...

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 10:07:56 AM »
I second what Ela has just said -
I always injection my lot when they need antibiotics, so much easier than pills. I even gave them their vac this year (dont ever repeat that or my vet could get struck off lol).

The feral that lives in my garden has very advanced SCC (some people on here has seen pics) ?but he is doing fine. His nose is abit of a mess but he still seems to enjoy life and all the while he is eating and seems happy i will leave him alone.

You must do what you feel is right for Pebbles, no one knows her better than you and you know what she will be able to stand treatment wise

lots of love
Michelle xxxx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 09:30:14 AM »
Honestly it only take a very few seconds to learn how to inject properly. Although having a temperamental cat is sometimes another matter.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 07:55:23 AM »
Lynn, the prob with tabs is that ever since she had her dental, prising her mouth open to put tablets in has been a nightmare, she sometimes needs 3 of us to pill her at the vets, but I dont have that option at home!!
Amanda - the vet suggested cryosurgery, but I dismissed it after reading up on the recovery stats, and also that as she is so temperamental, she would require sedation before every session, and with her history, I dont want to put her through another 3 sedations if I can help it.
Rebecca - not sure if I could do that to be honest, she isn't a cooperative cat, and I have no training in injections. The reason for the op is that if these turn worse, the treatment would be removing part of her nose, and I simply cant put her through that with what she has already had this year. But I do worry as to whether these are going to turn. There are a lot of side effects to it, and I think I got the impression that the vet wouldn't be happy doing it (but she wasn't happy about hte amputation either). Pebbles will be 12 in Jan, and I do hope that next year we dont have quite so many health issues, she must have had around 20 vet visits this year!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 08:49:24 AM »
Desley, am sorry to hear this.  Poor Pebbles.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 07:22:37 AM »
Oh no poor Peebles and poor you  :(

You both have been through so much over the past few months, maybe it would be worth finding out about giving the injections yourself.

Sending you and Pebbles lots of positive vibes xxx

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 02:15:38 AM »
Des I've agreed with Ollie's vet that if he continues to need fortnightly steroid jabs to maintain his quality of life I'll learn to do them myself - I've injected other humans before and it's not hard, and Ollie's pretty calm about jabs generally speaking, it's just the vet himself that he hates! Maybe that would be a possibility for you guys?

When you say you can't put her through the op is that because you feel it would be undue stress for the extra time it'd give her, or that she actually can't have it for some reason?
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 01:30:15 AM »
Sorry to hear about Pebbles nose, poor thing she doesnt seem to get a nbreak from probs. :(

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 00:28:31 AM »
I`m sorry to hear about Pebbles. I can`t remember whether we discussed this on the CC forum Desley but have you thought about cryosurgery for these scabs? I know of one cat that used to have this done and it seemed to work very well.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 22:52:44 PM »
preds dont have much smell or taste, would that not work ??

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 22:47:52 PM »
A steroid jab - long enough for a month. I wouldn't even ask for the tabs, she is a nightmare to pill.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 22:30:51 PM »
Sorry to hear that, poor Pebbles has had a rough time of it this year  :'(

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 22:29:22 PM »
what type of injection does she normally get ?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
PEbbles - her nose again!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 22:17:46 PM »
Her scabs have started to come back - I know they are mild and pre-cancerous, but they still make my heart sink :( I am not going to put her through another vet visit for a jab though, I think we have both had enough vet visits this year (although I am there at least one more time before X MAs!!). I really do dread the day these turn, as I know I can't put her through the op to treat them.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat