Author Topic: Booster & tumours?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Booster & tumours?
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 08:04:25 AM »
Fingers crossed with the lump removal and am glad the vet has suggested not having him vacc'd again.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 20:13:35 PM »
So pleased he is OK  :hug:

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 17:54:25 PM »
Thanks for your advice, we've just got back from the vets for a check up!  All is ok, his results are back in and thankfully they're saying the mass is the same as 6 years ago - a reaction to the injection.  The vet has suggested he doesn't have the FELV part of the booster from now on as it's this one that is associated with the tumours.  She said it was best we removed the lump rather than wait to see if it disappeared as the mass although not cancerous can develop.  I'm so relieved he's ok, just keeping fingers crossed he leaves his stitches alone now!!
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 15:49:12 PM »
The good thing is that vaccine related sarcoma, though agressive, is extremely rare, especially in the UK. There seem to be a few 'clusters' in the US where it is more common (though still rare) and apparently some US vets inject in the leg rather than the scruff of the neck on the basis that if the cat does develop sarcoma, a limb can be amputated rather than lose the cat. I did a lot of reading up on it when The Munchkin developed a lump after an injection. In his case it was just a reaction, went down after a week or two and has never happened since.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 15:34:38 PM »
I dont have mine vaccinated for FelV and Franta will not now be having any other booster either on the advice of two vets becaused they are worried that his immune systen will be comprimised.

He has had two bouts of seizures this year and is currently still on injections of abs for the current ones.

The insurance companies do not insist on vacinations if it will harm the cat

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »
Thanks Trigger, good to know about catteries although my two are that spoilt and used to their home comforts that unless family can come stay at mine i won't go on holiday!! lol

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »
the insurance company will just refuse any payout for a disease which could have been prevented by vaccination - it won't affect any other condition

and the good thing is that catteries don't insist on FeLV, if that is an issue for you
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »
That's great we're at the vets today for a check up so i'll tell them thats what i've decided either way of the test results.  Does it effect your insurance as i know they always ask that pets vaccinations are up to date

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »
I wouldnt do the Felv part of the vaccine either, especially as he has a history of a mass occuring before. My cats all go outside, and I've never vaccinated against Felv and never will. Hope the test results come back ok.

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:47:46 AM »
Thanks i wasn't aware of that, we're back at vets for a check up today so i'll ask them, my other concern is Cleo is due for her booster next weekend, she's never had anything like this but i don't want to temot fate

Thank you

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:45:23 AM »
I personally would stop the FeLV part of the vaccine, you can actually test for the antibodies to see if they need the vaccine, but most vets just keep injecting them. I dont know if FeLV actually does need to be done yearly, and cats do develop an immunity to it, so some vets dont vacc after a certain age with it. Fingers crossed for good test results.
Please spay your cat

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
Booster & tumours?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 07:37:51 AM »
Hi everyone, seems so long since i posted on here i keep popping on and having a look at your posts but haven't actually posted a new post lol!!

I had to take Jet to the vet on Monday as i found a small lump on his back just below his shoulder blade.  He's a cat that gets anything the vets think his immune system is weak so i do worry so much about him.  The first thing that came into my head was that he'd only just had his booster 2 weeks ago and back in 2003 when he was only 2 years the same thing happened.  He he had his booster and a couple of weeks later he had to have a mass removed.  The 2002 result came back as a chronic inflammation possibly caused by his jabs.  I was told a lot of research had been done in USA around the fact that the booster could possibly cause tumours in cats - vaccine associated sarcomas.  I looked into this but as Jet is an outdoor cat and likes to fight i decided to let him have his regular boosters and up unti now everything has been ok. 

Tuesday they removed the lump and i'm waiting for the results with a poorly cat who is feeling very very sorry for himself!  I just wondered if anyone else had had the same, i asked my vet if it comes back that it is a tumour related to the booster is it worth him having them??  Apparently it's the leukaemia part of the jab that causes the mass but as cats get older this is the one they need the protection against.

He is insured but as he had the same in 2003 it's unlikely they'll pay out so i'm left with a huge bill, but he's worth it!  :Luv2:

Link to CatChat