Author Topic: Blind young cats with cerebellum hyperplasia - views/experiences please -urgent  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Thanks P,

The latest is that the carer spoke to the vets and they were successfully spayed/neutered and he collected them on Friday. He told the vet that they were coping well in a home environment. It could well be that he is keeping them. Will try to get an update.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 15:56:32 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Try speaking to Stacey at Paws At Findon. Obviously not tonight as it is too late, the Sanctuary no is 01903 872734. She has a lot of experience with cats with brain damage, she may be able to offer suggestions, she may not, but worth giving her a call.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I spoke to the trustees of Rhodes Minnis sanctuary today and they said with the best will in the world, due to thie set-up, they wouln't be able to help these two  :( - They said that blind cats tend to get bullied and they wouldn't be able to offer a permanebt home as they bank on a 3 - 4 week turn around due to the number they take in. They said impossible cases end up in the main house but they already have 8 to take care of and 2 more would be impossible.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Hopefully Sharon will get an update on these two soon. Apparently, they had never been to the vets  :( - someone on here (don't know if they want me to mention their name but they can put their hand up if they are happy for people to know) has offered long-term fostering if all else fails. Obviously it is dependent on how bad they are and also it is up to the carer as we have no say as the cats aren't signed over to us.

I just had an idea to make enquiries at Rhodes Minnis sanctuary.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton

I hate it when vets suggest pts as its the easier option sometimes  >:(

The problem is, we only have very limited fosterers so if 2 cats are kept long term, it means others can't be dealt with. Also, the kind of people that are willing to take cats on with problems are few & far between. Only yesterday, I did a homecheck and they actually stated that Sharon had tried to push and old cat with heath issues on them and they wanted a healthy kitten, not a sick cat - their reason was that they were heartbroken when their cat died and they don't want to go through it again.

btw - the old, sick cat Sharon had suggested is a 5 year old who is slightly overweight and on obesity diet  :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Sharon has spoken to the vet a CP HQ. They said they have had some very good results with HP cats and have rehomed depending on severity. As the cats are not signed to us, it is down to the owner to decide whether to keep them or sign over to us. If they are signed to us, HQ are willing to discuss issues with our vet. I think that is it - Sharon can confirm. Apparently, the female is a lot worse than the male.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
I hope these little ones are given a chance  :Luv2:

Every time I see pics of Minimopsical I see what a happy little girl she is, and that video posted recently of another darling babe with the same condition  :Luv2:

I hate it when vets suggest pts as its the easier option sometimes  >:(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Sharon is back from the doctor's. Apparently these cats are 3 years old now. Our view is surely if they survived this long, they have every chance of continuing. Sharon is going to speak to Caroline, our welfare person who is also an ex paediatric nurse to see what she thinks. She is also going to speak to the vet to get more info. The carer wants them to be signed over but Sharon has a feeling he may decide to continue to care for them when he hears what the vet thinks.

As soon as there is any news, I will post.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 15:23:58 PM by Mark »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Mark
Really wish we could all see these cats, I think majority of vets feel best option for severe C.H. cats is to PTS but they do not see first hand the wonderful quality of life they can enjoy.
C.H. affects the part of the brain which controls movement and co ordination due to cells not developing in that part of brain whilst in womb; cats are not blind because of this condition,in Minimopsicals case she had a seizure which caused temporary blindness, I find myself wondering why they are blind, I also cannot see what ongoing vet care they would need other than routine vaccs etc. Yes they do cost a little more for day to day upkeep due to toileting problems but little else.
Minimopsical cant walk properly its one step maybe 2 then fall over, she cant even squat to use litter tray, she lies on her side to piddle/poop, she can be very hard work but I know without doubt that she is happy and deserves her life.
You have a very tough decision to make and I feel your vet should enlighten you as to why he feels PTS is best, he should also tell you why ongoing treatment is needed and what for.
If I can help in any way I will, and God Bless you for agonising over this

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks T

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
bit busy at present will post later

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks T. The problem would be what would happen in the future as they couldn't be fostered indefinitely. The present carer wants us to take them but at the moment, there is nowhere for them to go. The final decision isn't mine - I feel we need to give the carer all the limited options. The vet mentioned ongoing treatment but wasn't specific. He is adamant that they should be PTS  :(

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Teresa is the best authority on this for sure  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
I certainly feel that these little ones should be given a chance by way of a proper assessment in a home environment at the very least, vets wanted to pts Minimopsical at 10 months of age because she went blind, she overcame it and is now over 5 years old. As for anaesthetic she was spay using the safest one at 5 months of age and was fine.
Pity you are so far away.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
isn't that what minimop (you know the rest!) who lives with Teresa has?  don't think she is blind though, might be worth asking her

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
We have a situation where somebody died and a man took care of his unneutered cat. The cat has had kittens. We have them on our waiting list but OKd for him to take them for neutering - a girl and a boy. I have just spoken to the vet and he said they are both blind and both cerebellum and he isn't sure that they will pull through a GA. He said even if they do, in his opinion. they aren't homeable and he has advised PTS is the kindest option. These cats have not been signed over to us yet so it is up to the carer to agree one way or the other. Do people think these cats are homeable? - I haven't seen them but all I know is they are blind and can't walk properly  :'( The vet said they would need ongoing treatment.
Sharon is having physio at the moment and I can't get hold of welfare. A decision doesn't have to be made until tomorrow. As none of us have experience with this, we would appreciate any constructive advice. Obviously we wouldn't dream of advising PTS if there is a reasonable chance of somebody being able to care for them. We have to see beyond how sad it is to PTS  :(

I will ask about sending an email out to all the branch supporters to see if anyone would be prepared to commit to 2 special needs young cats.

It's so sad  :'(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 13:29:13 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat