Author Topic: kittens with cat flu  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: kittens with cat flu
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 18:43:50 PM »
The abs also help to clear the eye complications.

I'm glad they're better.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:53:52 AM »
The abs may also be a preventative just in case the flu gets worse and serious infection sets in.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
I think the abs are usually for the accompanying chest infection - at least when Oscar has had flare ups that was the case

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »
HK - Also remember that flu is a virus so ABs won't do a thing. Antibiotics only act on bacterial infections. Rest and good diet are the main things to help viral illnesses, ABs will however treat secondary infections.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline catwomyn

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »
Hi,

I have to correct you here: <Please ignore the advice given by CP and GET THEM TO A VET AND ON ANTIBIOTICS ASAP. >

I stated that they had already been to a vet and been given an antibiotic injection. We also spoke to a vet on the phone and received advice.

They are loads better now anyway, the eye is normal, and both are much less snuffly. They are eating well and are really active and playful. Hopefully they can be homed in a few weeks (I really hope these guys get homed quickly as they are little monsters!).

Thanks again for the replies

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 04:53:43 AM »
A few months ago I had some feral kits and mum in my lean to. I noticed that the kittens had flu symptoms - gummed eyes etc - so trapped the family, put them in an unused room, and got them straight to the vet. They were put on Synulox, an antibiotic which I put on their food. (Mum had just weaned them.) They soon recovered and eyes are fine.

I still have them. Homing them soon.

Please ignore the advice given by CP and GET THEM TO A VET AND ON ANTIBIOTICS ASAP.

Cat flu can be fatal, don't mess about.

Sorry if that sounds a bit abrupt, but I'm worried about the kittens.  :-:

Also, I prefer to feed wet food with just a little dry food as a treat. Personally, I think that giving normal wet food is better than giving kitten dry food. Ideally, give them kitten wet food. They are less likely to become dehydrated and have kidney problems later in life.

Hope these babies get better soon.  :hug:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:58:47 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 11:35:20 AM »
This morning the eye is a lot better, it was open and it's not weeping. So I'm confident it's getting better. Of course I'll book the appointment if it deteriorates.

As to the Lysine, I checked it out in (peer-reviewed) vet journals and there are some positive reports and some that suggest it isn't very effective, but I do know some vets prescribe it and others recommend it. It certainly can't do any harm.

I'm glad the eye is looking better. You are quite right about lysine, it can be used safely in cats for cat flu type symptoms (herpesvirus in particular) and there are even veterinary manufactured lysine products now, although ordinary health food shop lysine is perfectly suitable. I had mixed results with it for my cat flu cats, they both had herpes virus, and I think it did lessen the recurrences and severity, although thats likely to happen anyway after the initial illness, so its difficult to say if it was down to the lysine, maybe it helped somewhat. .

Offline catwomyn

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 09:18:25 AM »
Hi and thanks for the replies. I checked out with the manager, and the kits had an antibiotic shot last weekend and the eye was checked then. Manager called the vetryesterday regarding the eye, vet said that I should keep with the fucithalmic for a week and then change to another kind of drop, and get in touch if it gets worse. It wasn't ulcerated.

This morning the eye is a lot better, it was open and it's not weeping. So I'm confident it's getting better. Of course I'll book the appointment if it deteriorates.

As to the Lysine, I checked it out in (peer-reviewed) vet journals and there are some positive reports and some that suggest it isn't very effective, but I do know some vets prescribe it and others recommend it. It certainly can't do any harm. Please don't worry I'm giving any quack remedy that someone suggests, I would never do that!

I guess it's just  a case of waiting for the flu to go away... they are certainly lively little things though, and are eating very well.

Thanks again

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 21:11:45 PM »
The longer its left the higher the risk of loosing an eye, especially if its being held shut. Id be straight to the vets tomorrow to get appropriate treatment, fucithalmic isnt always suitable and could do more harm then good if its ulcerated  :shy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 15:28:32 PM »
I don't want to waste our branch's precious funds on unnecessary vet visits,

At a time like this vets visits are not unnecessary and not a waste of a branches resources. Your vet really is the best person to advise you after another checkup. Speaking as a CP member of many years I know I would not be pleased if any of the fosterers gave any treatment advised by well meaning  firends without vets confirmation that it was OK. I have seen too many little ones lose their eyes and sometimes lives.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 15:36:25 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline catwomyn

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 15:20:10 PM »
they went to the vets last week before I took them for fostering. Should've said that, sorry!

I don't want to waste our branch's precious funds on unnecessary vet visits, but can't really judge how long to give them to get better.

meant to ask earlier, will a steam inhalation help?  No idea how I'd rig it up to keep them from falling in it, but it was a (probably mad) idea...

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 15:16:43 PM »
have you had them to the vets? they might need some ab's?

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 15:02:43 PM »
Hi there, and  :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Sorry I can't offer any practical advice, but hopefully someone will be along very shortly who can give you some further ideas and thoughts  :hug:

xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline catwomyn

• Kitten
kittens with cat flu
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 13:30:35 PM »
Hi, I am new to the boards and looking for advice.

I'm fostering a mother cat and her 2 kittens, the kits have cat flu but the mum is fine. The kits are about 5 weeks old we think, their eyes are still blue but they are now running around and bouncing... they are eating solids (with gusto) and I add a little water to the mashed up kitten food to keep them hydrated. I haven't seen them suckle from Mum in the last couple of days, but I have been out and about a lot.

I'm worried about how to help them get better, the CP branch is being great but I just wondered if any of you wonderful folk had extra advice.

They are both very snuffly and sneezy, one in particular is frequently sneezing. The very sneezy one also has a bad eye, very inflamed and sore looking but it doesn't produce too much discharge. I'm bathing it several times a day with boiled and cooled water (will start saltwater tonight) and cotton wool, and am giving both kittens Fucithalmic cream in both eyes as a precaution as well as to treat the gummy eye. But he holds his eye closed most of the time. I don't know how long to give it to see if it gets better - I think they've been in care only a week.

On the advice of a friend I'm giving them Lysine supplements, a capsule broken and mixed into their food (mum as well as a preventative measure). It's meant to be good for cat flu and runny eyes - I'm a bit sceptical but it can't hurt.

Are there any other suggestions? I'm not immediately worried they will die, as they are eating well, are quite chunky kittens, and are both very active, but I do want to help them recover as quickly as possible!

Thanks in advance

Link to CatChat