Author Topic: Cats and washing machines  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Cats and washing machines
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 20:48:31 PM »
Gosh this got exciting while I was at work  :evillaugh:

So in conclusion - cats are nosey little  :censored: who love little hidey holes, and will always try and get into the washing machine if they can regardless of any cunning ways you might try and discourage them - therefore it's important to always check, double check, close the door and do a kitty head count before switching the machine on! 

Basically, yes  :evillaugh:

Or if you are my OH (who doesn't even know how to switch the machine on despite the 5 year guarantee having just expired) check, check and check again. As in when we go out "make sure there are no kitties" - followed by "open the door again in case Willow caught her tail" :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 19:27:54 PM »
Gosh this got exciting while I was at work  :evillaugh:

So in conclusion - cats are nosey little  :censored: who love little hidey holes, and will always try and get into the washing machine if they can regardless of any cunning ways you might try and discourage them - therefore it's important to always check, double check, close the door and do a kitty head count before switching the machine on! 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 19:28:27 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
OK

I posted the link to the testimonials page for Liquivite. One of the testimonials (By Clare Hocking) says that Liquivite saved her cats life after it survived being washed in her washing machine. Fluffybunny then asked how I found the link and I explained it was when I was trying to find food or drink when Clapton was very ill. Hopefully that makes sense now?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:18:13 PM »
Then something is wrong, because I see answers related to food...

It's a shame cats can't read, otherwise you could have shown them Claire Hockings letter  Scared
http://www.liquivite.co.uk/product.html

I saw it a couple of years ago when Clapton first got ill. I was desperate to get some food/drink into him. He had virtually stopped eating before he started on Fortekor. Luckily one steroid jab kick-started his appetite and he hasn't stopped eating since.

btw - he wouldn't touch liquivite  Evil Laugh

and now I see, I didn't find anything in the link.

I used to have a top loader and I once was convinced my cat was in there because she was nowhere to be found.
I was too chicken to open it.
I was standing by the window, looking out and being very sad and frightened, when I turned around, she was looking at me from my fireplace. I was mad at here and kissed her the same moment.
God, that was such a terrible experience.
I never had a cat going in my washing machine/dryer, thanks heaven
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:21:59 PM by woodlandcats »
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
Tragically, a cat belonging to one of my friends got trapped in her washing machine whilst she was out at work last year.
'Whitey' couldn't be found anywhere and by the time she found him... it was too late. :'(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 08:29:38 AM »
Can't believe this thread started yesterday as I was going to start one on same topic yesterday but got distracted. 

As we have the 2 young uns now I am always on high alert esp with washing machine.  Loaded it yesterday and thought I'd checked as usual and switched it on. Heard the gushing noises of it filling up with water followed by sound of a kitten howling.  I ran to machine and tried to open door but it wouldn't open so switched it off and kept pulling at door as howling continued .... then both kittens just ran into kitchen from hallway.  Took me about 5 minutes to stop shaking and felt really sick.  No idea what the howling was about.  Perhaps they were just winding me up  :-:

You need to open the Claire Hockings letter WC which is the relevant one.  Very sad. Lord knows how her cat survived 45 mins in washing machine  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 08:17:11 AM »
How do they not? They highlight the importance of checking washing machines (and tumble dryers) before turning them on?

I'm not sure if there are any ways of avoiding cats getting in them other than keeping the door closed when not in use and checking carefully when loading them. Kylie used to have a habit of getting in the tumble dryer when it was warm which I thought was cute but then I decided to  start keeping the door closed after I unloaded it.

Pics are nearly 5 years old
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:34:29 AM by Mark »

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »
Am I missing something here? The answers don't relate to the question...
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 06:56:54 AM »
Blimey that poor cat!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 23:58:15 PM »
I saw it a couple of years ago when Clapton first got ill. I was desperate to get some food/drink into him. He had virtually stopped eating before he started on Fortekor. Luckily one steroid jab kick-started his appetite and he hasn't stopped eating since.

btw - he wouldn't touch liquivite  :evillaugh:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 21:46:49 PM »
How on earth did you find that, Mark! 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 19:24:44 PM »
It's a shame cats can't read, otherwise you could have shown them Claire Hockings letter  :scared:
http://www.liquivite.co.uk/product.html

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Cats and washing machines
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 18:11:01 PM »
My two are always trying to get in the washing machine and today Geoffrey succeeded in actually getting in it while I was loading it.  I always double check before switching it on but even so, I'd obviously really rather prefer they didn't try...is there a way I can actively discourage them from thinking what a great place it looks to get into  >:(

Link to CatChat